GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

How can I pinpoint the front suspension noises location?

• Front suspension noises

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 Equinox makes clunking noises while driving emitting from the front suspension. I have looked under the car several times and find no apparent reason for the noises. If you try to recreate the noises while the car is sitting still, you hear nothing. It sounds like it is coming from the front left and right, in no particular pattern. All the suspension components I can see while under the car appear to be in good condition and I try to move or shake any part I can get my hands on and have found no loose components. Any ideas will be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Either take it to an shop experienced in front end components such as Midas or Monroe, or you may be able to find a shop that will have the ability to to attach Bluetooth enabled microphones and then you can pinpoint the exact location. Unfortunately, since you checked for the obvious by shaking items, you may have to go to a professional.

One possibility could be the strut tower top components - they tend to wear and make the noises that you are describing, but it is hard to diagnose via the internet.

Maybe you can sit on the radiator support and his someone else drive the car...but don't try this at home ! ;D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: clunking noises update

I ordered 2 front struts with coil springs and changed them yesterday. The clunking noises have definitely reduced but, I still have clunks that seem to be in the engine compartment on the drivers side, sounds like it in the steering wheel/brake pedal area. Any way the car rides noticeably better with the new struts, which is not surprising. BTW, not that hard of a job to do either, changing struts. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Re: clunking noises update

jshack said:
I ordered 2 front struts with coil springs and changed them yesterday. The clunking noises have definitely reduced but, I still have clunks that seem to be in the engine compartment on the drivers side, sounds like it in the steering wheel/brake pedal area. Any way the car rides noticeably better with the new struts, which is not surprising. BTW, not that hard of a job to do either, changing struts. Thanks.
Do the strut mounting bolts have an eccentric bolt for camber adjustment ? If so, were you able to mark its position to save you alignment, or did you get the car aligned after you put in the new struts ?

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,996 Posts
My experience, "clunking" has always been from worn ball joints, but then again I'd only ever hear it at low speed while driving over the slightest bump - usually turning onto my driveway (which included a soft "S" curb - enough to cause compression then release).

But if you've checked the rubber dust covers on your ball joints and they're still intact (and there are no signs of grease escaping them), I think I would look at the engine mounts. Your vehicle is certainly old enough to be suffering rubber breakdowns most anywhere in the engine compartment and engine mounts are parts that can be overlooked.

I've never had to change strut towers in 30 years of maintaining all my vehicles. To me, it's an unlikely source of trouble. Have even heard "crunching" compression noises with my '89 Mitsubishi when driving over slightest bump - still never changed them (dried out bushings).

Check the motor mounts. Probably not cheap to replace, though

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Strut bolts not eccentric so, no camber re-adjustment necessary. The original struts were definitely worn out and part of the problem, I'll continue looking form the remaining clunking noise, thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little up-date here, I recently replaced the front stabilizer connecting rods and the clunking noise has greatly reduced. I occasionally have one or two minor clunks on rough roads and I have decided to replace the stabilizer bar mounting bushings. I will post an up-date in case anyone is curious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a similar problem once, checked the front for any lose parts, but everything seemed in shape. Then went to my buddy (he's a mechanic), he fixed it in under 10 minutes. In the end, it turns out it was just a bolt that got a little bit loose. Couldn't see it myself tho. Might not be your case, but that was mine so I thought I would share. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts