GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my dilemma I'm in the process of getting a Chevy equinox but I'm debating should I get a brand new one 2019 or get a used 2018 LT 1.5 with the driver convenient package heated seats blind side mirrors indicator. Right now the 2018 that has the same features as the 19 is on the website carvana and I know they're new but I'm not hearing anything negative about this company so I'm debating if I take a risk and go ahead and get it. What's everyone's thoughts on getting a 1-year-old car with 14,000 mi on it and the Carfax shows a good report?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
So here's my dilemma I'm in the process of getting a Chevy equinox but I'm debating should I get a brand new one 2019 or get a used 2018 LT 1.5 with the driver convenient package heated seats blind side mirrors indicator. Right now the 2018 that has the same features as the 19 is on the website carvana and I know they're new but I'm not hearing anything negative about this company so I'm debating if I take a risk and go ahead and get it. What's everyone's thoughts on getting a 1-year-old car with 14,000 mi on it and the Carfax shows a good report?
The 2019 Equinox has some new features you should be aware of, see link below.
Before you buy do some serious research.
Go to a dealership and take a long test drive.
I would go with the 19, good luck.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/04/2019-chevy-equinox-gets-new-colors-new-tech-and-a-whole-lot-more/

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
I would follow redox advice. The 2019 has some additional features and also some updates to correct a few early year issues.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Maybe provide URL Links to what vehicles you are looking at. Then less back and fort Q/A and others can provide more info.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Vehicle currently not available for purchase. Did you buy it? What would the MSRP be on a similar new 19? With the 2.0 motor? Take about $8k off that and see where it's at. I'd go for new.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I see no reason to not get the 2018. I bought an 18 courtesy vehicle and saved 14k off MSRP... As long as it's not a previous rental car, most of the ones I saw used were rental cars...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From the carfax it says it was a rental, now I sent my friend who use to work for a rental company a message to ask him if a rental with low miles ok to get and he told me it should be fine because they always clean up the car.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I personally would not buy a rental, with 2/3 warranty over, compared to a new with the full warranty to save around $2K to $4K especially or so by the look of it.

Boy those low miles of a rental are miles that people did not care about the car that put them on. Do you know if somebody did not put it in first gear manual and rpm it to the red zone for more that 10 mins ? When i hear what my young colleagues boast doing with rentals i cringe.

As somebody else mentioned ...don't look at MSRP of the new vehicle..you most probably will get around $8K shaved off that price at buying time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I personally would not buy a rental, with 2/3 warranty over, compared to a new with the full warranty to save around $2K to $4K especially or so by the look of it.

Boy those low miles of a rental are miles that people did not care about the car that put them on. Do you know if somebody did not put it in first gear manual and rpm it to the red zone for more that 10 mins ? When i hear what my young colleagues boast doing with rentals i cringe.

As somebody else mentioned ...don't look at MSRP of the new vehicle..you most probably will get around $8K shaved off that price at buying time.

It would be hard for me to buy a rental... I've known lots of people who brag about how they trash out rentals, driving over curbs, burn outs etc.... Can't say I haven't abused a rental a bit myself.. I felt buying a courtesy loaner from a reputable dealer was a good compromise.. I still have about 26 months of warranty and 31k miles plus we bought an extended 7yr/100k mile extended warranty...

·
Registered
108 Posts
The big negative with buying a rental is that they don’t report most accidents because they get it repaired internally.
That means that the carfax would be clean with or without an accident.

When we bought our Terrain, we had to decide between a 2018 demo or a 2019 brand new.
The 2018 demo was a few thousand dollars less but didn’t offer any interest rate incentives.

2018 demo was 4.99% interest
2019 new was 1.99% interest

Brand new was a lower monthly payment........We bought new

·
Registered
47 Posts
The big negative with buying a rental is that they don’t report most accidents because they get it repaired internally.
That means that the carfax would be clean with or without an accident.

When we bought our Terrain, we had to decide between a 2018 demo or a 2019 brand new.
The 2018 demo was a few thousand dollars less but didn’t offer any interest rate incentives.

2018 demo was 4.99% interest
2019 new was 1.99% interest

Brand new was a lower monthly payment........We bought new

Interesting info on the accidents.. Buying a courtesy car ours was still somehow considered used but, sounds like in your situation the 2019 was a no brainer...

·
Registered
33 Posts
You need to be aggressive on the 19. Who knows what debates will be in for May now that I'm saying this late. I bought a 19 LT with the safety package. Dealer already had like $1,500k off. Had another dealer beat them, and then went back to the first. I bought the LT price of a LS, and it was below invoice. I did a lot of dealing via email between 3 dealers.

·
Registered
462 Posts
One thing I learned about buying a rental, didn't know what a "program car" was until I went to trade it in. Dealer ran a check on our trade in (Olds) while we drove the new car (Olds) and when we got back the salesman was not at all friendly and said they would not be dealing on our old car. Pretty much a shock there. Learned a hard lesson.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
One thing I learned about buying a rental, didn't know what a "program car" was until I went to trade it in. Dealer ran a check on our trade in (Olds) while we drove the new car (Olds) and when we got back the salesman was not at all friendly and said they would not be dealing on our old car. Pretty much a shock there. Learned a hard lesson.

Agree . .. rentals get no love for resale.
However, a program vehicle can also be a GM company driven vehicle. I've purchased 4 of them out of the past 40 cars and trucks. The last was a 2005 Colorado. I would choose only the low mileages ones. . . all under 3k to 5K miles and maybe 3 or 4 months of use. Now, GM keeps the company in use much longer it seems.

Those never seem to be affected by resale. Although, that was then and a rental is looked at differently. Probably about the same as a previous trade in or lease return?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
You have not completed the legwork to make this decision. You need to go hard for the new unit first, grinding out your best deal (wherever it may be), THEN come back to the used vehicle and compare the two deals.

14,000 miles is nothing. The problem is - the risk. And the question is: are you saving enough money up-front with this purchase to neutralize that risk?

Personally, this is an easy choice for me: I’ll *never* buy the used car because - even though 14,000 miles is “nothing” (I drive all my vehicles a minimum of 222,222 miles), a LOT can happen to a car in 14,000 miles, and *no discount* (short of 100%) will make me even consider purchasing it.

If you can get a new one for close to 20% off MSRP, then ... for a 1-year-old identical (or nearly identical) vehicle with 14,000 miles ... I’d be asking for 40% off original MSRP then negotiating upward to close the “window” as close to that 40% as possible.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Also, one can negotiate the dealer throw in the "GM Certified" deal on the used vehicle that added 12 months to the standard warranty and also brought it up to 100K miles mileage drive train warranty on the used vehicle over the base drivetrain warranty. When my wife got the 2017 Nox a couple of weeks ago, that was part of the deal she got on it. Now something like that can negate the new car warranty allure and balance things out and should help mitigate any fears over buying the used Nox.

I have had very good luck with buying used vehicles over the years. Only one stinker in the group. And when one rolls a new vehicle off the lot, it loses 20% or more of its value once it hits the street. With a used one rolling off the lot, the value really doesn't change much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts