GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, anyone out there know how to get the axle off? I’ve seen a couple of YouTube videos but none seem to work. I’m removing the front left one due to a clicking noise every time I would turn.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Haven’t done one of those in years. Had to remove the brake caliper, then separate the hub knuckle from the strut and control arm, then push the axle’s splined end out of the knuckle. Then the axle was free on the outer end, and it just pulled out of the inner end (there was just a circlip around the axle that “locked” it in). Spray everything down beforehand to control the dust, and wear a particle mask.

You’ll need a breaker bar and 3’ steel pipe extension sleeved over it to break that axle nut loose to get going. I remember placing one of those small, black “Wonderbar” crowbars into the ring gear teeth to keep the engine from rotating while doing this. It fit perfectly - like it was made for this purpose...

·
Registered
288 Posts
colt hero is correct but I will add......the slines on the axle are sharp and can kill the transaxle seal. be careful how it comes out.also it is recommended that you use a sleeve tool when reinserting the axle into the tranny. see picturethe tool covers the splines till you get it past the seal, then you pull it off the axle and push it in till it wont go anymore.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts