GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure of the proper name for it but it's the exterior grey plastic that wraps around the whole Terrain body. I need to know how to properly clean it. Just got it a few days ago, trying to learn to do it properly for long life.
2014 Terrain SLT1, champagne silver/gold

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
I find that using your normal car washing procedure (soap and water) will clean up the plastic areas around the Terrain or Equinox pretty well. Between full washes, when the car is just dusty, I also use Mother's California Gold Instant Detailer (http://www.mothers.com/02_products/08224.html#&slider1=11 ) on the plastic as well as the painted area of the vehicle. I find that this process can keep both the paint and the trim looking great.

The one thing I'm sure you know is that using a normal car wax on the dark trim can be a nightmare as it turns white and is difficult to remove. I recently found Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Wax (https://www.turtlewax.com/shop/products/turtle-wax-ice-liquid-wax ) which is really a sealant and works really well on both the paint and the trim pieces. Just wipe it on with the supplied applicator and buff it off with a microfiber cloth and not only will the paint look like new but also all the trim pieces like the plastic around the bottom, window trim, etc. This product doesn't leave any residue on the dark trim pieces at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found that 303 Aerospace Protectant works great. Revived the dulled grey appearance. Looks good so far from the road grime and rain. No greasy or oily residue. I'll update if things change.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Wax, easy to apply :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I like using a silicone based tire protectant as it brings it back to new condition and lasts a long time. Used it on my old 2010 Terrain for 120K miles and trim looked brand new until traded. Wipe off any excess after about 10-15 minutes and good to go.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Be careful with tire dressing. There are a whole lot of different ones out there, but they can leave undesirable effects on the paint. I've just heard a lot of mixed reviews on it. Things like over-spray leading to marks or streaks that had to be polished out, or black plastic trim picking up a permanent iridescent-blue color. Some times this happened after a rain rinsed residue off the trip.
It seemed to be a matter of water-based or petroleum based tire dressing. I tried to find a link to something more offical, but all I get is debates in other forums about it.

Not saying you can't use it, but use it with caution and maybe test a small area for a day before using it on the whole car.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Buggsy has a great point, particularly with petroleum based protectants. As I indicated in my post above, silicone based tire protectant products are what I use and there's no problem as experienced with other types. And as with basically any application, be careful how you apply it. I always spray directly on cloth I apply it with to avoid overspray on paint, glass, & other surfaces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts