GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

"creaking" coming from driver's side rear

30K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Phantm006 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Over the past week or two have noticed a really unpleasant-sounding "creaking" coming from the driver's side rear when going over bumps at low speeds - speed bumps in parking lots, etc. Sounds like nails on a chalk board. Took it into the GM dealer today and they said "the upper spring insulator was torn" and had to order a new one from the US, said it would take a week or two. Sounds like it's covered under warranty so far (at only 24,000km I should hope so!)
Anyone else have anything like this?

#2 ·
A couple of months ago there was a mass issue of us that had this creaking noise from the rear drivers side. (Myself included) When they fix your issue with the ordered part get them to check the parking brake cable bracket located near the rear door on the driver's side. They will have to re-locate the bracket if you still hear the creak.

#4 ·
So the insulator was replaced almost two months ago to the day and late last week noticed it again. Took it in this a.m. and they said now the e-brake cable has to be replaced, which they're doing next week. WTF is going on under my Terrain?!

#5 ·
I had this noise and the dealer said it was the bracket which they tighted. The noise was from the 2 hard clear plastic covers over 2 cables (I assume one is for the brakes and the other the parking brake) that were near the drivers rear tire that were rubbing together. I put a piece of radiator hose between the two plastic covers were they were rubbing and now no noise.

#7 ·
Had to have the whole e-brake cable replaced in the end. As soon as I started mentioning noise in the rear suspension at low speeds over bumps the service guy said he knew exactly what it was, apparently it's quite frequent.

#8 ·
DavidPJ said:
Is there a TSB for the parking brake cable/bracket? Our Terrain also has the noise.
There is a TSB for it. But being a known issues they should be able to pull it for you. You can have they bracket moved or they can order the newly designed bracket.

#9 ·
I have been in the dealer 2 times for creeking noise. first time tech said it was just a "flexing of the veh", (i had them get in the terrain and showed them) you can't miss the creeking, happens EVERY time you go to stop or take off. Next time, tech said heard it once, and lubed it. Not sure what he lubed.
As I drove out of the dealership, I turned right around, asked the SW to get in the car, and showed him there was no change at all. Creeking still very noticable. I will be returning this week again for the creeking noise. Today I rode in the back seat, and can hear the same creeking
in the rear of Terrain. I'm very concerned this is the way it is going stay. :banghead:

#10 ·
mwmacintosh said:
I have been in the dealer 2 times for creeking noise. first time tech said it was just a "flexing of the veh", (i had them get in the terrain and showed them) you can't miss the creeking, happens EVERY time you go to stop or take off. Next time, tech said heard it once, and lubed it. Not sure what he lubed.
As I drove out of the dealership, I turned right around, asked the SW to get in the car, and showed him there was no change at all. Creeking still very noticable. I will be returning this week again for the creeking noise. Today I rode in the back seat, and can hear the same creeking
in the rear of Terrain. I'm very concerned this is the way it is going stay. :banghead:
I also have to have this fixed on our Terrain. The noise is getting worse so I'm hoping I can duplicate it. I haven't found a TSB for the parking brake cable/bracket, but there is PI-0126A that describes similar symptoms but it's for the liftgate. See here for a little more info:
http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=2895.0

#11 ·
mwmacintosh said:
Mine doesn't do that, so they don't ALL do that. Complain 'til they fix it, if it bothers you. It shouldn't happen.

#13 ·
mwmacintosh said:
I would be happy to look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me with more information. It also would be helpful to include your contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealer name. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

#14 ·
mwmacintosh said:
Have you gotten anywhere with your issue? I'm having a similar problem when stopping or starting. It sounds like the creaking is coming from the driver's side wheel area. I've been to the dealer twice and the second time they replaced a washer in the axle per GM tech support, but it seems to be getting worse.

#15 ·
Schatten said:
Have you gotten anywhere with your issue? I'm having a similar problem when stopping or starting. It sounds like the creaking is coming from the driver's side wheel area. I've been to the dealer twice and the second time they replaced a washer in the axle per GM tech support, but it seems to be getting worse.
Did you ever have a case with customer assistance? I would be happy to look into this for you as well with your VIN or case number if you have one. Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

#17 ·
ronr said:
Kind of ironic this issue was on my wife's 2011 EQ and I just bought a 2014 terrain and had it 2 weeks and I'm getting the same noise , but I knew right away what it was, Why has GM not fix this issue :eek:hno:
Good question. I've gotten the bracket relocated and the new cable and I get the noise to this day. The most I can do is spray a little WD-40 on the area and that works for a few weeks. I don't have anything to put between the two cables at this point. They're very close together and I don't want to lose a finger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.