GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2LT is built and on a truck as you read this. V-6 AWD. I can't wait to install all of my electronics in it and figure out how to mount the many antennas.
What got me interested in this vehicle when I was "looking", was the huge space in the center console. A must for us ham ops.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Post some pictures when you get your radio(s) installed. My setup is VHF/UHF (50 watts). I have not observed any RFI to the vehicle or any RFI from the vehicle to the ham radio.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There is a metric ton of room in there you could probably put my IC756PROIII in there LOL

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looking forward to pictures when you get some equipment installed.

I haven't done anything with mine since my wife and I switched vehicles temporarily (I am now driving the 2011 Regal) She is way under on the miles allowed on her lease so I am running them up and keeping them off the Terrain which we bought instead of leased.

Steve - aka n8tys

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's HERE. Picked it up 2 days ago. This thing rides much better than I thought it would (based on one test drive with the awd & v6.). Wish it didn't have 18" tires, who needs 'em? SO......who has mounted a "trunk mount" at the top of the rear door? It needs extra clearance....which one? I'll be going with a fold-over dual band antenna. NEXT, I've looked at a couple of heavy-duty mounts for the side of the rear fender, even a ball mount, which will be for my HF stuff. Who has done this and which mount was used? Then there's always the possibility of a mag-mount on the roof, but I used one years ago and just don't want to leave that thing on the roof all the time. Ideas - Ideas - Ideas !!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update - I have decided to permanently mount a Comet fold-over for vhf/uhf, probably the SBB-5. Since I share the garage spot with a Vet, the Equinox must enter during the winter months when the Vet is in storage. Thus, the fold-over. Local car-audio shop will do the install (they do police cars). Interesting: the shop warns that a hole in the roof may seriously lower the value when it comes time to trade it in. So, I checked with the dealer (actually the owner) and he said "we would never notice" and "don't worry about it" and "no change in value even if we did notice". :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts