GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose anybody notice cut outs on the bottom rear of both exterior rear door panels of the 2011 Terrain?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Those aren't cut outs. They're plastic overlays to protect the paint due to the body work being wider right there.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phantm006 said:
Those aren't cut outs. They're plastic overlays to protect the paint due to the body work being wider right there.
In my opinion, it would look better without the seams. I would rather see one uniform body without joints. It seems like there was an accident and somebody glued some of the door panel back together again with some glue.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm not sure I follow you. You're talking about the bottom corners of the rear passenger doors right? It's just paint protector sheets. The door itself is all one piece. You can remove them if you'd like. But your paint may get dinged.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phantm006 said:
I'm not sure I follow you. You're talking about the bottom corners of the rear passenger doors right? It's just paint protector sheets. The door itself is all one piece. You can remove them if you'd like. But your paint may get dinged.
So they are stick on or glued on. I'm not a big fan of the way it looks. Kind of like a stick and paste project for 4th grade.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I don't know. But I don't think they're not removable. Just watch out for freeway rock beds.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
What are you talking about? The clear protector on the lower body panel in front of the wheel? If so, its there to protect it from excess rock chipping. Its a 3M clear bra basically.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are right in front of the rear wheels, just above the plastic moulding, and directly in line with the door handle above.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yeah. They're clear overlays. I noticed them when I picked up mine. They'll probably peel off. Don't know how much muscle you will need. But like I said. Your paint may suffer. I'm sure that they're there for a reason.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that a solution to this protective problem could have been accomplished with much greater style. To the untrained eye, it looks like some kind of repair or patch job. Perhaps additional moulding or or a different material would give a more stylish and finished look. It definitely doesn't belong there. At first look, it seemed like some kind of access panel, or even worse, somebody made some kind of repair. The look is simply unfinished. Especially when waxing, I find minimal amounts of residue accumulating in the seams which accentuate the outline of the cover to a greater detail thus bring even more attention to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those are to protect the paint from road rocks, sand and such. The paint wont chip with those on there. I would suggest not to try and remove them.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
On many of todays cars this 'protection' is included to protect 'weak spots' from road debris ....in the design. Wheel flares...a more rakish agressive body style...often contributes to vunerable areas..even with 'splash guards'. A plastic film is used now..where in the past..a heavier crinkly paint was often used on those exposed areas that are subject to be easier damaged with normal road travel. Many new cars now have this plastic film protection on certain areas of the body. Nothing exclusive to the Terrain or Equinox. In fact..many owners now rush to put a very similar overlay on the front of their new cars for immediate protection. I'm not a big fan of it....but it has become quite popular. Many aftermarket dealers that once offered add ons such as 'rust protection' have switched over to the next latest and greatest 'protectant'...plastic film. Some heavier or thicker than others. None are completely invisible. There are always seams to deal with in any application.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
wbassnp007 said:
I think that a solution to this protective problem could have been accomplished with much greater style. To the untrained eye, it looks like some kind of repair or patch job. Perhaps additional moulding or or a different material would give a more stylish and finished look. It definitely doesn't belong there. At first look, it seemed like some kind of access panel, or even worse, somebody made some kind of repair. The look is simply unfinished. Especially when waxing, I find minimal amounts of residue accumulating in the seams which accentuate the outline of the cover to a greater detail thus bring even more attention to it.
A detailers brush will get rid of the wax Another one didn't you look at your vehicle before you bought it If this stoneguard bothers you this much maybe you should have walked away from the deal until GM restyles their vehicle ..

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
What would you rather have, that clear plastic sheet or the the black plastic clading that went 12" up the side of the car, like the Pontiac Aztek and many other cars and SUV's? I'll take the clear sheet any day. Matter of fact, I've even put the stuff on my Harley to prevent scuffs and scratches. I think it's great stuff.

·
Registered
749 Posts
wbassnp007 said:
Spoken quite well. You'd be a great narrator on the Discovery channel. You too IceMan...If I do say so myself.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
One thing I learned form entering cars in car shows, is the use of a soft toothbrush in cleaning wax and dirt from around emblems, pin striping and other types of tape edges. Like what wbassnp007 was saying about the outlines of the clear patches.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
fourmoremarine said:
A detailers brush will get rid of the wax Another one didn't you look at your vehicle before you bought it If this stoneguard bothers you this much maybe you should have walked away from the deal until GM restyles their vehicle ..
It's not a deal breaker but I feel that it could have been designed more tastefully. There are many different solutions to a problem. Management chose plastic overlays for protection. I guess some owners really like the way these protective pieces look and enjoy the aesthetics.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Id rather have the good looks of the vehicle protected than NOT protected.

Stop complaining about needless little things that do nothing to the actual vehicle. Remember, you did choose the vehicle for a reason over all its competition. If you dont like it, get rid of it. Please.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess they are really not that bad. But when I think about the seams, I would have preferred one uniform door panel without a patch job look. But you guys are right, the patch job look is insignificant compared to the overall package. The next time I buy a tuxedo, I'll make sure it has no patches.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
wbassnp007 said:
I guess they are really not that bad. But when I think about the seams, I would have preferred one uniform door panel without a patch job look. But you guys are right, the patch job look is insignificant compared to the overall package. The next time I buy a tuxedo, I'll make sure it has no patches.
Bet that tux will have cuffs on the pants so they don't drag in the water

1 - 20 of 22 Posts