GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just noticed something odd that happens when I depress the brake pedal when in park. When I do that I hear a loud click sound coming from the center console area as if it's under the open pocket. It almost sounds like an actuator clicking. It doesn't happen when I'm in drive or reverse and hit the brakes. Has anyone experienced this and if you have what is it? Do I have some sort of relay or something that needs to be changed out?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
That is normal.
That is a solenoid- that locks the shifter from shifting.
Remember dogs/kids where being left alone in running cars--- and they somehow nudged the shifter into gear-- and the vehicle crashed?
Well if im not mistaken- this is a result of these type of incidents
If the brake pedal is not pressed........ the shifter cant be moved-- even if you press the button on the shifter.
Once you press the brake-- the solenoid released- then you can press the button on shifter (and then you hear a 2nd solenoid) and you can shift.

Safety device.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's just weird that I recently noticed this occurring a week ago. Obviously I have to depress the brake pedal to put it in gear as it's been that way for year. I was just curious if anyone had a similar experience.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
sometimes- you just hear something--- and then cant 'un-hear' it for the rest of your ownership.

Kind of like the Fed Ex Arrow.....
once you see it- Youll always see it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
sometimes- you just hear something--- and then cant 'un-hear' it for the rest of your ownership.

Kind of like the Fed Ex Arrow.....
once you see it- Youll always see it.

Quite true.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts