GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
wkeatonjr said:
Can the chrome piece for the rear bumper be added after purchase or does it require a different bumper altogether?
Ive posed this same question myself. From the shape of the standrd bumper it look's like it will fit. But i've seen a diagram that showed there are holes in the bumper that the piece fits into.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is my fist post and I just wanted to chime in and let anyone interested in this know that you can indeed add the chrome piece to your existing bumper. I just finished installing it and could not be happier with how it turned out, it looks like it came right from the factory with it on. It does require cutting 16 holes in your bumper though so it may not be for the faint of heart. I definitely consider myself a DIYer so I had to give it a shot on my own but I'm willing to bet that any independent body shop will put this on for you for around $100. I ordered the piece from gmpartsclub for $200 including shipping and it took me about 2 hours to install by myself. I made sure to take my time measuring and cutting and being extra careful not to scratch the new piece. I held the piece against the bumper and marked where the openings needed to go. I used a power multi tool to cut all the openings but a Dremel may work well too. After forcing the piece in place by hand as best I could I then used a rubber mallet to tap the piece into it's final place. I rolled up a towel and put it against the piece and hit the towel with the mallet, do not hit the new piece directly! I was only able to attach a few pictures because this is my first post. I have about a dozen of the whole process though that I may be able to post at some point. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Could you also have cut the tabs off of the chrome piece and used a 3M Double Sided Adhesive Tape to attach it ? The stuff really hold good. Seems kind of scary to be cutting slots into a perfectly good bumper. Just a thought...

·
Registered
850 Posts
Really nice install job for a DIY. The chrome package when looking from another vehicle from behind, appears the Terrain is wearing a diaper and add the beer keg, the diaper is wrapped around. Many do like the chrome from the rear end, though.

I have high heat flat black engine spray paint that is waiting to be used on the huge beer keg and pipes when it reaches 60F+ in these parts. :cheers:

Modified to add more.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
RIT333 said:
Could you also have cuts the tabs off of the chrome piece and used a 3M Double Sided Adhesive Tape to attach it ? The stuff really hold good. Seems kind of scary to be cutting slots into a perfectly good bumper. Just a thought...
That's a hell of a great idea :thumb: - no reason why not, 3M holds really well. GM uses 3M for most of its exterior factory door mouldings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I thought about grinding off the tabs and then adhering the piece to the bumper using caulk or the double sided tape but I ultimately decided to just go the other route. I'm glad I did because that thing is really on there now and there's no way it's coming off. The last thing I wanted was for it go flying off while I'm doing 70 down the highway. I figured if I ruined the bumper somehow I could get a new lower cover for a few hundred bucks. Not chump change by any means but not disastrous. But the gambled paid off and like I said it's definitely not for the faint of heart.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Looks great! Good DIY for peeps and you saved some $$ since you didn't have to buy the entire GM plastic bumper with holes in it already. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
axelfolee said:
I thought about grinding off the tabs and then adhering the piece to the bumper using caulk or the double sided tape but I ultimately decided to just go the other route. I'm glad I did because that thing is really on there now and there's no way it's coming off. The last thing I wanted was for it go flying off while I'm doing 70 down the highway. I figured if I ruined the bumper somehow I could get a new lower cover for a few hundred bucks. Not chump change by any means but not disastrous. But the gambled paid off and like I said it's definitely not for the faint of heart.
Great username by the way!! :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
axelfolee said:
This is my fist post and I just wanted to chime in and let anyone interested in this know that you can indeed add the chrome piece to your existing bumper. I just finished installing it and could not be happier with how it turned out, it looks like it came right from the factory with it on. It does require cutting 16 holes in your bumper though so it may not be for the faint of heart. I definitely consider myself a DIYer so I had to give it a shot on my own but I'm willing to bet that any independent body shop will put this on for you for around $100. I ordered the piece from gmpartsclub for $200 including shipping and it took me about 2 hours to install by myself. I made sure to take my time measuring and cutting and being extra careful not to scratch the new piece. I held the piece against the bumper and marked where the openings needed to go. I used a power multi tool to cut all the openings but a Dremel may work well too. After forcing the piece in place by hand as best I could I then used a rubber mallet to tap the piece into it's final place. I rolled up a towel and put it against the piece and hit the towel with the mallet, do not hit the new piece directly! I was only able to attach a few pictures because this is my first post. I have about a dozen of the whole process though that I may be able to post at some point. Good luck!
Nice job axe can you post the part number for that? I think I might try it out on mine.. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Of course, it's part number 25798906. I looked around quite a bit for the best deal and gmpartsclub was the cheapest when factoring in shipping and tax. I'll be able to post links after a couple more posts so I'll include the remaining pictures of the process shortly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey guys. know this is for the terrain but is it the same part number for the equinox or are the chrome plates different. ive never taken the time to look at both rears at the sametime

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is not the same part number for the Equinox, the pieces are actually quite different. The part number for the Equinox is 25798905.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question, will the Equinox bumper part number listed here fit 2014 model as well? So far no matter what i google i can only find definitive proof it'll fit up to the 13' model year. Was hoping an expert could offer their opinion. Thanks ahead of time, sorry to resurrect the thread!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Zeb said:
Question, will the Equinox bumper part number listed here fit 2014 model as well? So far no matter what i google i can only find definitive proof it'll fit up to the 13' model year. Was hoping an expert could offer their opinion. Thanks ahead of time, sorry to resurrect the thread!
If your talking about the lower chrome bumper pieces that comes standard on the LTZ's! Yes the will fit, you just have to make a few holes to mount them to the lower portion of the F&R bumpers! :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Toddman35 said:
If your talking about the lower chrome bumper pieces that comes standard on the LTZ's! Yes the will fit, you just have to make a few holes to mount them to the lower portion of the F&R bumpers! :thumb:
Thank you much sir! That was exactly what i was wondering!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts