GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at ordering a 2011 Nox LTZ w/o Nav, but have been reading about people having downshifting issues with the transmission. There is a big thread at edmunds and a few instances here. I understand that there is a fix and that it is a fairly simple flash by the dealer. It also seems that this more prevalent in the 4 cyl models. I'm looking at ordering a V6 so is this a pretty much a non issue? Also can anyone confirm if the newer build dates include the revised flash for the transmission or is it still hit and miss?

I've driven my friends 2010 LT V6 and haven't noticed any tranny issues in hers, the only problem that she has had so far was the power liftgate had a mind of it's own one day and wouldn't stay open. A quick cycle of the key solved the issue.

In my reading I've seen a few teething issues and recalls but no more than with any other of the newer model vehicle out there. It seems there were some centre clusters that were bad for a while and some speaker hissing and the odd few that couldn't shift out of park.

Are the gremlins prety much ironed out of the current production vehicles or is it worth waiting a bit yet?

Also any idea of current order to build times in Canada currently?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
berzerk said:
Are the gremlins prety much ironed out of the current production vehicles or is it worth waiting a bit yet?

Thanks for any input.
I've had my 2010 4-cyl Equinox since March 2010, and have 8K miles, and have not had ANY problems. I think the re-flash has fixed tranny issues, and the center-stack issues are all fixed. The only current problem that I am aware of is some headliners are "drooping" a little, but they know how to fix it, and once again I have not had that problem either.

Go for it !

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've had mine for almost 3 months now, and I love it. A little trouble with the shifting and flash fixed it. I was one of the first people to receive a new 2011, so I think they have the ironed out now.

Keep in mind, the longer you wait to order, the farther away it will be that you actually get your vehicle because these things are not dropping in demand. I order mine and it arrived in about 6 weeks. People have recently reported 8-10 weeks. (In the US) My dealer allowed me to order mine and put down a small deposit that was refundable. I would say if you are really seriously debating ordering one, to speak with your dealer, ask if a deposit is refundable, and if it is, order it. If you find something better while waiting 2 months for it to be made, you can get your money back and move on. But I doubt you will do that :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would think all newer build that you would order now or get from dealer's lot are flashed with the fix as I don't think we've heard about that problem in a while, and those posts on edumuds are either old, or by those who got their before the fix was released.

I have the 4 cylinder and have not had any downshift issues so far. Also I would highly recommend to test drive the 4 cylinder before going for the V6 just because it's "V6". The 6 speed automatic helps a lot with controlling acceleration and unless you need to tow 3000 lbs virus 1500 lbs the 4 cylinder can handle, the 4 cylinder should be enough unless you climb mountains up and down daily for miles and miles.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Also do consider the 18 in wheels as it's only $250 add on. I think they are too much for LT without chrome package, but for LTZ with Chrome like you are planning to get, I think the 18s complement all the chrome and make the car look bolder. You might get little harsher ride according to some, but for me the ride is soft enough compared to other cross overs and SUVs and I never test drove 17 in one long enough to see if there is really a noticeable difference in ride quality or noise. The 18 in wheels and Sunroof are the only options I added to my FWD LTZ; the Nav was too expensive and I did not want to lose the storage compartment at middle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
georgi55 said:
Also do consider the 18 in wheels as it's only $250 add on. I think they are too much for LT without chrome package, but for LTZ with Chrome like you are planning to get, I think the 18s complement all the chrome and make the car look bolder. You might get little harsher ride according to some, but for me the ride is soft enough compared to other cross overs and SUVs and I never test drove 17 in one long enough to see if there is really a noticeable difference in ride quality or noise. The 18 in wheels and Sunroof are the only options I added to my FWD LTZ; the Nav was too expensive and I did not want to lose the storage compartment at middle.
AWD LTZ V6 is what I'm looking at so 18"wheels are standard, the 4 cyl is not an option for me though, I have driven both, too many "hills" here, (I live in the Rockies) If it was FWD I could probably live with the 4cyl but the one I drove sure had to do a lot of shifting to keep up with the terrain.

·
Registered
378 Posts
berzerk said:
AWD LTZ V6 is what I'm looking at so 18"wheels are standard, the 4 cyl is not an option for me though, I have driven both, too many "hills" here, (I live in the Rockies) If it was FWD I could probably live with the 4cyl but the one I drove sure had to do a lot of shifting to keep up with the terrain.
Makes complete sense, if you are in the rockies V6 is the way to go. When I took out the equinox on a long drive through some hills, it did have to do lot of shifting. I'm fine with it because it's not daily thing, only when I travel for pleasure, but if I was taking that route daily or even weekly, I'd hate all the shifting.

I didn't know the 18s are standard on V6, but you will love them. When I orederd mine I wasn't sure at begging but the more I look at the 18s, the more I like them!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think most new vehicles with 6 speeds will do a bit more shifting. The idea of more gears allows the engine to stay at an optimal RPM while also giving a lower lower gear for more torque and allowing a taller high gear for cruising economy.

The V6 has more torque and would be better in hills. I believe all downshift issues were resolved in 2010 so no 2011 should be affected by this.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've mentioned before on this forum that you will feel a significant improvement in the torque from a V6 as it gets several thousand miles on it. When we picked our awd V6 Terrain up, I felt it could hardly get out of it's own way and it seemed to shift all the time. We now have 7,500 miles on it and the torque is much improved and the shifting has really smoothed out. I can't begin to tell you how pleased we are with all aspects of this vehicle. I've bought 12-15 new cars/trucks in my lifetime and so far, the Terrain is my favorite of all of them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
berzerk said:
I've been insanely happy with mine, I had the headliner fixed and other than that I've had to power-cycle the computer twice to connect to my Bluetooth, but that's computers.

Just a question, for us un central Texas... What are "hills"? ;D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
quantumbyte said:
What are "hills"? ;D
Looks like I can't post links but you can try cutting and pasting this in your browser,
travelandtweet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Banff.jpg

·
Registered
101 Posts
berzerk said:
Looks like I can't post links but you can try cutting and pasting this in your browser,
travelandtweet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Banff.jpg
I meant that as a joke because Texas is mostly flat... but WOW. You seem to live in the same place as most postcard photographers!. And yes, I'd stick to the 6 cylinder AWD ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quantumbyte said:
I meant that as a joke because Texas is mostly flat... but WOW. You seem to live in the same place as most postcard photographers!. And yes, I'd stick to the 6 cylinder AWD ;)
well to be fair that spot is about half an hour away.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
berzerk said:
well to be fair that spot is about half an hour away.....
OK, this is awesome and weird: I looked at your picture and thought the name Banff sounded familiar and as I was looking at the picture again just now on my couch it hit me: I actually own two separate photographs of Banff at dawn (so mostly black, blue and white) by one of my favorite local photographers and they're hanging right here in my living room!

Small world.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I always wanted to go to Banff, maybe someday I will.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts