GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had 5 trouble free months with the Terrain. During this last week I have been hearing a creaking and popping noise from the front end at low speeds making right hand turns. Called the dealer for Saturday appt and was told they only do oil changes. No biggee,I could wait untilI had a day off. Suddenly,there was one big pop and the noise disappeared.

Drove around 200 miles this weekend and felt a shimmy or vibration from front end.Just thought it was the roads we were on.

Well, tonight as I pulled the car in I thought I would take a look and see if I saw anything. I stuck my head under the car and looked by the driver side wheel. What I saw amazed me. I don't know how this could have happened. There is a rod that connects the shock tower and the lower control arm together. That 2 inch thick metal rod was sheered in half,more like a third. The noise disappeared b/c the rod snapped in half but I have no idea how.

So,I took pics with my Blackberry from underneath and will make it very easy for the dealer in the AM. Drop it off, show them the pics and make them pay for a rental car. When I get the pics off my phone I will post them up.

Will report how it goes tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
That sounds pretty bad.

From what Im reading, it sounds like an endlink connector broke. Did you hit a curb or huge pothole recently?

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bballr4567 said:
That sounds pretty bad.

From what Im reading, it sounds like an endlink connector broke. Did you hit a curb or huge pothole recently?
It was the front stabilizer link.

Just had a heated discussion with Service advisor and then owner of the place. Refused to give me a Saturday appt last weekend b.c they don't look at creaks and squeaks then, just oil changes. I was first "drive in" today aside from appts. After 6 hrs they still hadn't put my car on the lift after i told them what happened and showed them pics. I knew they wouldn;t have the part so I just wanted it looked at so they can order part ASAP. Basically got ****ty customer service from advisor then berated by the owner. IT turned into a nasty shouting much with him telling me I should tow my car out of there and bring it somewhere else.

I told him great customer service he and his service advisors offer and we just got snide with each other and hung up. OVer the next 15 mins I got a phone call from advisor saying car was looked at and part was going to be ordered and the shop manager saying the same, Hmmm..wonder what happened there.

They have no idea why it would snap short of a lab looking at link itself. And to answer, I have not hit any big pothoes with the Terrain. I avoid at all cost b/c of tires not stabilizer links.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hmmm, Id still like to see those pics.

That is ****ty service though. Id make sure to NOT go back there again.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The good link and the busted link

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Wow. That is kind of scary. Ill certainly be keeping an eye out.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The saga continues.
Just spoke to Service manager and he said my Terrain won’t be ready today. AAARRGGHHHH!!!! Before I exploded with anger, he inserted a “Let me explain why….”
When I spoke to him yesterday I asked how something like this would happen. Metal just sheering in half like that is scary. So today when they went to replace the link they had 3 guys doing a CSI scenario. They took the old one off and he said it was a clean cut through. The thought someone tampered with my vehicle. They were about to call to ask if I had issues with anyone but thought better b/c it would have been easier to cut brake lines then try and cut through the link.
The went and mounted the new one hoping to find out more and they did. The new link was installing much closer to the strut tower than the passenger side. Upon further examination they worked their way all the way to the stabilizer bar. They noticed on the driver side, a wedge that is used to mount or hold the bar was broken off and missing. They figured it fell down in between the strut tower and the link and got wedged in there. Everytime I turned the wheel and heard the creaking and popping it was the wedge cutting through the link.
They now have to order the Stabilizer Bar and get it overnight. Hopefully it is a stock part.
For how bad the service experience started, I was surprised they took the extra step to find out why instead of just slapping a new one on. Conversely, they should have done a more thorough search yesterday so they could order all the parts. I think they just got me on the lift to shut me up.
So, another day without the Terrain and stuck in this Impala with a misaligned steering wheel and bad rotors. Yay me.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Well NY_Joe, it sounds as though they are trying their best to make it up to you.
I know it sux to not have your own vehicle, being that it's so new.

Now the question remains...
How did the wedge get broken off or go missing?
Yup, I'm gonna have a look at our Terrain when I get home from work.

BTW, thanks for taking the time to post the pics and your issue.
That's a great heads-up for the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I honestly can't tell you how.

I am very careful with potholes. Unless its totally unavoidable or sneaks up on me I will drive into oncoming traffic to avoid them. I have changed too many tires on my wifes cars for golf balls sticking out the side after hitting a pothole.

The rim and tires shows no damage of going through a major pothole. No bubbles, scrapes or bending. That is the first thing they looked for to blame me.

Could I have hit one and not remember??? Possible, but if it was that hard I would remember. Maybe a valet at an event we went to may be the culprit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Could have been a bad casting or tempered job on the rod. The fact that they did take the time to figure out why is pretty impressive, MUCH better than what they first did to you!

·
Registered
85 Posts
What is really sad about this story is the same thing has been happening for years on the Trailblazers & Envoys. A common porblem lately for GM's it seems.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
redlight_005 said:
Could have been a bad casting or tempered job on the rod. The fact that they did take the time to figure out why is pretty impressive, MUCH better than what they first did to you!
Bad casting (maybe some air pockets) could indeed be the root cause.
GM or their supplier should check the integrity of that rod with some non-destructive method before putting it on the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picked up after work at 7:30 through showroom. Didn't have to confront the service people again. I woul dhave thanked them this time.

After 2 seconds, I felt a difference. The steering was much lighter and effortless at a standstill or low speed. I noticed the change but just added power sterring fluid thinking it was low.

No creaks or pops so far. Also, feels like I am riding on a cloud compared to the bone stock base Impala I had.

I will scan Work Order and post later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts