GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 Chevy Equinox LT - 64,500

I replaced my coolant a several months ago (drain & fill - roughly 58,000) and have noticed my engine temp. gauge will rise to about half way once I stop and sit at an idle after driving 15 minutes plus. The gauge will rise to about half way and then the cooling fans will kick on and drop the temp back down.

It never used to do this before I change the coolant, so I am wondering if I need to burp the cooling system or is there a bleeder valve.

Thank you

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would guess there could quite likely be a bleeder valve or 2. A person that is in the know might ask which engine (if there were different ones availble that year)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Terra-Nox,

I'm not sure which engine it is. How would I go about find that out?

I do a lot of bolt on bolt off kind of work on the NOX, but I am no mechanic...haha

Thank you

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ok, I did a little surfing and I think the 3.4 V6 was the only engine available that year. I believe it should have 2 bleed valves. Exctly where they are I don't know, but someone here should.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found one of the bleeder valves and definitely got some air out, which is a relief. It was located right next to the top of the headers cover.

I appreciate the help!

I will crawl under the car this weekend and see if I can find the other.

Once I do, I will try and test it to see if it gives me the fix I was looking for.

·
Registered
482 Posts
cavalier35 said:
I will crawl under the car this weekend and see if I can find the other.
It will be on top somewhere, I think there is one near the T-stat, is that the one you found?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Terra-Nox,
I appreciate the help today. I wasn't able to find another bleeder, so I gave Chevy a call and the parts guy asks one of their service tech's where the other one was, but he said it's just that one.

I plan on driving about 30 minutes straight without stopping, so I will let it sit at an idle before shutting it off to see if the temp gauge stay's level now I got some of the air out.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drove about 45 minutes straight and stopped to unload the car, so I kept the vehicle running and the temperature gauge began rising again. It doesn't over heat, but the engine definitely gets hot and the fans will kick on and drop the gauge back down below half way.

I plan on doing a drain and fill using the bleeder screw and will see if I can get all the air out of the system.

Each time I check the bleeder screw, I get more air out of the system so hopefully the drain and fill will remove it and fix the fluctuating temp gauge.

·
Registered
2011 Chevy Equinox 2.4L (LAF) LS FWD
39 Posts
I drove about 45 minutes straight and stopped to unload the car, so I kept the vehicle running and the temperature gauge began rising again. It doesn't over heat, but the engine definitely gets hot and the fans will kick on and drop the gauge back down below half way.

I plan on doing a drain and fill using the bleeder screw and will see if I can get all the air out of the system.

Each time I check the bleeder screw, I get more air out of the system so hopefully the drain and fill will remove it and fix the fluctuating temp gauge.
It sounds like you may be having the same issue a few other guys are having on here also....
i don't wanna jinx you but it could be the head gasket blowing air into the system also, it's happening to me and I have the 2.4L ecotec, but the other guys on here have the V6 also....
Check the radiator for exhaust fumes and see if you are having random misfires and some white smoke coming out of the exhaust even after it warms up....
Let me know what you came up with cause I just realized it was back in 2011 when you posted this, lmao....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts