GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Nox has been running good so far, Mileage about 5,640 now.

Get in the Nox this morning, back out of space and I hear this popping/creaking sound.(like the sound of walking on old stairs or wooden floor or boat creaking) popping sounds like someone knocking on the door lightly with your knuckle.

Its only when I turn the wheel either direction. Drove a few miles, pulled over and opened the door to see if its just rocks in the tire or if I hear anything coming from the suspension, don't hear a thing. Its really just coming from inside middle dash lil towards passenger side front. What the heck!

I am going to take it to the dealer hopefully soon if I can get time off of work this week or next before they close . I hope its not anything major, will see what the dealer says, I will keep u all informed.

Does anyone else hear this on theirs, if so then it may be common and may be nothing, but its pretty loud and I never herd this before. I usually drive with the radio off most of the time.
I took a quick little video this morning so you can hear it. Turn your volume up. You can hear the sound and me starting to get bugged lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIVI3TyMKqo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? Please feel free to contact me with more information and I would be happy to assist you further. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do you hear this when driving? Or is it when you turn the wheel when sitting still or turning the wheel when going really slow?

The reason i ask is mine makes a noise, probably like yours, but only when I am turning the wheel when I am not moving, or if I am going really slow and I turn the wheel. My friend's husband said here is nothing wrong in my case. Can't remember what he said it was. I never hear it while driving or turning a corner going the speed limit (or thereabouts).

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea i hear it when i am driving or set in park. If i am going slow through a parking lot i can hear it turning in and out of parking spaces or just turning the corner i can hear it. Obviously when i am going freeway speeds i cannot hear it and i dont really turn the wheel that much unless you want to do flips down the freeway lol

Yea i wanted to know if anyone else hears it on theirs, thanks for the response. Makes me feel a little better if someone else hears it.
Its prob nothing but when i get time i will take it into the dealership for them to take a look.

·
Registered
112 Posts
bowtieman said:
Yea i hear it when i am driving or set in park. If i am going slow through a parking lot i can hear it turning in and out of parking spaces or just turning the corner i can hear it. Obviously when i am going freeway speeds i cannot hear it and i dont really turn the wheel that much unless you want to do flips down the freeway lol

Yea i wanted to know if anyone else hears it on theirs, thanks for the response. Makes me feel a little better if someone else hears it.
Its prob nothing but when i get time i will take it into the dealership for them to take a look.
I would be interested in knowing what they say - just for my own info. I let my friend's husband drive my car right after I got it. I pointed that noise out to him and he says a lot of cars do that. Never heard my Pathfinder do it, but it was 12+ years old. I don't know much about the mechanics of steering, but I would assume things have changed since 2000 (when I bought my Pathfinder).

But please post what they say when you do get a chance to take it in.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Ya that is audible alright, I believe the I4's have electric steering vs hydraulic.
As prissyrabbit mentioned, could be nothing abnormal, to me it just sounds like the steering components rubbing as you turn the wheel, like a tie rod as it is being pushed out of the cylinder, weird nevertheless, doesn't hurt to take it to the dealer of course.[/color]

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
We have an 2012 2LT V-6 bought on 3/7/2012 275 miles, we heard something similar when my wife was backing out of a parking space and turned the wheel hard to the left to pull forward. Will listen to see if it happens again. Don't want any problems we have a 1,000 mile trip in 2 mo.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I do notice a difference in the sound of the car when turning the wheel, as mentioned...slow turn or backing out of a space..

I had the HHR and a 2011 I4...neither sounded like my 2012 V6..

POLRCUB mentioned it..both my I4's had the electronic steering. My V6 is hydraulic..

But my electronic steering I4 was quiet. Didn't hear any popping.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes its strange, the sound is intermediate. Just waiting for a day to take to the dealer, might just wait til i need ny oil changes since i have free one coming from them.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to update took the Nox into the Dealer today to get the oil changed(still have free ones to use) and to check
this sound thats been going on with my Nox.

Told the service advisor to sit inside with me so he can hear it, he defiantly states he hears it so thats good, plus I let him listen to the video. Just told me they will take a look at it and see if there any problems.

When the Nox was done, he stated they didn't find anything going wrong and no issues. States sounds pretty normal and nothing is grinding or binding. He said its good that I brought it in since now its documented.

So I guess everything is fine, its still just annoying sound to me. Hopefully I can get to test drive another one to see if I can hear it. If I do I would feel much better knowing that sound is just how it is and I can turn up my radio in peace lol ;D

If anyone else hear's that sound please let me know, or just lie to me and say you have so I feel better lol
:cheers:

·
Registered
92 Posts
It is the electric power steering unit. There is nothing wrong. Most people are not familiar with electric steering, they can be noisy at low speed.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea i must not be used to it, since all my previous cars were hydraulic fluid steering. Found it strange not many people on hear reported that they herd the sound with their's and when I first bought it, i didn't hear the sound until 5k miles in. Maybe the electric pump is still getting broken in.
I want to see one apart and inside to see gears and mechanics just how it all works , very interesting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
there's a TSB out for the bolts that fasten the craddle to the body, mine are on order right now.
The vehicle makes creaking and rattling noises at low speeds in parking lots and in traffic, very noticeable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
do you have the TSB info?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alexleblanc said:
there's a TSB out for the bolts that fasten the craddle to the body, mine are on order right now.
The vehicle makes creaking and rattling noises at low speeds in parking lots and in traffic, very noticeable.
Yea is this well known? If so I am taking it to a new dealership since the other one says everything is fine. Wtheck lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bowtieman21 said:
do you have the TSB info?
nope, they just told my wife a TSB was out and they ordered the parts. She was the one to pick up the Equinox back at the dealer as i was out of town and that's all she knew about it.
I'll know more when it goes in - i'll make sure to ask.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alexleblanc said:
nope, they just told my wife a TSB was out and they ordered the parts. She was the one to pick up the Equinox back at the dealer as i was out of town and that's all she knew about it.
I'll know more when it goes in - i'll make sure to ask.
Did you also notice the sounds when turning or just driving In a straight line?
Mine makes the sounds only when turning.

·
Registered
99 Posts
yeah mine is only when turning, usually while at a stand still or very low speed

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bowtieman21 said:
yeah mine is only when turning, usually while at a stand still or very low speed
See that makes me feel better to hear other people hear that sound. If i have time i will take it to a 2nd dealership to get a 2nd opinion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts