GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Terrain, 2.4L 4cyl. There has never been a check engine light. The car starts perfect idles up fine then after about 30 seconds it stumbles rpms drop and it stalls. After it stalls the vehicle can be restarted immediately and after it's up to running temperature it runs great. Has never stalled once the engine is warm. Any ideas on what could be the cause of this?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Maybe take a look at your throttle body and spray-clean it (20 minute job)? Be sure to use a can of Throttle Body Cleaner (CRC?).

Also - check for pending codes on your computer (5 minute job). Maybe no CEL *yet*, but it’s coming? If you don’t own a code reader you could purchase one for as little as ~$50 (basic), or - ask an auto parts chain store if they’ll do it for you.

Maybe check/replace your air filter (10 minute job)?

These are the simple “first things” to do.

How many miles on this vehicle?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I got right about 110,000 miles on it. I have cleaned the throttle body and changed the gasket, it wasn't overly dirty. I've taken it to the dealer to have it diagnosed but of course that day when they started it the car didn't do it and they said it seems to be running fine lol. They checked for codes and said there was none in the history. I've also changed the air filter, air intake manifold, cleaned the maf sensor with crc maf sensor cleaner, put new spark plugs in, checked the wires. I'm trying to except I'm at the point of wait til a light comes on and take it back to the dealer, but I lose sleep over trying to figure out what could be wrong...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I've also changed the air filter, air intake manifold, cleaned the maf sensor with crc maf sensor cleaner, put new spark plugs in, checked the wires.
My luck has been about 50/50 when cleaning sensors like the MAF.
You probably have a 8 wire MAF which is a multi-function sensor.
These are not as easy to successfully clean.

Go with an AC Delco replacement good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
What I usually do with something like this is NOTHING (other than the cheap things I mentioned above). It’s a minor inconvenience issue right now. It may disappear, or it may get worse. But if it’s the latter, you’ll get more information (eg: a code). So sit tight and collect data for now.

If you’ve got a data logger, maybe you could glean something from that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts