GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, by definition, the "Chrome Clad" basically means a chrome wheel cover over top a basic steel or aluminim wheel. I ordered the 19" wheel upgrade and my vehicle should be arriving in about 3wks or so.

I'm a assuming this is much more than simply a chrome plated plastic piece stuck on like you would a wheel hub cap. Perhaps something that snaps over the 6 spokes but what about inside the wheel through the spokes. In other words, to look at these wheels from 3 feet away would you assume them to be a solid 1 piece chunk of high quality shiny fancy wheels??? not fakies with covers on them.

Can anybody with the 19" chrome clad wheels upgrade (the $900 option when you ordered your vehicle) post some really close up pictures to show how they look and if you can tell there is the covering on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
There's a link somewhere on this site to show how they're made. I have the 19's. They look great. The plastic chrome is manufactured into the wheel. It feels solid if you tap in it. It wont ever come loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,409 Posts
They won't look like old-fashioned hubcaps, because you will not see the wheel behind them. However, the hubcap is epoxied to the wheel, and if you scratch the crome-cladding, then you have to buy a whole new wheel/cladding. I haven't seen any place that sells just the cladding. That would be a good business to develop.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I hear that the actual wheel itself is made of light weight aluminum and that the chrom-clad (chrome-plastic piece) is epoxied to the wheel.

I wonder what the wheel without the cladding looks like? in other words can it somehow be removed or sandblasted off and then have a wheel shop clean them up put a nice finish on them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,409 Posts
I'd guess they are not a very pretty design underneath - just designed for functionality. IMHO
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
931 Posts
We traded in my wife's '08 HHR for the 2011 Equinox Aug 23 2010. I had purchased a set of aftermarket chrome (plastic) trim rings for around the taillights on the HHR in March '08. We kept her HHR washed and waxed on a regular bases....but,to my surprise,I noticed that the plastic rings were beginning to tarnish or 'turn' *underneath* the chrome finish to darker gray splotches with a white bubbling effect.,,although they seemed of excellent quality when installed. Hopefully GM's chrome clad wheels will hold up better.
 
2

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IceMan said:
We traded in my wife's '08 HHR for the 2011 Equinox Aug 23 2010. I had purchased a set of aftermarket chrome (plastic) trim rings for around the taillights on the HHR in March '08. We kept her HHR washed and waxed on a regular bases....but,to my surprise,I noticed that the plastic rings were beginning to tarnish or 'turn' *underneath* the chrome finish to darker gray splotches with a white bubbling effect.,,although they seemed of excellent quality when installed. Hopefully GM's chrome clad wheels will hold up better.
They are much better than what you had I'm sure....The only issue I have heard about them is do not hit a curb, rub a curb, or even get them mounted by non professionals. On the caddy chrome clad rims, I was talking to my brother about rims before, and he mentioned how many they sell of them because if you hit the face of the rim, it pretty much chips off. They are expensive to replace. Just need to take care of them. He was joking to me about how someone took it in for balance, and they installed new wheel weights, hit the face of the rim, and cracked the cover. I personally would never have them, but to each his own, I do not knock them, I've never been a fan of chrome rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
rickbb63 said:
There's a link somewhere on this site to show how they're made. I have the 19's. They look great. The plastic chrome is manufactured into the wheel. It feels solid if you tap in it. It wont ever come loose.
They are just double sided taped on.

RIT333 said:
I'd guess they are not a very pretty design underneath - just designed for functionality. IMHO
Actually, its the same design under the plastic. Its just an alloy rim.

To me, you can tell immediately that they are a plastic chromed hubcap. However, they do look good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I have the 19" Chrome-Clad wheels on our 2010 Terrain. These wheels suck! One is already cracked from what, I do not know. Dealer says I hit a curb or something, completely FALSE! Will not warranty. Also, another wheel has dent in it from what? I'm very particular about my vehicles and take very good care of them. These wheels will be replaced with aftermarket wheels very soon! Bad design from GMC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
For $3600 you can get real chrome wheels. I bought 19" chrome wheels with Michelin Latitude tires and the total including installation was $2086. Ride is very smooth :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Hello;
New Poster here.....:)....After doing some calculations I figured if someone wishes to replace the 19" chrome clad wheels with the 18" polished Aluminum wheels (as I do) all that would be needed is to go with a tire size of 235/60-18 rather than the stock size of 235/55-18 as the higher side wall compensates for the difference between the 18 and 19 in wheels. This tire size is only a small bit different in circumferance than the 235/55-19 that comes with the 19" chrome clad wheels.....according to my numbers it is a differance of just .3 inches in circumference....(distance around the outside of the tire) How does that seem to anyone out there that might consider this......:).....I wish all of you folks the best of luck in your many mods and hours of enjoyment with this very comfortable and unique vehicle.
cheers
Randy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Gdog said:
For $3600 you can get real chrome wheels. I bought 19" chrome wheels with Michelin Latitude tires and the total including installation was $2086. Ride is very smooth :)
Just FYI, GM's real chrome option 6 spoke 19" wheels vs the chrome clad 19" are the LF671 and they are $1745US shipped.
[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
ndtpage said:
I have the 19" Chrome-Clad wheels on our 2010 Terrain. These wheels suck! One is already cracked from what, I do not know. Dealer says I hit a curb or something, completely FALSE! Will not warranty. Also, another wheel has dent in it from what? I'm very particular about my vehicles and take very good care of them. These wheels will be replaced with aftermarket wheels very soon! Bad design from GMC.
I do sympathize with you there, I've had two replaced already, both on warranty. Seems that during the cladding process, some contaminants got lodged in behind and made a small 'pimple' like mark. Then some small stress cracks came to surface. So off they came.
IMO it's a bad manufacturing process so I can't wait till I get my hands on the LF671 GM wheels.
[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
OnxBear said:
Just FYI, GM's real chrome option 6 spoke 19" wheels vs the chrome clad 19" are the LF671 and they are $1745US shipped.
[/color]
Where'd you find them for that price? I test drove one with those wheels and they were over $3000. Same price through GM's site also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I do sympathize with you there, I've had two replaced already, both on warranty. Seems that during the cladding process, some contaminants got lodged in behind and made a small 'pimple' like mark. Then some small stress cracks came to surface. So off they came.
IMO it's a bad manufacturing process so I can't wait till I get my hands on the LF671 GM wheels.


How can I word it to my dealer, to get warranty to cover mine? I went to dealer where I brought the vehicle, but they say it is my fault.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Phantm006 said:
Where'd you find them for that price? I test drove one with those wheels and they were over $3000. Same price through GM's site also.
Of course they'll be 3 large at the dealer, they won't lift a finger unless they see $$$.
GMPartsDirect.com[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
OnxBear said:
Of course they'll be 3 large at the dealer, they won't lift a finger unless they see $$$.
GMPartsDirect.com[/color]
You are talking about the true chromed wheels right?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top