GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any opinions on the best way to clean the engine on a Terrain? I find it reassuring to open the hood and see a clean engine compartment! This suggests to me proper maintenance and pride in ownership.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ive just been spraying water in it for now.

A year or so on the road and the best thing to use is diluted Simple Green. Mix it per the instructions on the bottle and spray it on a WARM engine, let it sit for about 10 minutes and spray off with water.

Be careful of fuse boxes under hood. They should be to withstand the water but direct blasts of water isnt really advised.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I wouldn't use a pressure washer or anything with enough force to get water where it isn't supposed to go. I second bballr's suggestion of simple green...and maybe a garden hose on low pressure and use your thumb to get a fine spray going. For the big plastic covering, all you should need is a damp cloth and then maybe use the same stuff that protects exterior plastic...or even Armor-all interior type products.

·
Registered
441 Posts
best way is to steam clean.....high pressure wash is bad...certain things under there dont like water ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
bballr, let me say respectfully, I don't always agree with everything you say, however, I do agree, Simple Green to clean your engine is RIGHT ON! I've been cleaning my engines in Corvettes, street rods and classic cars for 20 years using Simple Green--let it sit for 8-10 minutes, rinsing it off with the hose--no high pressure, and blowing off the water with my compressor. I've washed EFI engines as well as carburated engines using this process and I've NEVER had any problems. It works great and is very easy and quick! ;)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
lol

Simple Green is awesome for everything. Ive used it to clean everything. The fact that its non toxic just makes it better than the majority of the other products especially seeing how you are washing a vehicle.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Simple Green is also great for white walls.
On the engine, I use a commercial engine cleaner on a warm engine, leave on 5 to 10 minutes hose off. If you have access to a steam cleaner ..... it's the best for cleaning greasy crud--- use it sparingly around electrical and rubber parts. When it's mostly dry and as RS said use a compressor to blow out the hard ro reach areas you can rub a coating of ArmorAll or other rubber protectant on all the rubber parts like the water and vacuum hoses, weatherstripping and splash guards etc. Engines don't have chrome anymore so you don't have to worry about polishing that. ;D
It shoud be pretty easy to clean an engine if you don't let it take too long between cleanings.

Does anyone clay bar and wax their engine compartment?..............just kidding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts