GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted previously about my Equinox making a creaking sound when lightly applying the brakes at slow speeds (under 15mph). My car started making this sound at the end of the life the original equipment front brakes, which in had changed at about 70k miles at a tire shop. At my request the shop installed AC Delco “OEM” pads and rotors.

Unfortunately within a few thousand miles the sound returned. And at 85k miles it was unbearable to drive in traffic. I brought it to a dealer who identified a problem with the rotors, but had only uncoated rotors in stock, so I passed and went to an independent shop.

Here’s the rub, the independent shop confirmed that the rotors were unevenly worn, but when they removed the rotors, found that the hubs and bearing assembly were so completely rusted that it was impossible to grind them smooth—presumably what caused the rotors to fail after only 10-15k miles. What caused the rust to this extent? I’m not sure, and the tire shop is certainly at least partially to blame for putting new rotors on hubs that are totally rusted, but the rust on the surface of the hub bearing assembly might be something to watch out for if you are having strange creaking sounds braking.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
My '10s hubs were rusted very badly also. Worse than I had every seen on any of my cars. I also wondered why.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I had this exact problem with my 2014. It was hard to hear in the car, but my wife often picked me up from work. Standing outside, I could easily hear this long creaking sound when she was driving slow and braking.

I took it to the dealer for being under warranty. I assumed that it was something as simple as brake pads needing a little grease on the slides, but the dealer said there was a bulletin to replace the hub. They put in a new hub and I didn't hear the sound again.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish the dealerS I brought my car to knew about that bulletin, could have saved those rotors, or maybe even gotten a warranty repair. Oh well, can’t have it all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Replaced rear pads with Delco Advantage. Not rotors. Made a terrible creaking noise at every stop. Replaced rotors shortly after and it's better but still does it.

Makes the noise even stopped with brakes applied if varying pedal pressure.

Wonder if it's shims (used the new ones) or if maybe something can be applied to the back of the backing plate?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey everyone, I took the Advantage pads off and removed the paint from the pad ears, and a little metal too. They now slide easily in the caliper whereas they were jammed in before.

The make a LITTLE less noise, but still the same noise. (it's like as this thread) https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/acdelco-advantage-vs-durastop-brake-parts-103261/)
I can try to remove more metal to slide more easily, almost all the pad material is still there, but...

Are these GM pads just horribly noisy? The noise is annoying and people on the street actually turn and look at the wheels (I am not paranoid).

I can try Thermo-Quiet or Canadian Tire (Raybestos) next.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have used the TQ in several vehicles in the past and like them. Wagner or Raybestos are my favorite brake parts to use. I'm using the Wagner OEX currently in my Tahoe and on the front of the 'nox and so far , so good.
In the salt zone all brake parts rust, I lube my pad ears with synth. caliper grease to slow down the rust.
Ceramic pads are the quietest, I'm not sure if the Advantage are ceramic or semi metallic.
Make sure your caliper pins are free and not sticking. My Malibu's were notorious for that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK I am really pissed off now. I thought the Advantage pads were the problem, so I replaced them with a different brand, compressed the piston, lubed everything that contacts and slides, and it is exactly the same.

This began after pads were replaced, by only taking off the caliper, exchanging the pads, and replacing the caliper. Nothing else was touched.

I am not sure if the hub should be replaced, but it occurred only after pad replacement. What do you say?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will try that... clean the rotor surface.
It did the same thing with the winter wheels too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts