GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone compared these two? Comparing the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (V6 4WD Selec Trac) to the GMC Terrain (V6 AWD SLT1) really surprised me today and I'm a rather car-savvy person. They are much more comparable than I would have imagined had I not looked at the specs and experienced them back to back. Looks aside, of course, but they are both sharp looking to me.

I've been comparing SUVs/CUVs/Crossovers whatever people want to call them for a while. The interior space of the Jeep Grand Cherokee ("JGC") doesn't feel bigger than a Terrain although it is bigger on the outside. In fact, the cargo volume is very close, the MPG ratings are essentially the same, they both are tow-rated for 3500 lbs (Terrain V6 vs Jeep V6) yet a better equipped Terrain is thousands less than a comparable JGC. I like the looks of both and they both drove great. The only real advantage I can see in the JGC is the V8 option for towing and the available high-low transfer case for all-wheel drive. The JGC with a V6 felt as quick as the Terrain probably due to the Jeep's several hundred extra pounds of weight.

Has anyone else compared these two and seen how close they are spec-wise? If I was going off-road on severe trails, I would have to give in to the advanced Jeep 4x4 options. However, for on-road use all year round the Terrain wins over the Jeep in value.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Since the Grand Cherokee is now unibody (not body on frame) then I would say it is a fair comparison with the Terrain. I like the looks of the Cherokee better (I'm a Nox guy, what can I say :D) but would probably go with the Terrain if it is going to be a daily driver with no serious off-roading invloved. But having said that, I would guess that the vast majority of Cherokees never see any serious off-roading either..

·
Registered
303 Posts
I also think the new Grand Cherokee looks good, but it's a Chrysler product. Too much risk and uncertainty for me. Of course GM is not without its challenges either.

And if for on-road use exclusively, the FWD I4 Terrain gives much better mpg than any Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wife is a big JGC fan as she is on her third one and getting ready for her 4th the beginning of next year. To be honest I think there is more room in the back seat with the Terrain / Nox having the seat back all the way. I think the Cherokee is a little piggish with the gas and I don't think you would get the same mileage as with the other two.

The Cherokee is definitely more heavy duty and more versatile with regards to 4WD if you need that. As far as build quality goes we have never had a problem with the 3 Cherokee's we have had (knocks on wood)!

Overall it really comes down to what you want to do with the vehicle and decide if it is worth the extra expense etc.

·
Registered
441 Posts
the new jgc i would get in heart beat, but the price tag is up there.....it got a nice boost in power too....very tasty...mmmmmm

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If you are going to go actually off road, then the GC is the one to get. On road? Terrain for sure.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I actually started this same discussion in the nox side of the forum viewed here if you want:

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=1337.0

There are some good points on that thread. To summarize what most people said there was the same as whats being said here:

-The Jeep is a great 4X4 / Towing / off road vehicle. If your going, camping, hiking etc. on a regular bases this is the car for you!
-The Nox/Terrain is a better everyday driver. Softer ride, better gas mileage.

My opinion was that the Jeep had two major flaws for me....#1 Price. I was not willing to spend an additional $9,000 for a "Trail rated" 4x4 vehicle. (LT2 vs. X Package JGC)
-the 2011 JGC is a New model/re-design, and they are rarely without their problems in the first year of production.

I went will a 2011 nox!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I missed that JGC thread. Thanks. I think the Terrain/Nox is a better buy for how MY family would use it on the road. If I spec'd a JGC out the same way (leather), it puts it into the price range of a nicely equipped Traverse/Acadia and higher than a similarly equipped Audi Q5.

What really "surprised" me was that the JGC is seen as a mid-size SUV but it has almost the same interior volume as a Terrain/Nox and similar performance (comparing V6 models). The Audi Q5 2.0Turbo is also on my list and, even though I'm an Audi owner and fan of Audis, found the Terrain to drive better on the road than the Q5 and about the same as the Terrain (V6 AWD).

FWIW if I wanted a true off-road vehicle the Jeep Rubicon would be a better fit than an up-optioned JGC. That said, the GMC Terrain looks very good against the competition; I even like its looks a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts