GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife noticed some noise with her Equinox today so I had to take it out for a test drive.
What I noticed is that when a good amount of force is applied to the break pedal a crunching noise came from the front of the vehicle.
I am wondering if it is something with the ABS breaks, but I have NEVER heard a crunching sound before.
Car is clean only has 5000km

Has anyone else noticed this on their vehicle??

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,943 Posts
I've experienced this noise with my '97 Taurus, but not my Nox. On the Taurus, it happened for quite some time, but then eventually it just went away. In fact, I had forgotten about it until I just read your post.

It's a "crunch" noise when depressing the pedal harder than normal. I think it was coming from the pedal or its linkage INSIDE the car. I DID change the brake discs and pads on this car (because the discs were warped), but I don't think this had anything to do with getting rid of the "crunch" noise. I think it just suddenly stopped (but I don't know why).

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
2010 LTZ said:
Wife noticed some noise with her Equinox today so I had to take it out for a test drive.
What I noticed is that when a good amount of force is applied to the break pedal a crunching noise came from the front of the vehicle.
I am wondering if it is something with the ABS breaks, but I have NEVER heard a crunching sound before.

Yes - it is the ABS kicking in.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,943 Posts
So I should note yet another weird noise for my Equinox? First it was the horse-like "CLOP" noise (still occurring) which some here have said is a noise the ABS makes (I'm still skeptical), and now a "CRUNCH" noise is ALSO made by the ABS system?

FWIW, my '97 Taurus does NOT have ABS, so THAT "CRUNCH" noise could not have come from ABS. Plus, it absolutely did not sound like a 'normal' noise. It sounded kind of like something wiry/spidery ... maybe a spring (possibly attached to the pedal?) that had worn out (after 13+ years and 175,000+ miles) and was now being abnormally crushed during pedal travel. It definitely made an audible "CRUNCH" noise and the pedal had a very soft and indefinite stopping point at the end of its travel.

Maybe the new discs and pads DID fix it ... not sure ...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
2010 LTZ said:

Have you contacted your local dealership regarding this concern? There are many benefits to taking a vehicle to your local dealership. You can guarantee that technicians are certified and that the parts come with a GM parts warranty. For these reasons, I would recommend taking the vehicle to your local dealership to be diagnosed. They should be able to assist you further and have a plan for addressing the issue. I can also look into this issue further. In order to do more research, I will need some more specific information from you such as your name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, and current mileage. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me either on the thread or via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Re: Crunching sound when braking

Haole Da Kine said:
Anybody seen my cat ? :p
Yup...it's got a full belly now...and we sent it on it's way...should be home by 10...

wasn't yours... :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So our vehicle went into the shop.
The tech said the reason why the crunching sound is happening because there are 2 bushings at the front the vehicle used to swivel the front of the car when you break (nose of car goes lower to ground while breaking). Tech. said that he bushings are dirty because we have our vehicle oil guarded. Said dirt got in.
Makes no sense, if anything it should lubricate the past so it siwivels better.
So she still crunches under hard breaking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts