GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about $1700 worth of parts and still need to get about $900 worth before I can start rebuilding my LEA. I was looking at cylinder honing, and while the recall for the earlier engines doesn't implicitly state for the GM tech performing the recall work on the new piston rings to hone the cylinders I figure I will, or at least deglaze them. Per this guide it reads:

Using a ball type or self centering honing tool, deglaze thecylinder bore lightly. Deglazing should be done only to remove anydeposits that may have formed. Use a 240-grit stone ofsilicone carbide, or equivalent, material when preforming thedeglazing procedure

So based on that if I intend to use a flex-hone, which I do, then I should use a 240 grit and use silicone carbide but I thought aluminum blocks need aluminum oxide hones. Should I get the Silicone Carbide hone?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Aren't you planning on removing the motor? I wouldn't really suggest honing the cylinders (depending on mileage) at home with a bottle/ball hone on the 2.4 they have removable sleeves that are very sensitive/ soft. I would recommend if you are removing the motor get it done at a machine shop or do not hone the cylinders there is a good chance you could egg them out or gash them if they are out of spec they need to be taken out and replaced and good luck finding ecotec 2.4 cylinder sleeves. If you do hone just lightly to deglaze that would be fine especially where you use a honing tool before removing the pistons on the ridge if any. The dealers do not usually hone the cylinders.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The cylinder sleeves are cast iron and are definitely not "soft". This doesn't mean they can't be damaged by errors in a honing process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts