GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
172k miles. Vehicle went limp and I pulled codes for the fuel pressure regulater and evap. Unhooked a sensor to replace and check for wiring problems. Reconnected, cleared codes. Now only codes are misfire in cyl 6....should I prepare for spark plug or fuel injector replacement?

These are the snapshots

Attachments

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
At 172k on the original plugs you are long overdue for a plug change. Don't' keep driving it with a miss fire as unburned fuel going into the expensive cat. convertor will kill it.

· Registered
2012 Terrain SLT2 FWD v6 VVT 3.0L LFW 150,000 miles and counting
5 Posts
172k miles. Vehicle went limp and I pulled codes for the fuel pressure regulater and evap. Unhooked a sensor to replace and check for wiring problems. Reconnected, cleared codes. Now only codes are misfire in cyl 6....should I prepare for spark plug or fuel injector replacement?

These are the snapshots
Are you doing it yourself or taking it somewhere?

I just changed my plugs in my 2012 v6 3.0L w approx 150,000 miles. The plugs didn’t look all that bad.

It’s not hard but it’s not super easy either.

If DIY you may need an intake manifold gasket in addition to the plugs. Mine still seemed like it was in good condition but I just replaced it anyways because I had already bought it and didn’t want to find out the hard way.

Also when you remove the air intake hose, a good amount of oily sludge might pour out. For more on that you can search PCV orifice on this site.

When I took the coils off, cylinders 4 & 6 had oil in the spark plug well. I have since found aTSB for that issue with a costly solution. Hopefully thats not the case for you.

Automotive tire Gas Rim Auto part Circle

If the 2011 is the same as the 2012 cylinder 2, 4 & 6 are easy to get to without taking the intake manifold off.

If it were me, someone with relatively basic mechanical skills, I would start with taking the coil off cylinder 6 and inspect to see if there is oil or fluid in the spark plug. Might as well replace it while its out. While I’m in there I would remove the air intake hose/tube (connects the air filter housing to in throttle body) and empty the oily sludge out of it. Anything beyond that would be determined by how nice I feel like being to an ex. 🤣

I didn’t touch the injectors so I don’t have any advice for that. All I have done for my injectors is occasionally add cleaner to the fuel tank.

Font Rectangle Circle Number Screenshot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts