GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PSA

I heard a popping noise coming from some part of the lower front area of my Terrain. I took the vehicle to my local GMC Dealership and they determine my right CV joint failed. I am the original owner and the Terrain has not been in any accidents or abusive roads. The mechanic replaced the right "front-wheel drive half shaft". Should both CV joints have been replaced?

I purchased my Terrain Diesel SLT in December 2018. The vehicle had 30581 miles at the time when I took it to the shop.

Has anyone else had premature CV joint failure on their Terrain?

Regards,

SFCuriser
2018 SLT Diesel Terrain

·
Registered
223 Posts
It happens, just probably a defect. If it was under warranty I wouldn't worry about it. Millions of these things are made there is bound to be few that don't last long. Its just like wheel bearings some can last for as long as the car some go out under 10k. All manufactures have these few defects with these parts. You are the first one I have heard to have one go out.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
PSA

I heard a popping noise coming from some part of the lower front area of my Terrain. I took the vehicle to my local GMC Dealership and they determine my right CV joint failed. I am the original owner and the Terrain has not been in any accidents or abusive roads. The mechanic replaced the right "front-wheel drive half shaft". Should both CV joints have been replaced?

I purchased my Terrain Diesel SLT in December 2018. The vehicle had 30581 miles at the time when I took it to the shop.

Has anyone else had premature CV joint failure on their Terrain?

Regards,

SFCuriser
2018 SLT Diesel Terrain
There are two joints on that half-shaft (inboard and outboard), and they both got replaced when they swapped in the new half-shaft. Should they have replaced the other side? No. My experience is these half-axles last the life of the vehicle ... unless the boot tears (or is torn), allowing contamination ... but even then, you can clean and re-pack the joint with grease and drive it like that for several more years! I once rode on one for 8 years after cleaning and re-packing it. Cost me $20!

If a garage told me my half-axle was gone at 30,581 miles, I'd be inspecting that axle as soon as it came off the vehicle.

Reactions: rjayl

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Colt, you never cease to amaze me. I admire your frugality. Somehow you are able to get away with it.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Colt, you never cease to amaze me. I admire your frugality. Somehow you are able to get away with it.
Not quite what I accomplished with a worn CV joint years ago, but this guy (and his female accomplice) burns his tires up at 45:52, then loses his rim at 51:15, and “gets away with it” for a while (driving on a hub?) until the cops finally arrive to help him out at the end (along with a couple of dogs)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts