GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 V6 Equinox that doesn't maintain it's speed when climbing a grade in cruise control. If the vehicle is set for 100 kph the unit will often slow down to say 94 kph then speed up to more than 100kpm at the top of the grade. It seems like the vehicle stays in too high a gear when it starts any assent loosing speed then it downshifts several gears to catch up but overcompensates at the top of the hill. If I place the vehicle in manual and downshift accordingly, the vehicle doesn't slow down noticibly. BTW - The vehicle has good power on the highway and as a whole.

My question, can the V6 models be equiped with a more aggressive shift pattern for hilly areas? The 4 cyls have an ECO mode that delays the shifts. Why can't GM include a sport mode for the more powerful models. Give the driver the option. I have had too many people climb up on my bumper while climbing a hill because of the sudden drop in speed. My dealership has informed me that there is no firmware upgrade for the V6 models. Don't the Caddys have the ability to modify their shift pattern to be more aggressive?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would be happy to look into this for you with the last eight of your VIN. Where are you located? Feel free to contact me privately. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My Buick does that. I would say there's about a 5% drop in speed and then it downshifts to get the speed back up. My guess is a GM thing. My guess is if you went with a more agressive shift pattern then overall it would eat more fuel in general.

·
Registered
715 Posts
On the highway, mine wants to downshift if the speed drops by 2-3 mph.

Only problem I've had with transmission was October in high heat and hills. It tended to shift down for a hill but seemed to 'hang' in that lower gear once it topped the hill and I was on a level part of the road. It eventually shifted up, but would do the same again on the next hill. Once I got home and the temps were more seasonable ( I was on vacation), it was back to 'normal' for the more gradual hills around here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ours seems to downshift if you blow on the pedal too hard. It is way too sensitive to me. I wish it would hold it in gear longer. I've gotten much better gas mileage putting it manual mode so it doesn't downshift so easily. Very annoying to say the least.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
RnB said:
Ours seems to downshift if you blow on the pedal too hard. It is way too sensitive to me. I wish it would hold it in gear longer. I've gotten much better gas mileage putting it manual mode so it doesn't downshift so easily. Very annoying to say the least.
I would think that using manual mode can ONLY give you worse gas mileage. It will limit it from going into higher (more efficient) gears, but it will still go into the lower gears (less efficient) in the same method, Can you explain this for my knowledge ?

Thanks !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts