GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you folks in northern climates having any issues? We've had our Terrain 3 days, and haven't made it a whole day yet without some sort of issue. Two days in a row it gave us a service AWD message, and today the wife opened the lift gate, and it wouldn't close using the button. It would start to fall, then go back up after closing only a couple of inches. Happened to be at the dealer and spoke to the service dept about the AWD an they want us to stop in and have it scanned.

Just wondering if anyone else in colder climates has been seeing this sort of thing. I can't imagine there are any actual problems, seeing as ho it has all of 250 miles on it, but I suppose it could be a BCM issue or something.

-Curt

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you're having that many problems already I would be careful. Could be a lemon. Hopefully it's not, but just keep an eye out for little things, especially electrical items.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
kparrent said:
If you're having that many problems already I would be careful. Could be a lemon. Hopefully it's not, but just keep an eye out for little things, especially electrical items.
Why didn't you tell him to have the dealer check out the mileage and make sure it was accurate....
With 16 posts it appears as though your the resident expert already

·
Registered
153 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Why didn't you tell him to have the dealer check out the mileage and make sure it was accurate....
With 16 posts it appears as though your the resident expert already
Just new to this forum, not new to cars. :thumb:

·
Registered
153 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Then you should have known that even 34k vehicles may have inaccurate gauges...
Do you have something to contribute to the thread? I'm trying to help the guy out. Feel free to contribute to a thread.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
fourmoremarine.....you crack me up!...

·
Registered
153 Posts
curtm220 said:
Any of you folks in northern climates having any issues? We've had our Terrain 3 days, and haven't made it a whole day yet without some sort of issue. Two days in a row it gave us a service AWD message, and today the wife opened the lift gate, and it wouldn't close using the button. It would start to fall, then go back up after closing only a couple of inches. Happened to be at the dealer and spoke to the service dept about the AWD an they want us to stop in and have it scanned.

Just wondering if anyone else in colder climates has been seeing this sort of thing. I can't imagine there are any actual problems, seeing as ho it has all of 250 miles on it, but I suppose it could be a BCM issue or something.

-Curt
Curt, a few questions which might help out:

- You've only had it three days, so are you just assuming it's because of the cold climate, or does it only happen when it is extra cold (i.e. late nights, early mornings)?
- What are the temps in your area?

I was up north for a few weeks for the holidays, but it was pretty mild across the US at that time. Low 20s I think was the earliest it hit, maybe teens overnight. I didn't see any problems, but this is definitely not the extreme temps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kparrent said:
Curt, a few questions which might help out:

- You've only had it three days, so are you just assuming it's because of the cold climate, or does it only happen when it is extra cold (i.e. late nights, early mornings)?
- What are the temps in your area?

I was up north for a few weeks for the holidays, but it was pretty mild across the US at that time. Low 20s I think was the earliest it hit, maybe teens overnight. I didn't see any problems, but this is definitely not the extreme temps.
Yeah, that's a good point. The two mornings that it threw the AWD message it was around -15 to -20 or so, and both times about 2:30 am. The Lift gate was today and the temp was around -5. I thought the lift gate issue might have been because of wind, but the wife said it was dead calm. I went out and tried it in the driveway, with heavy wind, and of course it worked just fine. She's not sure if she "pressed" the button, or maybe held it...worked fine for me with one quick push. Kind of irritating, since I didn't want the power lift gate option, but that was what they had with the V6 and leather, which was the main options we wanted.

The AWD message cleared both times and didn't come back, so not sure what's going on there either...not terribly concerned yet, but thought maybe some other folks here had seen similar issues.

·
Registered
432 Posts
it has been in the mid -30's here Celsius this week. The only thing i have seen is a really.... really slow drivers window when coming back up.
oh and every bump when its that cold had the windshield sounding like it was ready to pop out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Cameron said:
it has been in the mid -30's here Celsius this week. The only thing i have seen is a really.... really slow drivers window when coming back up.
oh and every bump when its that cold had the windshield sounding like it was ready to pop out.
Yeah I believe it. Small mechanical items such as window motors are going to struggle at those temps. I'm somewhat surprised the window came down at all. Must have been dry

I'll have to double check the temp ranges for automotive grade chips, but the low threshold should be at least -40C I believe, pretty sure it's even lower. So electrical items shouldn't be an issue, assuming the new vehicle has property connections with regards to temp.

It's possible the rear gate was just frozen shut. The motor wouldn't be strong enough to open it. Or the motor could have been cold enough to not have the strength to move it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cameron said:
I think this is *every* vehicle GM has ever made...I have four with power windows, and every one of them will make you question why you dared to put it down when it's cold...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kparrent said:
It's possible the rear gate was just frozen shut. The motor wouldn't be strong enough to open it. Or the motor could have been cold enough to not have the strength to move it.
Nope, other way around...it went up just fine, just didn't' seem to want to come down. But like I said, worked fine for me less than an hour later, so might have been operator error...

·
Registered
432 Posts
the window came down normally, thats why i didnt even think about it till i went to put it back up and it just crawled. once it got to about half way up it sped up a bit but it took its time to get there.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Still worth mentioning to the dealer. My dealer gave me a free oil change coupon. I had it changed about 1500 miles. They asked how it was doing/going.
There may be a code left in the computer, doesn't sound serious for now.

I took delivery last January, had it a year now. No real problems other than the usual-iced up windows; stuck side widows (ice); slower warm-up times; etc...

·
Registered
153 Posts
curtm220 said:
Nope, other way around...it went up just fine, just didn't' seem to want to come down. But like I said, worked fine for me less than an hour later, so might have been operator error...
Yes.. I would say assume operator error until you see it again. Our good friend gravity would have made sure it went down just fine. Sometimes if you hit the button a little funny it won't register with the system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts