GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a Shop-Rite Super Market near you they have Citgo Syn Blend oil on sale for $2.50 per quart. They have a 5W30 weight.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
I've always been a bit leary on Syn-blends. Does 2% synthetic make it a "blend", or is there a published number. When I want a blend, I substitute a qt. of full syn for a qt. of dino. IMHO

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At $12.50 for 5 quarts it costs the same as regular oil (I love when people say Dino oil ;D). This oil also EXCEEDS SM and API requirements and meets the GM standard for the Nox (I believe its called GM6904). The regular price is $3.50 a quart. I use regular oil all the time just picked this up because of the price.

·
Registered
441 Posts
go big or go home...no reason to buy a blend....buy dino, or full syn.....

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gar187er said:
go big or go home...no reason to buy a blend....buy dino, or full syn.....
If the syn blend is the same price as organic oil why not buy the syn blend. I'll call it Organic oil rather that "dino" oil. I just love how people fall for marketing gimmicks ;D The oil EXCEEDS SM and API requirements and GM6904 requirements... But I do own a LOT of XOM stock so please buy Mobil 1 ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
RNOX said:
If the syn blend is the same price as organic oil why not buy the syn blend. I'll call it Organic oil rather that "dino" oil. I just love how people fall for marketing gimmicks ;D The oil EXCEEDS SM and API requirements and GM6904 requirements... But I do own a LOT of XOM stock so please buy Mobil 1 ;)

what marketing gimmick?!1 where do you think petroleum comes from? organic mass heated up...not necessarily dinosaurs, but material from way backl in the day....

i know for a fact you can find dino oil cheaper then 2.50 a quart.......blends dont offer much more protection, because as was said, there really isnt a regulation that says you need X amount of full syn in the blend; to be labeled a blend.....

G

·
I find this (along with many others) funny.

99% of the oils sold in NA are not 100% synthetic. Mobil 1 when it came out was, later they sued Castrol for having a Group III oil being labeled as Fully Synthetic, Mobil 1 lost this lawsuit, so any oil that is Group III can claim to be Snythetic, a Semi-Snythetic oil comes from the SAME Group of oils. Only Group IV or Group V are true synethetics. I know of so few oils that meet those standards these days, that I can name the ones I know (Group IV PAO=Castrol Edge (or euro mix), Mobil 1 EP (or euro Mix), Amsoil, Royal Purple, any Euro oil claiming 100% syn (they have true standards while the US does not)...Group V are ester based, Red Line, Motuv are the only ones I know that meet that standard). Some also believe 0W-30 oils are PAO based, hence I always say they used better base stocks. Oil forumation changes often, and the makers keep there secrets. I know PP and Ultra are Group III, but I'm happy to run those products due to great additive package.

But if your not running any of those oils, you are running hydrocracked blended oil (more than likely). Semi-Synthetic shares the same base oil stocks as YOUR oil, so knock it all you want, but in the end they started as the exact same thing (maybe even the same batch), just different packages, and semi's are only 30% hydrocracked, while "fully sythetics" are just more processed mineral oil. All oil is blended, otherwise we would have SAE30, not 5W-30....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts