GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Those look nice, but I have to ask, are they aluminum?

If they are be very cautious about them sticking to the brass threads of the stems.

I learned about that the hard way. It ended up that I had to use my Dremel tool to cut the pretty red ones I bought off. What a pain in the butt that was.

I think that winter road salt might have been the culprit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i checked it out and this is what it said:
- Universal Chrome Car Tire Valve Stem Air Caps
- Material: Stainless steel alloy material
- Waterproof design: Car Tire Valves Caps Built-in Waterproof Ring

Though i can take that with a grain of salt since it came from overseas.
I too have harsh winters so i think i will take them off and put the basic ones on when that time comes.

ty

·
Registered
976 Posts
Those look nice, but I have to ask, are they aluminum?

If they are be very cautious about them sticking to the brass threads of the stems.

I learned about that the hard way. It ended up that I had to use my Dremel tool to cut the pretty red ones I bought off. What a pain in the butt that was.

I think that winter road salt might have been the culprit.

I had the same thing happen to me with aluminum caps and also had to cut two of them off with a dremel.
I think the corrosion was caused by dissimilar metals.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me with aluminum caps and also had to cut two of them off with a dremel.
I think the corrosion was caused by dissimilar metals.
Wide temperature fluctuations here in Texas in winter keeps us adjusting tire pressures; doesn't allow enough time for corrosion to develop. My experience anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh I forgot about this post. I take them off every month to check the tire pressure. Well tried to get them off after I think 3 snowfalls....nope. I heated them up with a torch and they came off. Plastics are going back on. I saw some people using a dermal tool. Even though my auction didn't say it, others warned of issues. Makes sense, aluminum on aluminum. Not aluminum on brass.
If you think you won't have the issue because of warm client, I would stay away on the colored ones. They now look purple since the color faded.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I gave up using chrome or custom valve stem caps more years ago than I can remember, they're just a magnet for kids who want them for their bicycles, I'd just as soon not have the little buggers messing around my vehicles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts