GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm new to the forums and was just looking for any information on a Cold Air Intake for the 2010 2.4L. It seems everybody is hesitant on buying the one Cold Air Intake on ebay and seeing if they can get it all to fit.

I'm just trying to boost my fuel mileage a bit, mine just hasn't picked up as quickly as I was hoping, 11k on it and its still about 27-30mpg (Imp gals, I think that would be 24-26 in US Gal).

·
Registered
446 Posts
Is that combined driving? If so, that's about what everyone else gets. You'd probably do better by using hypermiling techniques.

·
Registered
71 Posts
just so you know there is a new K&N CAI that just came out, it can be found on carid.com and a few other sites. mine is on order and I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Put the K&N CAI on about a week ago, have noticed approx. a 1L/100km increase in mileage and a slight increase in power so I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
cottonseed said:
I remember once there was an episode on mythbusters of tailgating 18 wheelers. I dont recall the outcome but Ill try to find the episode.
I tried it for a couple of minutes, and my instantaneous MPG was reading in the 40s - but Don't try this at home. It was just an experiment - a dumb one, at that.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I too tried it when I was young and dumb and didn't care about the lives of others...works extremely well...

Now I'm much older and care about my life and the life of others...the dumb part is still open for discussion ROFLMAO

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well as a big rig driver i dont usually like people that are that close to my ass end. So if you aggrevate me I hit my brakes and off on the side of the road you go. Best bet is to stay just close enough to my trailer where you can see my mirrors and i can see you this way no one gets hurt and you get better gas milage at my companies expense

;D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ohmsford said:
Hey guys, i'm new to the forums and was just looking for any information on a Cold Air Intake for the 2010 2.4L. It seems everybody is hesitant on buying the one Cold Air Intake on ebay and seeing if they can get it all to fit.

I'm just trying to boost my fuel mileage a bit, mine just hasn't picked up as quickly as I was hoping, 11k on it and its still about 27-30mpg (Imp gals, I think that would be 24-26 in US Gal).
I Just installed a K&N into a 2011 2.4
After the first trip I noticed more power, and over the coarse of 200 mile drive from NJ to MA, average speed 70 mph, I averaged 27.4 mpg. Prob about a 1.5 - 2 mpg increase.

Pretty awesome!

·
Registered
92 Posts
drewnoel said:
I Just installed a K&N into a 2011 2.4
After the first trip I noticed more power, and over the coarse of 200 mile drive from NJ to MA, average speed 70 mph, I averaged 27.4 mpg. Prob about a 1.5 - 2 mpg increase.

Pretty awesome!
I thought I read in the past that this modification triggered the check engine light. Is this not the case or is it hit or miss? I would love to gain 1-2 mpg, being I average 22 at best with my 2011 4cyl.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
yarrumc said:
I thought I read in the past that this modification triggered the check engine light. Is this not the case or is it hit or miss? I would love to gain 1-2 mpg, being I average 22 at best with my 2011 4cyl.
If it was that easy/cheap to gain 1-2 MPG, don't you think that GM would pick these "low hanging fruit" instead of all of the other things that they invest R&D on. :hilarious:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
yarrumc said:
On alot older models perhaps, but a simple CAI more often then not is fine, you'd have a better chance of winning the Powerball Lottery! :D
These modern ECM's that run the ignition are more than capable of handling a small differential in mass air flow, so no worries,[/color]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
RIT333 said:
If it was that easy/cheap to gain 1-2 MPG, don't you think that GM would pick these "low hanging fruit" instead of all of the other things that they invest R&D on. :hilarious:
The problem is that the vast majority of buyers (especially for a vehicle like this) want the drive to be as hushed and quiet as possible...and both a CAI and free flow exhaust add noise. Adding noise that is undesireable to most buyers would mean adding extra sound deadening (and weight) which would negate some of the performance/mileage gains. It's a trade-off thing...if GM could add performance/gas mileage without compromise then they would do it from the factory.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
NoobNox said:
The problem is that the vast majority of buyers (especially for a vehicle like this) want the drive to be as hushed and quiet as possible...and both a CAI and free flow exhaust add noise. Adding noise that is undesireable to most buyers would mean adding extra sound deadening (and weight) which would negate some of the performance/mileage gains. It's a trade-off thing...if GM could add performance/gas mileage without compromise then they would do it from the factory.
x2
GM also offers CAI for some models but unfortunately not for the V6's here, to bad, love to have one.
My Sales guy informed me the other day that a couple took my 2011 trade in and made the comment that the exhaust was too loud, lol[/color]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts