GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the group-- hello everyone. I had my Equinox parked for 2.5 days during heavy rains in the Pacific Northwest and when I came back last night tHere was a ton of condensation dripping down on the front windshield. It was also noticeable on the sunroof and back window. It was the first time I have noticed this and it has been parked before outside in the rain. I read in another thread that someone had this issue with their 2011 Terrain but the thread ended without any further information. Anyone else have this issue. The floors were not wet from what I could feel. There was enough water to leave large streaks on my windshield after the defroster was on for awhile so I could see to drive. My old SUV eventually had a leak and caused this type of problem-- but certainly frustrated it is occurring with my brand new car! Just looking for ideas of possible causes. I own a 2013 Equinox LT1 with factory sunroof and convenience package. :eek: Thanks in advance

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sounds like a freakish combination of humidity, heat and fast temperature change. I get this happening when I'm out driving in the rain and it's cool outside, and when I pull into the parking garage in the condo, it's 10 degrees warmer than outside and ALL the windows fog up. I find it has helped keeping them clean on the inside, as well an anti-fog application would likely help prevent it as well. These trucks are pretty "air-tight" with their door seals and window seals (as to why they are so quiet on the road!) If it's been pouring rain and the truck has been parked outside for a couple of days and if the sun comes out for just a few minutes, the temperature inside the vehicle will rise fast, and with all the moisture and humidity (and dead air inside the truck if it hasn't been driven in a couple of days) it will cause condensation no doubt. I would try an anti-fog product if it happens again.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I would guess that you were running the A/C inside the car before you got out, then some humid air got inside and condensed on the cooler windows.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Flygirl said:
I'm new to the group-- hello everyone. I had my Equinox parked for 2.5 days during heavy rains in the Pacific Northwest and when I came back last night tHere was a ton of condensation dripping down on the front windshield. It was also noticeable on the sunroof and back window. It was the first time I have noticed this and it has been parked before outside in the rain. I read in another thread that someone had this issue with their 2011 Terrain but the thread ended without any further information. Anyone else have this issue. The floors were not wet from what I could feel. There was enough water to leave large streaks on my windshield after the defroster was on for awhile so I could see to drive. My old SUV eventually had a leak and caused this type of problem-- but certainly frustrated it is occurring with my brand new car! Just looking for ideas of possible causes. I own a 2013 Equinox LT1 with factory sunroof and convenience package. :eek: Thanks in advance
You have a lot of condensation inside the vehicle. I suspect you have a leak (think sunroof drains....) or a window was left slightly down, allowing water to enter the vehicle. Did you remove all your mats to determine if the carpet was wet anywhere? Did you check the rear of the vehicle (cargo area) to see if the carpet was wet there? Had occupants tracked a significant amount of water into the vehicle and onto the carpet mats (or rubber mats), and then the water evaporated and condensed onto the interior? Rain water can run down the door jambs and enter an improperly sealed rubber conduit entry point (A pillars by the front door hinges) which can then run behind the plastic foot kick panels and wick into the carpet padding. I would check the interior thoroughly, then return to the dealer for a water leak test if you can't find the entry point. Good luck (a family member has a 2013 Equinox 2LT 4 cylinder....).

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Hi Flygirl

We would like to try and assist you in getting this concerned looked into. If you would like for us to document this issue or look into it further we are available to do that. Please send us a private message and we will assist you.

Jackie
GMC Customer Care

·
Registered
467 Posts
You can test your sunroof drains by opening the roof and pouring some water down each corner. You will see water flow down from each tube at each corner of the car somewhere underneath. The back is probably in the rear wheel wells somewhere. If the water doesn't come out or barely trickles out, you have found the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still do not notice any wet carpets but got into my car early this evening and the windows were becoming wet on the inside. Conditions were about the same where it was a warm sunny day about 66 degrees and it cooled off rather quickly in the evening. On the way to work the first time this occurred I was not using the air conditioning as it was a cold blustery day but of course I ran the heater and defroster. I will have my husband look at some of the drains but
Ultimately I contacted GM customer service as they replied to this issue. It doesn't seem it is a common problem posted about on this forum. I will see what GM recommends. I was waiting to see if it would happen again and looks like I got the recreation of the problem this evening. Thanks for the replies and suggestions

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
you may want to lift up the rear storage tray door and look in the area of the spare tire..
check to see if theres any pooled water in there....

·
Registered
2 Posts
We purchased the all new Equinox in 2018, it now has 7000 miles on it. Recently a micro climate has manifested inside the vehicle.I woke up one morning to see condesation all over the inside windows like a sweating beer can.The upholstery was damp. The vehicle has has not been compromised and this phonemona has come out of nowhere. The vehicle has a sun roof, but we have only opened it twice. A very peculiar situation as we rarely drive the Equinox.I took the Equniox to a glass shop and they test the drain holes on the sunroof and found no issues. He said perhaps the windshield seals are bad and a new glass will be $800. You have to love that Chevrolet quality.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Might have been a plugged A/C drain leak as well.
Window seals can start to leak on any vehicle. Especially in wide changes of day/night temperatures.
Without finding the cause. . . . how can you put blame on anything or the brand oh "One Post Wonder"?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts