GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just wanted to get some opinions. We have had our 2014 AWD 4cyl for roughly 3 years now and honestly enjoy the car but have a view things that make me want to see if its worth considering a different ride... either other brand or try out the 2018 model year

My main gripes about this car is:
-MPG, we average about 20-22mpg. I remember reading everywhere how good the MPG was on the 4cyl so was excited to get one, ended up getting a AWD which wasnt my first choice and i knew it would effect MPG but dang, didnt think it would be this bad

-Lack of power the engine has. Its almost scary taking it in the mountains on steep climbs.

-Lack of storage space in back hatch.

-Lack of vents in the rear. We have our second child on the way so this would really be nice.

What i love and was honestly the main reason buying was the leg room. Im 6'4" and love how roomy the front is. Also the back has the most legroom ive ever seen for the size of the vehicle.

With all that in mind, does anyone have recommendations of other mid size SUV's i might consider looking at if legroom, power and rear air vents are the biggest priority. I do not have a new car price budget so used would be my option.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Hello all, just wanted to get some opinions. We have had our 2014 AWD 4cyl for roughly 3 years now and honestly enjoy the car but have a view things that make me want to see if its worth considering a different ride... either other brand or try out the 2018 model year

My main gripes about this car is:
-MPG, we average about 20-22mpg. I remember reading everywhere how good the MPG was on the 4cyl so was excited to get one, ended up getting a AWD which wasnt my first choice and i knew it would effect MPG but dang, didnt think it would be this bad

What i love and was honestly the main reason buying was the leg room. Im 6'4" and love how roomy the front is. Also the back has the most legroom ive ever seen for the size of the vehicle.

With all that in mind, does anyone have recommendations of other mid size SUV's i might consider looking at if legroom, power and rear air vents are the biggest priority. I do not have a new car price budget so used would be my option.
We moved to a 2019 GMC Acadia SLT-1 . Just a bit larger on the outside than the 2015 Equinox LTZ we had and much more cargo and interior room. The 3rd row seats fold completely flat and give 43.9 cu ft of cargo space and passenger and leg room is much better along with a quiet ride and comfortable seats.
Plenty of leg room, rear heat and air including rear floor and ceiling vents.
The 3.6L V6 engine we have gets surprisingly good MPG and better than rated. We average 22 MPG around town and easily 28 MPG on interstate drives. The life time MPG for all driving so far is 25.6 MPG for all driving.

We bought ours at Laura GMC in western Illinois just outside St.Louis where they sell at prices that are unbeatable.
They even have some 2019 V6 models for under $32K.

Many buyers take the train, drive or even fly there to purchase a vehicle.

Reactions: Crankme69

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I second JayTee's post. The newer Equinox/Terrain have a smaller cargo area than the 2nd gens, I had the 2.0 Turbo and my mpg were slightly less than what I was getting with my Acadia. 2017 & up with the V6 should give you anywhere from 21-24 city and 28-30+ hwy depending on how you drive. I had the Denali and that had 2nd & 3rd row vents not sure what the lower trims had, JayTee can chime in on that. The 3rd row seats are meant for short trips, are great for small one or taking bigger one and friends to practice and whatnot. One thing with the 3rd row seat up cargo area is small.

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I second JayTee's post. The newer Equinox/Terrain have a smaller cargo area than the 2nd gens, I had the 2.0 Turbo and my mpg were slightly less than what I was getting with my Acadia. 2017 & up with the V6 should give you anywhere from 21-24 city and 28-30+ hwy depending on how you drive. I had the Denali and that had 2nd & 3rd row vents not sure what the lower trims had, JayTee can chime in on that. The 3rd row seats are meant for short trips, are great for small one or taking bigger one and friends to practice and whatnot. One thing with the 3rd row seat up cargo area is small.
For 2019 and 2020. . Acadia SLT trims have rear 2nd and 3rd row heat and air vents as well.
Loving our Acadia SLT-1.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I agree the Acadia would be the next step up for you sizewise ... and I’d also say it’s a better value than the Blazer right now pricewise.

If I were you, I’d try to locate a 2019 SLE-2 “leftover” somewhere. Based on the pricing I’d researched last year, I would think you’d have a shot at paying $26-$27.5k for one (IF you could find one) ... and that would be a very good value, IMO.

UPDATE:
If you bought used, I just looked up a 2017 Acadia SLE-2 with standard options and 36,000 miles on kbb.com and it's showing a trade-in value of only $15,600-$17,500, and Private Party value of $19,500-$21,800 ... which means you might be able to crack $20k on one at a car dealer.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Maybe even see if you can find 2017 that just came off a lease, mileage should be not more than 36K. They started selling mid year 2016, so even used the mileage shouldn't be much more than 50K. But everything will depend on your finances.

·
Registered
110 Posts
As most state, the Acadia will resolve all your issues except fuel economy I would think. I do want to point out that the '18 plus nox although lists a small for the segment cargo area it still holds a lot of stuff. I came from a '17 Rav4 that lists cargo area as 38 cu.ft. where the Nox is 30 cu.ft. if I recall correctly. Still, I pack the same luggage and dog in the back while the rest of the family rides up front with more comfort than in the Toyota. I don't think GM uses the under floor storage in their calculation. I use it for the smaller items on long trips which is how the larger luggage and the dog still fit (she is a 75lb shepherd mix). The 1.5T has also been incredibly fuel efficient in my use. I average better than the listed hwy rating and in certain conditions have even gone will past 40 mpg.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Speaking candidly, I would avoid vehicles that "recommend" premium fuels. The 1.5T if that fits your needs and it most certainly may coming from the 2.4 or if ya need a little more go I'd recommend the V6. Premium fuel here in the Midwest can be close to $1.00 more than regular. No way I would buy another vehicle that recommends premium fuel ever again...it just doesn't add up or make sense to me. I'd rather have the 6 cyl that gets a few mpg less that will burn regular.

JMHO and I'm offering it for free!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The OP stated he was getting 20-22 mpg, lack of power and lack of storage space in the back hatch were issues for him. I know the EPA rates the V6 at 18 city & 26 hwy but I can attest getting better than that with our V6 we got 23-24 city and 28-30 hwy. Now our city driving did not include a lot of stop and go traffic. If what he means by lack of storage space in the back hatch equates to cargo space then the newer Equinox/Terrain has a smaller cargo area than his current model. Don't get me wrong the new Equinox/Terrain (even the Envision) are fine compact CUVs, but I think for what he's looking for the Acadia V6 will fit all of his needs for MPGs, power and space.

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Agree.. . and the 3.6L LGX V6 in our +2019 Acadia does, in fact, get better MPG than even the 3.6L LFX V6 did in our 2015 Equinox.
And .. . I hand calculate gas at every fill up. So I can very safely say we get +22 MPG in mixed city driving which is mostly grocery and home supply stores within 6 miles and stops, traffic lights, and speeds of 30 to 40 MPG.

On highway trips we've take so far, we had seen as high as 33.6 (DIC reading) at 55 to 60 MPH and 28 to 31.4 MPG hand calculated on the interstate of 65 to 72 MPH including going through a few road construction spots.

The reason for the higher DIC reading I posted is likely because that is for the "Last 50 Miles" setting that was used. The V4 mode kicks in quite often even at highway cruising speeds of 65 to 70 MPH on level stretches and even slight grades as long as gas pedal pressure is steady.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just got a '20 Traverse High Country. Talk about space inside, way more than the Acadia, websites list the GMC at 79 cu. ft. and the 'verse at '91 cu. ft. . We looked at both an yes it's a visible difference.
Darn 'verse has 16'' more length behind the 2nd row seats than my Tahoe.
Has FWD mode as well as AWD so I'm thinking is should match the 25 mpg that my 3.6 'nox is getting now when it's in FWD mode. Time will tell.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Just got a '20 Traverse High Country. Talk about space inside, way more than the Acadia, websites list the GMC at 79 cu. ft. and the 'verse at '91 cu. ft. . We looked at both an yes it's a visible difference.
Darn 'verse has 16'' more length behind the 2nd row seats than my Tahoe.
Has FWD mode as well as AWD so I'm thinking is should match the 25 mpg that my 3.6 'nox is getting now when it's in FWD mode. Time will tell.
The Traverse is larger for sure. If a person needs or wants that much.
But, the OP just wanted something with " . . legroom, power and rear air vents are the biggest priority. " The Acadia has this without taking up more garage or parking space.
And. . . for less $$$$
We looked at and priced a Traverse. Couldn't come close to the $30,779 we paid for our 2019 Acadia SLT-1.
As far as MPG. Doubt the Traverse will get the +28 to 31 MPG the Acadia does since the Traverse has so much more bulk.

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
JayTee - you need a YMMV caveat when you quote the 28-31 mpg. Sort of an "up to". Boy, "up to" is one of my biggest marketing pet peeves. It means nothing. Sorry !

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
JayTee - you need a YMMV caveat when you quote the 28-31 mpg. Sort of an "up to". Boy, "up to" is one of my biggest marketing pet peeves. It means nothing. Sorry !
I get that. . . So sorry. But in previous post #2 ( and more in Post #10) I stated - -
" The 3.6L V6 engine we have gets surprisingly good MPG and better than rated. We average 22 MPG around town and easily 28 MPG on interstate drives. The life time MPG for all driving so far is 25.6 MPG for all driving. "

And, I was responding to "repairman" who referenced his 25 MPG ambiguous figure . . . city? Highway? Combined average?
Otherwise . . I could state the 99 MPG BEST I get while coasting or going down hill. . . LOL

·
Registered
554 Posts
I get 99 mpg , well at least when coasting downhill also. LOL
YMMV , "Your Mileage May Vary"
I would be happy with a overall 25 mpg in the Traverse like the 'nox. Time will tell after breaking it in.
My Tahoe is back up to 18 mpg from 16 since changing the front o2 sensors so 25 overall avg. is very good to me. My 2.5 Malibu is only at 26 overall.
Toss a 6x6x12 cargo trailer on the back and the Tahoe goes to 12 mpg. whether trailer empty or loaded. Same with the boat. I would expect at least the same impact on the rest of my fleet.
Denali vs High Country, same money but a lot less vehicle with the GMC, plus 5k tow package standard in the HC.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Yes . . . I do know what YMMV means. Speed, wind, hills, weather conditions, traffic, construction, etc all can have an affect on MPG.

I have a truck also, but don't know what a truck MPG you mention has to do with the Traverse, Equinox, or other MPG in this topic.
EDIT: On a drive we took yesterday in our 2019 Acadia SLT-1 of 56 miles with the A/C running (outside ambient temp 82F), the DIC (last 50 miles setting) displayed 32.4 MPG going at speeds of 55 to 65 MPG on semi rural 2 lane highway with some pretty steep rolling hills in parts as well as going through a few small towns .

·
Registered
302 Posts
JayTee, please clarify for an old guy that confuses easily, the outside ambient temp was 82 degrees, or you had your climate control set at 82 degrees? If it's the latter you're a glutton for punishment and a hyper-miler whose mpg figures won't have much relevance to the less masochistic of us folks. :)

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
JayTee, please clarify for an old guy that confuses easily, the outside ambient temp was 82 degrees, or you had your climate control set at 82 degrees? If it's the latter you're a glutton for punishment and a hyper-miler whose mpg figures won't have much relevance to the less masochistic of us folks. :)
No worries. I confuse myself all the time. . meant the A/C was on . . . since it was 82F outside. Had the A/C on for quite some time at it's lowest setting "Lo". After about 30 minutes of driving we set it at 70F .

Reactions: garagerog

·
Registered
958 Posts
As far as MPG. Doubt the Traverse will get the +28 to 31 MPG the Acadia does since the Traverse has so much more bulk.
View attachment 16804 View attachment 16805
JayTee--I have really been surprised with the mileage we are experiencing with our Traverse. We drove to Dallas and back on Friday and our mileage was 30.2 going up and 27.8 coming back. Slight wind from the south and a little more jostling of speeds due to traffic on the way back. Speeds ranged from 60 mph thru Waco to 70 and 75 mph on remaining stretches. The Traverse now has 6,000 miles on it and I consider it fully "broken in". In all fairness, i expected highway mileage to be in the 27-28 mpg range when we purchased it. The figures from GM state that the Acadia would get better mileage than the Traverse. Regardless, I'm please with our results. Take care.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
JayTee--I have really been surprised with the mileage we are experiencing with our Traverse. We drove to Dallas and back on Friday and our mileage was 30.2 going up and 27.8 coming back. Slight wind from the south and a little more jostling of speeds due to traffic on the way back. Speeds ranged from 60 mph thru Waco to 70 and 75 mph on remaining stretches. The Traverse now has 6,000 miles on it and I consider it fully "broken in". In all fairness, i expected highway mileage to be in the 27-28 mpg range when we purchased it. The figures from GM state that the Acadia would get better mileage than the Traverse. Regardless, I'm please with our results. Take care.
Wow. . good to know. Seems like the 3.6L LGX engine does well in either SUV. Perhaps the 9 speed transmission also helps with optimizing MPG. That may also be a benefit if it does. I forgot that Traverse now has the 9 speed.

Have you hand calculated from fill up to fill up to compare to DIC readings? I find they can be off especially if the DIC is set to the "Last 50 Mile" range.

My statements were hand calculated MPG unless I state what a DIC reading was.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts