GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a big vehicle having your side view mirrors correctly adjusted is a must. Having them improperly adjusted results in blind spots that the driver blames on the design on the vehicle when its them that needs to adjust the vehicle to themselves.

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

I even used this site to convince my wife to adjust her mirrors right as she complained that she had huge blind spots on her 09 Malibu and it took her about two weeks to get used to the new pictures in the mirrors. However, once she got used to it she understood that she now has a panoramic view behind her she loves it.

I challenge all of you to try this and see how much it changes your driving style.

·
Registered
635 Posts
To totally eliminate blind spot on passenger side intall a stick-on convex mirror. It should be installed near the outermost part of mirror, making sure you dont interfere with mirror housing.

I use the advise about adjusting mirrors but I slightly move mirrors back to see just a sliver of side of vehicle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've always done this. When you take a minute to think about it, it makes no sense to have your mirrors adjusted so you can see the side of your own car. When was the last time your own car hit you?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I adjusted mine to just barely see side of car on both sides. Went ahead and got a small round convex mirror for passenger side from Autozone that works great. Roesterman is right, put it on outside (outside top for me) and it works great.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Islander said:
I adjusted mine to just barely see side of car on both sides.
Why though? When was the last time your own car hit your own car?

If you adjust the mirrors correctly you lose the need for the convex mirrors. Yes, they do help but they are a bandaid for something that doesnt need to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Islander said:
I adjusted mine to just barely see side of car on both sides. Went ahead and got a small round convex mirror for passenger side from Autozone that works great. Roesterman is right, put it on outside (outside top for me) and it works great.
bballr4567 said:
Why though? When was the last time your own car hit your own car?

If you adjust the mirrors correctly you lose the need for the convex mirrors. Yes, they do help but they are a bandaid for something that doesnt need to be fixed.
I think most people, as I do, adjust mirrors to see a sliver of their own car in order to have something to reference to when looking in the mirror, especially on multi lane highways or open country roads for example.

Without a reference point, distances become hard to judge.

The key to using mirrors properly is to glance at them frequently and be aware of vehicles around you at all times, i.e. drive defensively.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
bballr4567 said:
On a big vehicle having your side view mirrors correctly adjusted is a must. Having them improperly adjusted results in blind spots that the driver blames on the design on the vehicle when its them that needs to adjust the vehicle to themselves.

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

I even used this site to convince my wife to adjust her mirrors right as she complained that she had huge blind spots on her 09 Malibu and it took her about two weeks to get used to the new pictures in the mirrors. However, once she got used to it she understood that she now has a panoramic view behind her she loves it.

I challenge all of you to try this and see how much it changes your driving style.
This theory all flies out the window when you have a load in the back that's obstructing the view of your rear view mirror.
Besides, on the Terrain, there is no way in heck the rear view mirror has a field of view as wide as that shown in the link, but good reading and thanks bballr4567.
:)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gearhead said:
The key to using mirrors properly is to glance at them frequently and be aware of vehicles around you at all times, i.e. drive defensively.
Yup.

However, when you adjust the mirrors and get used to that, you loose the need for a reference point. Its a strange feeling to look in the mirrors and see nothing but its showing the information you need, not the information you want.

·
Registered
446 Posts
gearhead said:
This theory all flies out the window when you have a load in the back that's obstructing the view of your rear view mirror.
Besides, on the Terrain, there is no way in heck the rear view mirror has a field of view as wide as that shown in the link, but good reading and thanks bballr4567.
:)
Darn good observation. I'll stick to my small fish eye mirrors. Just makes more sense.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I guess it all comes down to however your comfortable and I'd be willing to try it.
However, one other scenario that would be of concern to me is when I'm backing into the garage.
I use the rear view mirrors almost exclusively (and of course the camera and ultrasonic sensors if it's the Terrain).
I'd hate to wipe out the other vehicle on one side or the recycle containers stand on the other LOL!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I installed convex mirrors and they have saved me more than once! ;)

Brian

·
Registered
118 Posts
scottyyyc said:
I've always done this. When you take a minute to think about it, it makes no sense to have your mirrors adjusted so you can see the side of your own car. When was the last time your own car hit you?
Does it count if your wife is driving the car at the time?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like my mirrors adjusted to just see the side of the car and to get the widest angle to cover the blind spots. This still does not capture some of the blind spot. For those who use convex stick-on mirrors, are they affected by Terrain's heated mirrors so they don't stick?

Thanks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
quote author=Rich link=topic=491.msg5521#msg5521 date=1268823780]
For those who use convex stick-on mirrors, are they affected by Terrain's heated mirrors so they don't stick?

Thanks.
[/quote]
No...heated mirrors dont get hot enough to liquify adhesive. Just a little above freezing!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I saw this mirror adjustment method a few weeks ago. I tried it out, and yes I do see a significant advantage to adjusting them this way. They are perfect in light to moderate traffic. However, in rush hour, setting them up this way makes changing lanes VERY difficult, as you cannot judge the space between the vehicle passing you and the car behind them. Adjusting them the traditional way restores this ability.

I picked up a convex stick-on mirror from Autozone for $1.99. That right-side blind spot just leaves me uneasy, so I had to address it. Great concept in theory, but in practice it does not work for me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
as someone who drives for pretty much drives for a living (350,xxx+ personal, and work miles in 10 years) i can say for real world driving, that is a horrible way to set your mirrors....

good points were already given, mainly having a reference.....which comes into play for a few reasons....changing lanes (can i fit in there).....parking (where are those lines at), not to mention backing up (did i cut it close, or where is that post at)....

best thing...convex mirrors......not just the blind spot mirrors...multivex makes amazing mirrors....no need to even turn your head with them.....on my mazda i was able to follow a car from the rear view, right up onto the side view with no question as to where he was at in relation to me.....i still have yet to order them for my nox..., they dont make them yet for the new thetas (sorry guys)

but most important is being aware of where everyone on the road is at; at any given time....people do not scan the whole road (front back and sides) nearly as much as they should.....how many times do run up on someones ass in the left lane? me? quite often, and i shouldnt have too...they should see me coming at least for a few seconds....but no, it takes them 5-6 seconds just to finally see me in their mirrors.....

keep aware of whats around you, and you wouldnt need to worry as much about side swiping someone in your blindspot....

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just takes getting used to is all. My wife uses this method and she never complains about it.

I would never say that the proper way to set your mirrors is horrible. It seriously takes getting used to and obviously doesnt work when you are used to a large vehicle that you cant use your rear My father in law drives a big rig as well and he cant deal with the adjustment going back and forth but he does like the way you can see almost ALL the way around your vehicle. You can follow a vehicle from your rear view, to the side mirrors and then into your peripheral vision.

I will say this though too. It takes a person who pays attention to driving to drive like this. However, is that really a bad thing? ;D

Its hard to change habits. I still know people who change their oil at 3000 miles.

·
Registered
119 Posts
BigDanInTX said:
I saw this mirror adjustment method a few weeks ago. I tried it out, and yes I do see a significant advantage to adjusting them this way. They are perfect in light to moderate traffic. However, in rush hour, setting them up this way makes changing lanes VERY difficult, as you cannot judge the space between the vehicle passing you and the car behind them. Adjusting them the traditional way restores this ability.
I agree with you, I tried this for several weeks, (approx 3-4000 miles) and changing lanes in traffic is very hard. I'm much more comfortable with the mirrors the "standard" way

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like I said, its hard to get out of your comfort zone. Ive been driving for 10 years so I guess its easy for me to switch.

·
Registered
113 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Like I said, its hard to get out of your comfort zone. Ive been driving for 10 years so I guess its easy for me to switch.
Comfort zone is one thing, I drive in too much traffic for this mirror set up to be safe. I'm good for 30k per year on the road in a major city and this set up would be suicide.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts