GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 GMC Terrain 2.4L SLE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I searched the forums but didn’t quite see what I thought I was after. I am looking for a tried and true method to clean up my rust and which products if any are best used. The pictures show two different spots.
Asphalt Rectangle Water Font Gas

White Automotive tire Blue Automotive lighting Asphalt

·
Registered
765 Posts
GM Offers a 6yr/100,000 mile rust through warranty on body panels. If it the vehicle is within 6 years of first being placed in service, and has 100,000 miles or less on it it should be covered...especially considering there is a hole in the panel.

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD / 2009 Torrent GT 3.4L AWD
218 Posts
I use fluid film to stop the rust from getting worst on my 98 Safari. Same for the steel wheels on my 09 Torrent and so far no rust on them. I had the steel wheel installed more than two years ago, the original aluminum wheels rotted so bad that they no longer holding pressure. I live in a salt zone.

·
Registered
765 Posts
For those spots I would probably use an iron remover product to clean off the rust and stains as best as possible (such as IronX or Adams Iron remover) and then just try to touch up those spots as inconspicuously as possible with a rust blocking primer and a touch up paint of the same paint code as the original color. It won't really prevent the rust from totally spreading, but it may slow it down.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
My spring rusted paint chip repair is to use a rust reformer primer then topcoat it with the base color and then clear coat.
You have to sand back from rust spots to fresh clean metal to get any type of lasting repair.
I'm fighting the frame rust on my Tahoe with its every summer Fluid Film application as it see's heavy duty salt exposure going sledding in the winter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
On my wife’s equinox I had several spots rusty. I took a wire wheel to clean up the rust and then applied fluid film over the bare metal. Never rusted any more for the remaining 5 years we owned it. I just touched up the fluid film now and then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts