GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a question. My mother is planning on moving my grandmother from Arizona to Philadelphia due to health concerns. Her plan is to fly out to AZ and drive back to Philadelphia in my grandmother's 2006 Equinox. (My grandmother is unable to fly). According to my mom's research, the Equinox is capable of towing 3500 lbs. Her plan is to rent a trailer for the Equinox in order to transport her belongings (Some bedroom furniture, clothing, etc). We would like to know if the 3500 lbs towing capacity is realistic. I wouldn't want my mom, grandmother and brother to get stuck somewhere in the middle of the country because they over towed the car.

Any comments, suggestions... are they out of their minds? Thank you!

LR

·
Registered
441 Posts
so long as the fluids are good, and its in decent shape, with a proper hitch youlll be fine.....you got some mountains crossing over Virginia and what not, you should be fine....IF the nox is in good shape.....

3500lbs is a lot.....bedroom furniture is big of course, but youd need a trailer for clothes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I assume the clothes will get boxed and thrown in the back of the truck.

The Equinox is leased. I am not sure how many miles is on it, but in all of actuality, my grandmother is 71 years old... where could she possibly have gone with it. It's not like she commutes anywhere. We are talking grocery store and back. And I'm assuming because it is leased, and she always leases, she has kept up on the maintenance.

So far, they are only planning on bringing a dresser, it's mirror, two night stands, the mattress, her tv, the tv table and a reclining chair. My bother has estimated the weights of the items, everything looks to be roughly 800 total.

But the trailer itself weighs 1200.. you have to include that in the tow capacity.

Ideally they should rent a box truck from uhaul and get a trailer for the car.. but it would cost $2000.. not including the gas. We are trying to keep costs down and be practical. This move was entirely un-expected. So. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 3500lbs includes the weight of the trailer itself...and you also have to play it smart if you're also loaded down with passengers/cargo inside as well. If it has been well maintained with no known drivetrain issues then it should be fine, but gas mileage will absolutely suck and you won't have much passing power. In any case, when in doubt leave it out. ;D Awfully hot time of the year to be doing something like this..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NoobNox said:
I'm pretty sure the 3500lbs includes the weight of the trailer itself...and you also have to play it smart if you're also loaded down with passengers/cargo inside as well. If it has been well maintained with no known drivetrain issues then it should be fine, but gas mileage will absolutely suck and you won't have much passing power. In any case, when in doubt leave it out. ;D Awfully hot time of the year to be doing something like this..
Yes it is hot here.. and there! And I'm sure everywhere in between. Unfortunately, My grandmother is by herself out there in AZ, and her doctors apparently don't know what the hell they are doing. So we are bringing her here, where her entire family is, and we have some awesome hospitals. Anyway, yes, we are only bringing what she absolutely needs.. and selling everything else off.. house too. Anyone want a house in AZ? Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
It may be wiser, and cheaper, to just buy new furniture in Phillie. There is a store called The Dump that has very decent prices. Unless your Grandmother's furniture is heirloom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts