GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Chech engine light when cold?

10K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Terra-Nox 
#1 ·
CEL came on the other day..A couple of stops after re-fueling,it was cold... went out 2 days later when the weather got mild...(?) It ran fine... anybody got any ideas?

2011,4cyl... 2000 kms

#2 ·
rick7343 said:
anybody got any ideas?
Possibly the gas cap didn't seal well because of the cold, and once it warmed up, the rubber gasket softened up, and made a better seal. Just a SWAG. The code should be stored for awhile, You can usually pull the code from most auto parts stores for free, or take it to the dealer. Depends on whether you want to spend 5 minutes, or 5 hours !

#3 ·
RIT333 is right, the most common cause of the check engine light in modern cars is the gas cap being off, misaligned or not tightened down enough. Maybe car makers should have a separate warning light for the gas cap instead of making everyone think their engine is about to explode? :D

#4 ·
NoobNox said:
Maybe car makers should have a separate warning light for the gas cap instead of making everyone think their engine is about to explode? :D
Great idea, BUT I'll bet mechanics can make a lot of extra cash "fixing" faulty gas caps ! They would certainly lobby against your idea. ;D ;D

#7 ·
My cel light just came on the other day too, onstar said it was something with the fuel pump (same error code I had when I was driving too and from florida). I filled up the day before right as I was going home so I reseated my gas cap and it went away. One thing I hate about when you have a cel on is the remote start dont work :( 50k+ and still no major issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.