GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new 2011 Nox in November, I was changing to summer tires last week and noticed that all of my lugnuts were cracked or at lease the chrome plating was. Has this happened to anybody else out there? Why did it happen?
I have the 18 inch alloy wheels. The dealer is replacing all 20 nuts. I hope this won't happen every time I change my tires.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
Rain said:
I got my new 2011 Nox in November, I was changing to summer tires last week and noticed that all of my lugnuts were cracked or at lease the chrome plating was. Has this happened to anybody else out there? Why did it happen?
I have the 18 inch alloy wheels. The dealer is replacing all 20 nuts. I hope this won't happen every time I change my tires.
Have had mine off at least 5 times, and no evidence of cracking. (17" rims)

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I have not heard of this being a common problem. I would recommend keeping an eye on this situation. If it does happen again, I would contact your dealership right away. Please feel free to keep me updated as well. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Same issue. Bought my 2010 nox in November last year (2011) [used]. The previous owner had snow tires on steel rims so it came with it. So, my summer tires were in bags that got stored until now. I just did my summer tire change-over; because our @^#*$ provincial (Quebec) government requires us (law) to have winter tires between December 15 and March 15. Needless to say that tacks on an easy $1000 onto vehicle purchase if bought new. OK, enough spleen venting. :p

My Nox has an OEM wheel lock. I would have to say that 90% of the metal chrome jackets were cracked and loose. Can I complain to the dealer for this? I do not understand why they simply did not put solid nuts. Anybody know where I can get 20 new solid nuts ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Rain said:

Did you do the change over yourself last Nov.? If the Dealer or other tire shop did, more often then not they use air tools (air gun) to remove and install wheel nuts then torque to spec. If the socket they use is worn the racheting effect caused by the air gun when it operates, chatters on the wheel nuts and damages the finish.[/color]

Good of them to replace the wheel nuts - I'm guessing at no charge to you? - if your under 60k then its on warrenty.[/color]

·
Registered
2 Posts
GM Customer Svc said:
I have not heard of this being a common problem. I would recommend keeping an eye on this situation. If it does happen again, I would contact your dealership right away. Please feel free to keep me updated as well. Thank you in advance.

I just noticed that almost all of my lug nuts are cracking too! The cracks are from the base, running the length about 1/4"
I am going to call my dealer tomorrow. I hope they don't give me grief over this. I do my own maint, including changing to my winter rims. I can say though that I torqued the nuts in a star pattern and used a torque wrench...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
doctorpimp said:
I just noticed that almost all of my lug nuts are cracking too! The cracks are from the base, running the length about 1/4"
I am going to call my dealer tomorrow. I hope they don't give me grief over this. I do my own maint, including changing to my winter rims. I can say though that I torqued the nuts in a star pattern and used a torque wrench...
Please let me know how it goes at the dealer. Feel free to contact me if you need further assistance. Thank you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi! Sorry for bringing back such an old topic.

I'm from Québec and the chrome cap cracked too. I guess all the water freezing/unfreezing and the salt they put on the road it made the metal under the chrome cover to rust and the chrome cover ended up cracking.

The full warranty is over and knowing my dealer it's not even worth wasting my time with them.

I know I can buy the original wheel nuts for 5$ EACH in Québec... that makes 100$ for all 4 wheels. However I don't want the same nuts because I'm sure the problem will come back in a few years.

I tried to find another type of wheel nuts with a chrome finish but without a chrome cap. There are some on eBay for 25$... but I doubt they are good quality.

Any idea where I could buy some good wheel nuts online? (or maybe a local shop in Québec? I tried calling a few places but couldn't find anything)

·
Registered
210 Posts
BigBlarg said:
Any idea where I could buy some good wheel nuts online? (or maybe a local shop in Québec? I tried calling a few places but couldn't find anything)
Gorilla lug nuts have a lifetime warranty on their chrome lug nuts, but from what I've seen they run around $100 for a set. I'd rather buy a set from them than the dealer if you think they will just crack again. The lug nuts on my Mustang are just metal with an aluminum cap. They don't rust or chip, but I've had a couple of the caps separate and come off.

Good luck!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Worn impact sockets are tough on the lug nut finish.
Costco is the cheapest place around here to buy lug nuts .

·
Registered
80 Posts
darkside said:
Worn impact sockets are tough on the lug nut finish.
Costco is the cheapest place around here to buy lug nuts .
Thank you!

I went to Costco today and in fact they are much much cheaper. The lady told me the ones they are selling won't fit on mags but the shape was very similar, so I don't know.

They were also much much cheaper, $0.87 each instead of $5! I still don't know if they will rust. I'll buy a set when I switch to summer tires. If they rust, I'll keep them for the winter and buy a higher quality set for summer. (Probably what trbstang suggested)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just went online and seen this topic while I was looking for a solution to the exact same issue. I have a 2012 Equinox, and on the first year of changing winter tires I found 3 nuts cracked. Last spring, (2014) I took it to the dealer who replaced the nuts. Job done, yeah? No. This year almost all of them are cracked and one of the "Sleeves" came off. I will again go to the dealer, but I don't know what the outcome will be. Even they admitted that it is a cheap way to produce "Chrome" when nuts. Compare this to my 07 Impala, which has solid chrome nuts. The only solution I can see is to go to an auto parts store and replace all the nuts with non- OEM solid chrome nuts. So you are not alone on this issue, and BTW, GM (Lifelong GM owner here) Please stop CHEAPING OUT on materials.

·
Registered
467 Posts
TedStates said:
I just went online and seen this topic while I was looking for a solution to the exact same issue. I have a 2012 Equinox, and on the first year of changing winter tires I found 3 nuts cracked. Last spring, (2014) I took it to the dealer who replaced the nuts. Job done, yeah? No. This year almost all of them are cracked and one of the "Sleeves" came off. I will again go to the dealer, but I don't know what the outcome will be. Even they admitted that it is a cheap way to produce "Chrome" when nuts. Compare this to my 07 Impala, which has solid chrome nuts. The only solution I can see is to go to an auto parts store and replace all the nuts with non- OEM solid chrome nuts. So you are not alone on this issue, and BTW, GM (Lifelong GM owner here) Please stop CHEAPING OUT on materials.
Does this pertain to you?

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=188108

·
Registered
271 Posts
adamjeeps said:
There is certainly validity to that TSB.

A shallow socket that only covers 1/2 the cap will cause it to twist and crack the cap allowing everything to get under the cap and corrode.

GM is not the only one using this type of nut. I've had to order them for Chrysler, Ford and Toyota as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts