GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What software can I use to do this?

Preferably free but I will pay if it is worth it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gearhead said:
Here's a whack of links, get the ones that have been tested spyware and virus free.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=free+itunes+to+mp3+converter+download&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=0&oq=free+itunes+to+mp3+converter

Matter of fact, do a search right on tucows.com or download.com or cnet.com.
They've been around forever and usually don't post up any garbage.
You can try shareware as well for 30 days or so, then just uninstall it and download another one.
I just spent the better part of 2 hrs going through that list and doing my own search. Most of the programs are not free. The have a free trial which converts the first 3 minutes, if they recognize the file at all. Most of them do not recognize the .m4p file extension. The recognize .aac but Itunes won't convert to .aac b/c its protected media.

I found 1 program that wors, but the free trial only does 3 minutes. I have to figure if its worth plunking down 34.95 for the program.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Format Factory is free and works well, including with m4a, but i'm not sure about m4p. however, i don't have the latest version, so it could very well do this now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not to bad. Itunes will do it for you. Go into your itunes preferences, go to the CD Import settings. Change the import file type to .mp3.

Then, go into your library, highlight the songs you want to make an mp3 version of. Then, go up to the menu bar, and click Advanced, then you will see a selection titled "Create MP3 Version" ....your done.

But this will duplicate the songs you chose, so, you have to go to the view menu, and choose Show View Options, and put a check in the "Kind" box. This will put a column in iTunes, so that you sort through the file types by clicking the header of the Kind column, you want MPEG-Layer 3 ;D

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gmc_noob said:
Not to bad. Itunes will do it for you. Go into your itunes preferences, go to the CD Import settings. Change the import file type to .mp3.

Then, go into your library, highlight the songs you want to make an mp3 version of. Then, go up to the menu bar, and click Advanced, then you will see a selection titled "Create MP3 Version" ....your done.

But this will duplicate the songs you chose, so, you have to go to the view menu, and choose Show View Options, and put a check in the "Kind" box. This will put a column in iTunes, so that you sort through the file types by clicking the header of the Kind column, you want MPEG-Layer 3 ;D
That doesn't work with music bought from Itunes which are most of my M4p files. It won;t even burn them to a CD. It comes up with a message that protected music can't be converted.

I need to buy this software I guess to convert what music I have to .mp3

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've been warning folks for years to never buy music from iTunes. Apple's proprietary format stinks in cases like this and others. I used to stick to "buy the CD and rip it", but since Amazon and Wal-Mart, among others, now offer MP3 downloads with out DRM restrictions (copy protection stuff. This is probably why you can't burn the CD from the .mp4 files...) that has become a good option.

iTunes should be able to convert them. I use Winamp for most other audio changes, try it: http://winamp.com
This is a long time liked conversion app: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ But not sure if it does .mp4 files.

I'm sure you won't find any paid or free app that will convert DRM restricted .mp4 files.

·
Registered
19 Posts
SnowItch said:
According to another poster (I don't use iTunes either), iTunes will now convert the DRM tunes to non-DRM.
iTunes won't convert DRM to non-DRM songs. However, you can "upgrade" your songs for $.30 each through iTunes. (The non-DRM version are also recorded at a higher bitrate.) I have never upgraded mine as I only use iTunes and iPods to listen to my music. I would say about 1/3 of my songs are DRM'd.

·
Registered
25 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts