GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best clear coat wax to preserve Carbon Black Metallic? I'm looking for something without too much cleaner. Just seal and wax. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Try one of these Meguiars products they are paint sealants and don't have any cleaners in them. The Ultimate Wax Liquid hasn't been out to long so I haven't used it but will when I run out of the NXT I have been using for several years on the WDT Enclave and now on the Terrain. Both are available at Wal-Mart, Advance and probably most other auto supply stores.

Ultimate Wax Liquid (about $20.00) or NXT Generation® Tech Wax® 2.0 (about $17) at Wal-Mart.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/category/wax-protect

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used this CCW or Clear Coat Wax. No abrasives in. Pure shine. It's by AllBrite.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When should be the first time you apply a clear coat wax or paint sealer as described above? I remember at one time they said you should hold off on a brand new paint job til things stabilize.. is that still true with today's factory paints?

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
People often say that a factory paint is baked so well, that they can be waxed right after delivery.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with that. Factory paint jobs are probably accelerated in the paint room. The dealers offer paint protection packages which are applied to new paint finishes. I don't think they would offer this paint protection if there was any danger. I believe the paint on a new vehicle is fully cured.

·
Registered
482 Posts
As a general rule waxes and sealants contain no abrasives and are used to seal the finish and add depth and clarity to the paint. Polishes contain varying amounts of mild abrasives and are generally used on paint that is in need of a thorough cleaning before applying a protective layer of wax.

Then there are a multitude of choices out there. I prefer Meguires products but there are many that work equally as well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just put Rejex on my week old Terrain. It is not a wax it is a polymer. Awesome stuff easy to use and long lasting. I have been using it on all my cars for years once every 6 mo. Makes everything slide off of the cars. You can even use it on windows works like Rainex.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is any one using a final finish spray for smudges or fingerprints. What about in between waxings, any suggestions for a quick detail spray? Is anybody claying? If yes, what kind of clay(mild - aggressive) and lube are you using?

·
Registered
1 Posts
jgroenke said:
When should be the first time you apply a clear coat wax or paint sealer as described above? I remember at one time they said you should hold off on a brand new paint job til things stabilize.. is that still true with today's factory paints?
you can use a finishing glaze right after a fresh paint job. I should know, i've done professional autobody work for 10 years. The thing you should STAY away from is any kind of solvent that will eat fresh paint. After about 2-3 months depending on your weather a cleaning solvent like lacquer thinner wont eat the paint away so quickly. But use sparingly, im talking about some thinner on a cloth to wipe marks off a cured paint surface not to soak the paint or it will eat it.
as far as your new car concern, don't worry, by the time the car is shipped from the factory and sits on the dealer lot it will be cured.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As a professional auto body guy, can you recommend any specific products that you have used and are impressed with?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Meguiares Final Inspection 34. I buy it online by the case (4 gallons); lasts forever and leaves vehicle looking showroom new.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
paigow said:
you can use a finishing glaze right after a fresh paint job. I should know, i've done professional autobody work for 10 years. The thing you should STAY away from is any kind of solvent that will eat fresh paint. After about 2-3 months depending on your weather a cleaning solvent like lacquer thinner wont eat the paint away so quickly. But use sparingly, im talking about some thinner on a cloth to wipe marks off a cured paint surface not to soak the paint or it will eat it.
as far as your new car concern, don't worry, by the time the car is shipped from the factory and sits on the dealer lot it will be cured.
What is/are the name of the product(s) that you have used and recommend as the best?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts