GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the big front end of the Terrain I wanted to protect it from all the winter road debris (read rock chips). So I ordered a clear bra off ebay. The end result was fantastic as you can't even tell it's on, but it took a LOT of effort to put it on with all the sharp edges and angles of the front end. Needed to cut it into 3 workable pieces.

If you are thinking of doing this make sure you have 1) a lot of time 2) a warm garage and 3) a heat gun. If you don't have a heat gun this install will be impossible to complete. The heat gun helps mold and stretch the plastic around the edges. A good squeegee goes a long way too. I'm going to see how it holds up over the winter and into the summer. If it stays invisible with no cracking or peeling then I'm going to keep it on for as long as I can. Can't see myself spending 4+ hours every Fall.

I'm thinking of ordering the headlight pieces, but they don't recommend using the material on plastic headlights. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is this the 3M/vinyl coating that you put on?

I did the dealer-installed 3M coating on my last car, and was not impressed. It's impossible to get clean, so the car looks like it always has a film of crap on the front. It didn't even protect the paint from getting chipped! I wont be getting it on the terrain. I'd rather spend a bit more time with wax, or be at the ready with a touch-up marker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dont yet own a terrain - leaning towards getting one - but I wanted to reply on the 'clear bra'... I bought an 06 Hyundai Tucson (what i'll be trading in on a Terrain/nox) and immediately had my decal guy put clear 'decal' material that I would think is identical to the clear bra concept. (its a company car with advertising decals all over it)
That clear decal product was one of the best things I had done to protect the front of the car. I've put on over 100k km's in this 06 car, and there is not a chip or paint issue where the 'clear bra' is stuck. Its super easy to clean, no paint chips on the leading edge at all, where the decal is starting to lift (where it was heat-gunned / squeegied to fit into sharper body shapes) there is a little bit of dirt stuck to the glue in the form of dusty looking plastic - no more than 1/4" in a wrinkle. At first i was miffed about it, but overall the protection it has provided the hood... I should have done this to the wife's honda - its an 07 and looks BAD.

As for the stuff others bought, perhaps it was a thinner product? Different glue? I don't know, if someone is interested, I will contact my "sign guy" and find out more details of the product they used on my car (and will be using on the next).

I WILL be putting this product on the leading edges of ALL the sharply exposed (in the line of fire for road rocks) body work on what ever I get to replace the tucson.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SnowItch said:
Thanks for the report on the clear bra. I was toying with the idea of ordering one, but didn't want something that would detract from the looks.

Keep us updated on how it wears over time.
You can't even tell it is on. You need to look really close to even see the edges. Scottyyyc, I don't believe it is the 3M stuff, but can't comment as I've never seen the 3M vinyl. This stuff is pretty thick and is not a clear film or tint. It will defiantly protect the paint and it'll be interesting to see how it cleans and wears. Bought it for $16.99 at www.nusolis.com and came with the pieces for the mirrors. They have entire kits for the Terrain including window tint which I'll be doing next month. Pretty cheap, but remember you need to evaluate how much your time is worth because it took me 3-4 hours to get it just right. Half way through I was thinking it might be worth paying $100+ for someone else to do it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
cheddar11 said:
You can't even tell it is on. You need to look really close to even see the edges. Scottyyyc, I don't believe it is the 3M stuff, but can't comment as I've never seen the 3M vinyl. This stuff is pretty thick and is not a clear film or tint. It will defiantly protect the paint and it'll be interesting to see how it cleans and wears. Bought it for $16.99 at www.nusolis.com and came with the pieces for the mirrors. They have entire kits for the Terrain including window tint which I'll be doing next month. Pretty cheap, but remember you need to evaluate how much your time is worth because it took me 3-4 hours to get it just right. Half way through I was thinking it might be worth paying $100+ for someone else to do it.
excellent info, thank you very much.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My dealer offered something yesterday when I bought my Terrain, but I was not paying attention. I'm tempted to have it done. Wonder what an install on a Terrain would be? Anyway, since we will be traveling the South (SC & FL) I really wanted it for bug protection. But if it is not any easier to clean the bugs off the plastic than the waxed paint, I'm not sure if it is what I really want/need. I am thinking a removable leather/vinyl bra would be more practical.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
tmozer said:
My dealer offered something yesterday when I bought my Terrain, but I was not paying attention. I'm tempted to have it done. Wonder what an install on a Terrain would be? Anyway, since we will be traveling the South (SC & FL) I really wanted it for bug protection. But if it is not any easier to clean the bugs off the plastic than the waxed paint, I'm not sure if it is what I really want/need. I am thinking a removable leather/vinyl bra would be more practical.[/color]
The bra may be more practical but from prior experience on other vehicles, I've found they scuff up the clear coat.
Just a heads up, not saying this would be the case for all bras.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I also head that about the leather style bras. But with a couple coats of wax under it, it might be fine.....

Anyway, if anyone sees a leather or vinyl bra available for the front of the Terrain, please let me know where. Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just ordered the "GMC Terrain 2010 Mega Kit Clear Bra" off Ebay. I'm a little nervous about the install. Any tips would be appreciated.

It will be shipped to SC (where we are heading next week) and I will attempt the install before we leave for Florida.

I've waxed the Terrain already and I understand that I will want to strip the wax before installing. Any suggestions on the best way to do that?

Also, any tools or gadgets that I should collect to make the install job easier? Will a heat gun help, or just a hair dryer (or even a sunny day) be good enough?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Protecting the Grill

Another thought I had about bug (and other hazard) protection was: You know the triangular shield shape of that nice black grill with the big red GMC in the center? That is going to eat bugs at 70mph in the warm months, especially down south were we will be traveling.

I was thinking of getting a large enough piece of nylon screening, cutting it to the shape of the grill with about a 1/2" border, folding over the border as a lip and how securing it to the grill with double sided tape or some other removable means of securing it.

I wondering if that would cut off too much air flow? I'm also wondering if the nylon screening pushing against the black grill would cause wear and damage (although I could probably stick some temperory spacers between the screen and the front of the grill")?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tmozer said:
I just ordered the "GMC Terrain 2010 Mega Kit Clear Bra" off Ebay. I'm a little nervous about the install. Any tips would be appreciated.

It will be shipped to SC (where we are heading next week) and I will attempt the install before we leave for Florida.

I've waxed the Terrain already and I understand that I will want to strip the wax before installing. Any suggestions on the best way to do that?

Also, any tools or gadgets that I should collect to make the install job easier? Will a heat gun help, or just a hair dryer (or even a sunny day) be good enough?
Tmozer, make sure you have a good squeegee, a heat gun, a friend and a LOT of time. The grill is very difficult because of the sharp edges. Don't strip the wax, in fact try to put a coat on if you can, as this helps with removal down the road. If you have a front license plate, you'll need to do some cutting, but I recommend to cut the clear bra into 3 manageable pieces anyways.

Be prepared to do a lot of "working" the plastic bra around the curves and edges. Try to do inside a garage if you can as well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Anyone here in Central Florida I found a guy in Longwood outside Orlando who is suppose to be the Best at applying a clear bra to most any car...Only thing I do not know what the price would be..I am assuming Pricey cause this guy even flies to where someone wants it installed..Just a thought.........I'd rather have someone do it when I get my Terrain..I will still be looking...

·
Registered
265 Posts
SnowItch said:
Stop by my house on your way south - you can borrow mine ;D
Thanks. And I might as well use your garage. Feel welcome to look over my shoulder and tell me what I am doing wrong as I try the install.....

Actually my neighbor in SC thinks he can borrow a heat gun and also thinks he can help me NOT screw it up.... We shall see.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try to get a heat gun, if I didn't have one I don't think i would of got it on. Hair dryer... maybe, but it will definitely take a lot longer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I watched a couple installation videos on YouTube. I did not see anyone using a heat gun for hair dryer. Why and how do I need to use one?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Isn't a heat gun made for removing paint?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just my opinion..Find a place that installs it..I know I am going to cause when I attemt something that I am not comfortable with(plumbing..electrical etc)and I am the first one to try to save a buck ...when it comes to heat guns and paint..no thank u..I will find somebody...Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tmozer said:
I watched a couple installation videos on YouTube. I did not see anyone using a heat gun for hair dryer. Why and how do I need to use one?
Try it without one and I'll say "I told you so". You need the heat to mold the plastic around the edges and into the creases of the front end. Also helps along the adhesive. I bet the you tube videos demonstrate a nice flat surface.

·
Registered
265 Posts
cheddar11 said:
Try it without one and I'll say "I told you so". You need the heat to mold the plastic around the edges and into the creases of the front end. Also helps along the adhesive. I bet the you tube videos demonstrate a nice flat surface.
You are correct my friend. The videos were of doing the hood. I will try to have a heat gun available.

Somewhere I saw a suggestion not to attempt installing the plastic until the temp was 75 or higher. Do you think that is important? If so, I guess I will have to wait awhile......

1 - 20 of 40 Posts