GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my nox is just over 6 months old with less than 6,100 miles on it and the Check Engine light comes on...steady, not flashing.
I push my little blue OnStar button and ask the advisor to do a diagnostic check. She says that the alert is for the Emissions system..."the emissions aren't as expected."
She reads the advice from a paper (I can hear the paper rattling) saying that if after 7 more starts and drives the light does not go out, take it in for service.
I asked if there was a code...she gave me P0142.

So I've started and driven 7 more times and the light is still on. I've checked the gas cap and it is on tight. I filled with gas from an often used station as the tank I was using was from a station I don't normally use (Sunoco).
Has anybody else had any experience with this code? I'm hoping to kinda know what to expect when I take it in.
I'll tell them what the code is when I call for an appointment and I'm hoping they won't need to keep it for days to figure it out.
This is my only vehicle, but more than that...I don't want my baby to endure the carelessness that I know happens at dealerships.

If anybody has any advice...I'd surely appreciate it.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
NoxRox said:
If anybody has any advice...I'd surely appreciate it.
Thanks!!
Most likely cause if a bad Oxygen Sensor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RIT333 said:
Most likely cause if a bad Oxygen Sensor.
Thanks RIT333

Do you know if dealerships have parts like that in stock...or will they most likely have to order it?
Is it okay to drive it until they get the part in? Light is steady...not flashing.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
241 Posts
NoxRox said:
Thanks RIT333

Do you know if dealerships have parts like that in stock...or will they most likely have to order it?
Is it okay to drive it until they get the part in? Light is steady...not flashing.

Thanks again!
They should have it in stock since it is a common part. Repair shouldn't take long and it is ok to drive for a bit until you can get it in for service.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wkeatonjr said:
They should have it in stock since it is a common part. Repair shouldn't take long and it is ok to drive for a bit until you can get it in for service.
Thanks wkeatonjr!

I get high anxiety about taking it in to the dealer...especially after my first oil change. One service tech put his paper on my hood to write down my VIN. I asked him (nicely) not to use my car as a clipboard.
Then I had to take it over to the body shop to have them look at what I thought was a paint flaw. The body shop manager actually drew a circle around the nickle sized spot with his ink pen! On my white car! I immediately rubbed it off with my finger but I couldn't believe he did that! :angryfire:

Anyway...knowing that I won't have to leave it if that's what the problem is and should they have to order a part...makes me feel better.
I'll make the call tomorrow.
I really appreciate that I can come here and get smarter about these things.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
NoxRox said:
Thanks wkeatonjr!

I get high anxiety about taking it in to the dealer...especially after my first oil change. One service tech put his paper on my hood to write down my VIN. I asked him (nicely) not to use my car as a clipboard.
Then I had to take it over to the body shop to have them look at what I thought was a paint flaw. The body shop manager actually drew a circle around the nickle sized spot with his ink pen! On my white car! I immediately rubbed it off with my finger but I couldn't believe he did that! :angryfire:
Holy crap! I'd be a little upset as well, geez.
[/color]

·
Registered
673 Posts
NoxRox said:
Thanks wkeatonjr!

Anyway...knowing that I won't have to leave it if that's what the problem is and should they have to order a part...makes me feel better.
I'll make the call tomorrow.
I really appreciate that I can come here and get smarter about these things.

I would ask him to let me borrow that pen and mark one of his show room cars....ask him how he feels about it afterwards...that would teach him a lesson, DUMBA$$

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update.....
I called the dealer last week and made an appointment to get the check engine light looked at. I told the tech what the code was. He asked me to bring it in and leave it...I said I would wait for it. I took the day off work.
After an hour and a half the tech says that they pulled an "Evap Leak" code and they were hooking it up to a smoke machine to see if there was a leak. He commented that the mechanic wasn't too happy in having to do that (like I'm happy I have to be there at all).
About 20 minutes later he comes back and says they found no leak so it must have been the gas cap. I had told him when I called to make the appointment, that was the first thing I checked and it was (and I make sure it always is) on correctly and tightened.
They reset the code and did a test drive and said if it comes on again he'll need to keep it for the day to figure it out.
I told him I DON'T want to have to come back and he assured me that they found no leak and that resetting the code should fix it.

On the way home, I notice that my Fuel Range + trip mileage (I reset this at every fill-up) went down by 25 miles. Hmmm...when the light first came on, the miles per tank had gone up suddenly. I thought it was because of the warmer weather...???
So when I get home, I look my baby over and wipe off all the greasy finger prints. Then I decide to look under the hood...out of curiosity. I open the hood and see the little hose, that hooks into the left of the engine cover was not hooked up. They also left the cap off the positive battery post. I don't know what that little hose does...but I'm pretty sure it should be hooked up.
Is there a reason they would have left that unhooked? Or were they just careless. What else might they unhooked and not hooked back up??
I also notice an increased amount of water dripping from under the engine (coming out of the straight down drain tube). Would that be due to the smoke machine?

I've started it several times since I got home but not much driving...only 7 miles to the dealer...and the light hasn't come back on.

Should I call the service department and tell them what I found?

Thoughts? Advice? All is appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
NoxRox said:
Update.....
I called the dealer last week and made an appointment to get the check engine light looked at. I told the tech what the code was. He asked me to bring it in and leave it...I said I would wait for it. I took the day off work.
After an hour and a half the tech says that they pulled an "Evap Leak" code and they were hooking it up to a smoke machine to see if there was a leak. He commented that the mechanic wasn't too happy in having to do that (like I'm happy I have to be there at all).
About 20 minutes later he comes back and says they found no leak so it must have been the gas cap. I had told him when I called to make the appointment, that was the first thing I checked and it was (and I make sure it always is) on correctly and tightened.
They reset the code and did a test drive and said if it comes on again he'll need to keep it for the day to figure it out.
I told him I DON'T want to have to come back and he assured me that they found no leak and that resetting the code should fix it.

On the way home, I notice that my Fuel Range + trip mileage (I reset this at every fill-up) went down by 25 miles. Hmmm...when the light first came on, the miles per tank had gone up suddenly. I thought it was because of the warmer weather...???
So when I get home, I look my baby over and wipe off all the greasy finger prints. Then I decide to look under the hood...out of curiosity. I open the hood and see the little hose, that hooks into the left of the engine cover was not hooked up. They also left the cap off the positive battery post. I don't know what that little hose does...but I'm pretty sure it should be hooked up.
Is there a reason they would have left that unhooked? Or were they just careless. What else might they unhooked and not hooked back up??
I also notice an increased amount of water dripping from under the engine (coming out of the straight down drain tube). Would that be due to the smoke machine?

I've started it several times since I got home but not much driving...only 7 miles to the dealer...and the light hasn't come back on.

Should I call the service department and tell them what I found?

Thoughts? Advice? All is appreciated.
Thanks!
I would recommend mentioning this to the dealer. I would also be willing to make a note of this for you. Please feel free to contact me with more information including your contact info, the last eight of you VIN, current mileage, and dealer name. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Tricia...sent you a PM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts