GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone, sorry if this has been covered. I searched but couldn't find anything. That said, my wife drives a 2008 Equinox Sport AWD. Her front tires are worn pretty bad, but the rears are still ok. So, we were planning on just replacing the fronts. Well, the tire guys says you really shouldn't do that with AWD's as it could damage the system. Thought he was full o' crap, but turns out he might be right. Anyone have any experience with this??

She/we would prefer not to have to shell out money for a full set at this time, BUT will do so if need be.

Been doing some research, and it seems the true AWD system are the ones most at risk for issues. Since the Nox is more of a FWD with a little rear power at times, does that make it less susceptible to problems? Or not even worth the potential problems?

Nox has 53xxx miles, and she plans on driving it until it dies...THANKS in advance!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hhmm might be a tough call on this. I would guess there would not likely be a mechanical issue (like true full time AWD vehicles might have), but potentialy if the speed sensors detect enough differance it may turn the AWD off, perhaps ABS also.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would be happy to look into this for you. In order to do more research, I will need your VIN. Please feel free to contact me via private message as well. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
I would be happy to look into this for you. In order to do more research, I will need your VIN. Please feel free to contact me via private message as well. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
PM Sent. Thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
you have the right idea...this is NOT full time awd/4wd....get two tires, cand call it a day...and dont forget to rotate!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since it is a vehicle we will keep until it dies, went ahead and replaced all 4. Bonus being that my 2006 Impala SS uses the same tire size. So, have good spares now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts