GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 GMC Terrain and I cannot find anything that will help me reset my compass.
My Compass says CAL. I tried going to an open area and driving it in circles both clockwise and counterclockwise, even drove it in a figure 8 until I made myself nauseous - I get motion sickness; nothing helped.

My compass will have a direction reading, but only for a second until I put it in drive and goes right to CAL and this only happens when I am at the Post Office. It will also show a heading when it is parked in my garage, but the wrong direction and go right to CAL.

I saw where you press the MODE button, but I don't have a MODE button.

This is driving me insane, there is nowhere that gives any other direction than to go to an open field and it will magically calibrate.

Has anyone had any luck getting this calibrated and would you please share your step by step instructions or am I just going to have to live with a minor annoyance? TIA

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not sure i can help you but the compass receives its heading and other information from the Global Positioning System (GPS) antenna and StabiliTrak system. Maybe there is an issue with the GPS antenna on the roof or the stabilitrak system. I would look over that antenna for sure to see if any problems like loose or water penetration etc.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
From GM:

The Telematics Communication Interface Module (Onstar) has a compass feature to calculate vehicle direction. The compass heading is determined by dead reckoning until the GPS 3d fix is established. The dead reckoning is accomplished by using the yaw rate sensors and wheel ticks to determine heading changes from a GPS known heading. The GPS 3d fix heading is determined by the differential of two locations

Hope this helps

Reactions: 13nox

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
It's a long shot but try scanning for trouble codes.
Could be Onstar module, yaw sensor, etc. etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure i can help you but the compass receives its heading and other information from the Global Positioning System (GPS) antenna and StabiliTrak system. Maybe there is an issue with the GPS antenna on the roof or the stabilitrak system. I would look over that antenna for sure to see if any problems like loose or water penetration etc.
I ordered a new antenna, I’ll see if that works, I might order a new antenna base as well if the new antenna doesn’t work. Not sure if I want to tackle taking out the OnStar module. If that doesn’t fix it, I guess I’ll have to live with it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Rick67, did the antenna fix the problem? If so do you happen to have the part number for the antenna? Is your OnStar also not working? I have CAL listed all the time for the compass and read on another forum that the OnStar also didn’t work.

thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Rick67, did the antenna fix the problem? If so do you happen to have the part number for the antenna? Is your OnStar also not working? I have CAL listed all the time for the compass and read on another forum that the OnStar also didn’t work.

thank you

thank you
No, I did buy a new antenna and that did not fix the problem. Part # 22868913 did not fit, the threading didn’t match up. I then ordered 22969192 which has two threads. That seem to make it worse. With my old antenna I am able to get a heading for a few seconds before it will say CAL. I’m not sure what it is, I also couldn’t find a fuse for OnStar to pull to see if that will take care of it. I also took my spare tire out to see if I could find the OnStar box but didn’t locate it, next I was going to take the knee panel off on the front driver’s side. I took 2 screws out and didn’t go any further. I guess I’ll just have to live with it saying CAL.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The OnStar module on my 2014 is under dash, mounted between the brake pedal and accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
239 Posts
In my 2000 Blazer I sometimes had to go to a parking lot and drive in a counter clockwise circle 3 or 4 times and it reset itself. Worth a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts