GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I was set to buy a 2012 but having read the issues on here and edmunds, I feel scared to buy one as it seems as though they have a lot of problems...any thoughts appreciated! I have looked at other suvs and either cant afford the options I want or just dont like them but I definitely want a reliable vehicle!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
IIRC it appears that the start up noise that was affecting some 2011's is no longer the case in 2012, although I'm still not sure why not.

Just as I'm not sure why our 2010 has never had this issue either.

Other than the HP fuel pump on our 2010, which was replaced, we haven't had any other problem in over 35,000 kms.

So I would still consider the 2012 equinox if you want one. We get very good fuel mileage, it's comfortable, quiet and stylish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
I agree with the above statement. I own a 2011 with all of those problems that you've read about. I decided yesterday, after another failed repair attempt, that I'm going to get rid of this vehicle. If the dealership doesn't make an even trade for a 2012, then I will be filing for lemon law, as my vehicle does qualify for the lemon law.

It does appear that the 2012s don't have these problems, however it is still a little early since they've been released.

***after my experiene with my 2011, I wouldn't touch the 2011 model year with a 10 foot pole. At least get the 2012. I love the car itself, love it. I just have to have a properly functioning engine as part of the deal, right?

Good luck with your decision! For me, it's between a 2012 Nox, and a Ford Escape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
SaraIrish said:
Hi. I was set to buy a 2012 but having read the issues on here and edmunds, I feel scared to buy one as it seems as though they have a lot of problems...any thoughts appreciated! I have looked at other suvs and either cant afford the options I want or just dont like them but I definitely want a reliable vehicle!
One thing to think about is most people come to a forum to complain about a issue. I love my Terrain and it is very reliable and the only issue I have with it is the finance company. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
SaraIrish said:
Hi. I was set to buy a 2012 but having read the issues on here and edmunds, I feel scared to buy one as it seems as though they have a lot of problems...any thoughts appreciated! I have looked at other suvs and either cant afford the options I want or just dont like them but I definitely want a reliable vehicle!
Sara, the issues posted relating to the 4 cylinder engine in particular seem to have been resolved in the 2012's. So far, we haven't seen reports of these issues on the 2012's. The Terrain and Equinox are great vehicles apart from this, and again so far no reports of it on the 12's. Good luck with your decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Sara,

I have a 2012 LTZ, and couldn't be happier. Granted, it's only been 3 weeks, but all systems are good to go :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
as others have mentioned...the I-4 rattling startup issue seems to have only been on 2011 models...I personally would still be cautious, because i was the first to post about the rattling noise on my 2011 terrain in April this year...so my feeling is, will it be April 2012 before we hear that this issue is still happening?

on a positive note. this is a different I-4 engine from 2011...

even though i have this rattling startup noise...still...after many trips to dealer....I love this vehicle! I wish i had bought the v6 engine...no real big difference in MPG...

i have been thinking of getting rid of the Terrain, and getting something other than GM..( because I am so pissed off at them!)..but I cant find another SUV, in the same price market that I like..

If you can, get the V6. and you will be very happy with the NOX!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Sumr616 said:
Good luck with your decision! For me, it's between a 2012 Nox, and a Ford Escape.
The escape was also on our list to shop for, however, the nox trumps in overall quality and value by far. Now, if you still want to push for a Ford, we really liked the Edge but the price was a bit more, when comparing similar options with the nox. If I had another $5-7 grand more to budget, we most likely would have gone with the Edge =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
What I been told by a couple of people with an Escape is that they have an inferior ride and they're "tinny" (whatever that really means). Also they're less refined and don't get as good a mileage as the Equinox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I owned a Mercury Mariner for 3-4 years and was thrilled to part ways for the Equinox =)

In case you aren't familiar with the Mariner, it is nearly identical to the Escape...with the exception of a manufacturer's emblem ;D (also some minor things here and there but I think about 95-99% makeup is the same).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Hi Sara,

I agree with what tahoebigah and flats have said.

I picked up my 2012 1LT 6 cylinder FWD (with the Driver's Convenience Package) two weeks ago -- so far so good. I'm thrilled with it.

Kim

tahoebigah said:
One thing to think about is most people come to a forum to complain about a issue. I love my Terrain and it is very reliable and the only issue I have with it is the finance company. ;D
flats said:
Sara,
I have a 2012 LTZ, and couldn't be happier. Granted, it's only been 3 weeks, but all systems are good to go :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I had a 2010 nox and traded it in for a 2011 lt2. The 2010 had 10,000 miles with no trouble. The 2011 I have now has 6200 miles with no engine noise and no trouble. If the noise starts and does not affect the performance, I will notify my dealer and continue diving it. The engine has a nice long warranty and I will be rid of it before the warranty is out.
These start up noises don't worry me a great deal. I had a 93 Chevy pickup with the 350 that made a terrible racket when it started. The dealer and GM said it was nothing to worry about. I continued driving it for 220000 miles with no engine failure. Sometimes the engine noises sound worse than they really are. I know they should not have them but as long as it runs I can put up with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Add me to the no problems and couldn't be happier camp. Got mine 11 months ago and it's been a great car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
I've had my 2010 since December 09...and no issues so far. Posts on internet forums are going to scare you away no matter what you have your eye on....just do some research on your second choice, and your third, etc...and you'll see what I mean. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I own a 2011 and had the rattle start up issue a few months back. GM sent me a recall notice which I went in to the dealer to have done. Since then I have not had an issue with the nox. I researched and test drove alot of vehicles and found that the equinox was the best bang for my buck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
'12 Terrain SLT2 AWD V6. Love it. No complaints at all.


Previous: 1999 Chevy Lumina Base

Current: 2012 GMC Terrain SLT2 AWD V6
20 mpg average
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I test drove every SUV in the same price bracket as the Nox - Hyundai Santa Fe (felt cheap), Kia Sorrento (didn't like the red lighting), Ford Edge (nice, but no cubbies for cell phones, ipod, lip balm, etc), Honda CRV (boring, not enough options), Nissan Rogue (too expensive), and the Terrain (just a little too masculine looking for me). After three months of extensive research from February through May 2011, and many ticked off salesmen, I settled on the 2011 LTZ 4 cylnder. Shortly after the purchase I started having the start-up problems, which was only a problem in a batch of vehicles with a build date from April through June or July. After the recall, I took my car in for repair in September and have not had a problem since. I have about 4,000 miles on the vehicle and the gas mileage keeps getting better and better (average gas mileage is 25 MPH - 60% highway/40% city). I just love my Nox. Even with the start-up problem, I would purchase a Nox again in a heart beat. It's beautiful, comfortable, quiet, head-turning, and has the most options I wanted in comparison to the above-mentioned SUVs. I can see myself still driving it in 10 years' time. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Melissa0329 said:
I test drove every SUV in the same price bracket as the Nox - Hyundai Santa Fe (felt cheap), Kia Sorrento (didn't like the red lighting), Ford Edge (nice, but no cubbies for cell phones, ipod, lip balm, etc), Honda CRV (boring, not enough options), Nissan Rogue (too expensive), and the Terrain (just a little too masculine looking for me). After three months of extensive research from February through May 2011, and many ticked off salesmen, I settled on the 2011 LTZ 4 cylnder. Shortly after the purchase I started having the start-up problems, which was only a problem in a batch of vehicles with a build date from April through June or July. After the recall, I took my car in for repair in September and have not had a problem since. I have about 4,000 miles on the vehicle and the gas mileage keeps getting better and better (average gas mileage is 25 MPH - 60% highway/40% city). I just love my Nox. Even with the start-up problem, I would purchase a Nox again in a heart beat. It's beautiful, comfortable, quiet, head-turning, and has the most options I wanted in comparison to the above-mentioned SUVs. I can see myself still driving it in 10 years' time. :thumb:
Melissa, I'm glad that you're happy with your Nox, and I agree with your conclusion with regard to these vehicles (though we have a Terrain). So not to pick on details but just for the sake of clarity: for the 2011's that are reporting the startup noise and related issues, the most commonly reported build dates are in March 2011 though the range of build dates for affected vehicles stretches from September 2010 through June 2011. I'm not aware of any 2012's. It's sad that questions like the topic of this thread have been raised by the 2011 issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Tdog said:
Melissa, I'm glad that you're happy with your Nox, and I agree with your conclusion with regard to these vehicles (though we have a Terrain). So not to pick on details but just for the sake of clarity: for the 2011's that are reporting the startup noise and related issues, the most commonly reported build dates are in March 2011 though the range of build dates for affected vehicles stretches from September 2010 through June 2011. I'm not aware of any 2012's. It's sad that questions like the topic of this thread have been raised by the 2011 issues.
May I also add that build dates prior to this which are 2010's also do not have the start up noise problem.

Interesting, and tragic for GM that the vehicles affected by this could possibly turn those owners away from GM permanently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
We have a Cardinal 2LT with the 4 cyl. I did breifly get a few noisy start-ups just as the recall was made. Had the ECM reflashed and the actuators done -- Have not has a bad start since and a jump in both mileage and performance (low speed idle and slow acceleration - moreso in ECO mode are GONE!).... My wife drives the Nox 98% of the time and LOVES it.... :thumb:
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top