GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question not answered by the manual - is the chrome on the hood of the 2010 Terrain Metal or Plastic? I ask this because I have some scratches (sideways?) when the chrome is viewed in bright light up close. They are more of a fetish of mine rather than OMG look at that type of problem. Please advise if known so I can figure out how to repair these scratches.

·
Registered
441 Posts
plastic.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really!! I would have thought this would be metal due to the potential for rocks etc. chipping it up or something. So if it is plastic is it replaceable from the dealer or parts department would you think? Either that or would some sort of Plastic Headlight Lens refinisher remove the micro-fine scratches do you think?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Chi847guy said:
Really!! I would have thought this would be metal due to the potential for rocks etc. chipping it up or something. So if it is plastic is it replaceable from the dealer or parts department would you think? Either that or would some sort of Plastic Headlight Lens refinisher remove the micro-fine scratches do you think?
I'm voting this is metal as there is a small dent on one side of mine from a stone and if one looks under the hood it looks like its easy to replace
Just checked a magnet doesnot stick to it must be plastic

·
Registered
101 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
I'm voting this is metal as there is a small dent on one side of mine from a stone and if one looks under the hood it looks like its easy to replace
Just checked a magnet doesnot stick to it must be plastic
Or aluminum, which is not ferromagnetic either.

·
Registered
441 Posts
quantumbyte said:
Or aluminum, which is not ferromagnetic either.
aluminum doesnt have that luster

·
Registered
239 Posts
gar187er said:
aluminum doesnt have that luster
Chromed aluminium doesn't have the luster of chromed steal or chromed plastic?
I would have thought that all three would look more or less like chrome.

·
Registered
101 Posts
GMCdriver said:
Chromed aluminium doesn't have the luster of chromed steal or chromed plastic?
I would have thought that all three would look more or less like chrome.
Agreed, And that's what I meant, not just aluminum, though I don't really know if you can actually chrome aluminum...

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
quantumbyte said:
Agreed, And that's what I meant, not just aluminum, though I don't really know if you can actually chrome aluminum...
Sure you can. There are many wheels and other parts of 'chromed aluminum'...especially aftermarket.
Chromed 'anything' picks up that darker reflective base of 'Chrome'...rather than the whitish duller shine of polished aluminum. However,some chromed plastics can 'turn'..or 'fog' beneath the chrome finish over time...especially if often out in the weather. One would think that if chromed plastic is used on many cars today...that it would be of highest quality,though...whatever that means....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts