GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else notice that the CC is very sensitive? I've noticed ours down shifts 1 to 2 gears on some overpasses with the cruise set at 75 mph. I've crossed the same overpass without cruise and noticed the mph only drops 3 mph before getting to the top of the overpass. To me this will grealty effect mpg, especially when it downshifts 2 gears and RPMs jump up to 4000 or so.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I believe those anomalies are more due to the size/weight and power of the vehicle. I say that because I've owned enough vehicles in many classes, and they all have similarities in cruise control operation. For most cruise controls, nothing beats a strong V8 with a heavy vehicle. The 'Nox is just not that type of vehicle.

And, no it won't change the MPG much at all. If the transmission were to stay in the same gear, then more fuel would be dumped into the engine to provide enough torque to overcome the inclines.

·
Registered
635 Posts
lromero said:
Does anyone else notice that the CC is very sensitive? I've noticed ours down shifts 1 to 2 gears on some overpasses with the cruise set at 75 mph. I've crossed the same overpass without cruise and noticed the mph only drops 3 mph before getting to the top of the overpass. To me this will grealty effect mpg, especially when it downshifts 2 gears and RPMs jump up to 4000 or so.
Is that ECO on or off?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply NARG and it makes sense in better for it to downshift instead of dumping more fuel.

Roesterman,

ECO is off.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
You have an instantaneous MPG gauge which should allow you to prove which is more economical. I feel that I get the maximum MPG by anticipating a big hill, and turning off the Cruise before entering the hill, and let MPH drop a little without allowing the transmission to downshift. When it downshifts, the MPGs almost go negative !

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Slow down a tad. I noticed that it stays in 6th more when you are going around 72 rather than 75 and if it does downshift, itll only do it to 5th.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Do you ever get behind a car on a county road with 2 lanes and speed limit might be 55 and the person can't keep a steady speed? They might be doing 55 and then 60 and then 55 and then 50 and then 60 and you can't pass b/c to much on coming traffic. This drives me CRAZY!! Most people never heard of cruise control. If this happens, I will try and guesstimate what my cruise should be set at to determine his erratic speeds.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I've noticed this as well, it's almost as if the programming is aimed to maintain the set speed no matter what. Of course I much prefer this to CC's I've had in the past that are very lazy about trying to maintain the set speed..

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
NoobNox said:
I've noticed this as well, it's almost as if the programming is aimed to maintain the set speed no matter what. Of course I much prefer this to CC's I've had in the past that are very lazy about trying to maintain the set speed..
???

·
Registered
715 Posts
teetertotter said:
Do you ever get behind a car on a county road with 2 lanes and speed limit might be 55 and the person can't keep a steady speed? They might be doing 55 and then 60 and then 55 and then 50 and then 60 and you can't pass b/c to much on coming traffic. This drives me CRAZY!! Most people never heard of cruise control. If this happens, I will try and guesstimate what my cruise should be set at to determine his erratic speeds.
I've recently taught a 49 year old friend that cruise control is cool. Prior, she never used it, didn't quit understand it, and maybe was fearful to some extent. Now she's all for it. Loves it.

It's a option on many vehicles, at least the cheaper lines, and some just don't trust computers.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Before they had cruise control, my wife used to marvel over how I could maintain the same speed. I use the cruise control every chance I have in the city or out laying areas. It is so easy to operate and with the V-6 and transmission, it is so smooth.
Cruise is the best thing the industry invented. "Don't leave home W/O it." But, get behind traffic where people don't use it.......
[email protected]##$%^^&*()_? [most frustrating] as I am loosing fuel economy at the same time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts