GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 2LT, I4, FWD. Is changing the transmission fluid a dealer only service? I have access to a lift, and am plenty handy and knowledgable with car repair. I'm not talking about a flush, just draining "most" of the fluid and changing the filter in the pan (I assume it has one).

·
Registered
715 Posts
There is a drain plug under there so the DIY folks could change it themselves.

GM is big on filters and the transmission filter should be changed as well.
That means dropping the pan on the tranny. Major mess time.

The last time I changed the fluid on a GM, I used Mobil -1 t fluid and it worked very well.

The newer GM specs call for Dex IV (Dex 6) which is a 'blend' much like Dexos 1 engine oil is.

The transmission gasket is re-useable, so remove carefully, it's not cheap.

My 2¢

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a lift, and an oil collection pan/tank that should catch pretty much everything. As far as I know, there is no dipstick, the tube of which is how I have always added fluid in the past. Where is the fluid added? Since there is no way to check the level, I have to precisely measure what I remove and add the same amount. This might be an issue. It might just be less hassle to have the dealer do it, but I like doing things myself so I know exactly what and how it was done.

·
Registered
10,591 Posts
jpaw24 said:
It might just be less hassle to have the dealer do it, but I like doing things myself so I know exactly what and how it was done.
Let's see... you trust the dealer's mechanic more than yourself ? Humm, personally, on something like this, I'd prefer to do it myself, and know that it was done correct. Especially, as you say, there is no way to verify that the correct amount of T-fluid was added.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd prefer to do it myself, but without the proper procedures and knowledge, the dealer is more well suited for the task it seems.

I guess I need to know where to fill the fluid, and if there is anything special I need to look out for. Other than that, I'm sure I'll figure a way to accurately measure the fluid drained. If it comes down to it, I'll just slowly drain it into empty 5 quart oil containers...

·
Registered
10,591 Posts
If we are real good to her, I'll bet that Polrcub would scan the procedure for us and post it, right Polrcub ?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
RIT333 said:
If we are real good to her, I'll bet that Polrcub would scan the procedure for us and post it, right Polrcub ?
Well, let's see . Lol
I could do that yes,,, however I was just trying to start a thread on my shark fin and HID fogs and DRL's but for some reason I can't post pics.
Can't change my font color or use the emojicons either, this has been ever since the Forum changed servers.
I'll have to get admin. to look into it.
Sorry for now

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
POLRCUB said:
Well, let's see . Lol
I could do that yes,,, however I was just trying to start a thread on my shark fin and HID fogs and DRL's but for some reason I can't post pics.
Can't change my font color or use the emojicons either, this has been ever since the Forum changed servers.
I'll have to get admin. to look into it.
Sorry for now
Thanks, that would be really helpful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
jpaw24 said:
I have a 2010 2LT, I4, FWD. Is changing the transmission fluid a dealer only service? I have access to a lift, and am plenty handy and knowledgable with car repair. I'm not talking about a flush, just draining "most" of the fluid and changing the filter in the pan (I assume it has one).
Just a quick question - why do you want to change it? Do you have a lot of miles, or having issues with your transmission? I don't have it in front of me but I think the first scheduled service is at 100k miles.

My last vehicle, a 1996 Subaru Impreza, advised that under normal circumstances the transmission fluid & filter should never be changed. I was a little nervous about that, but followed the recommendation. When I traded it in the odometer read 235k miles, the transmission still had the factory fluid installed, & I never had a problem with it.

Unless you are having an issue or are reaching the maintenance interval, you may be just as well off to not change it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kevinch said:
Just a quick question - why do you want to change it? Do you have a lot of miles, or having issues with your transmission? I don't have it in front of me but I think the first scheduled service is at 100k miles.

My last vehicle, a 1996 Subaru Impreza, advised that under normal circumstances the transmission fluid & filter should never be changed. I was a little nervous about that, but followed the recommendation. When I traded it in the odometer read 235k miles, the transmission still had the factory fluid installed, & I never had a problem with it.

Unless you are having an issue or are reaching the maintenance interval, you may be just as well off to not change it.
I have reached the maintenance interval for "towing and/or mountain driving." Although I barely towed my jetskis, I do drive in some pretty "hilly" areas on a daily basis in southern CA. I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to change it, although I am having no issues and it is performing as it did the day I took it home from the dealer. I have about 72k miles on it.

·
Registered
10,591 Posts
jpaw24 said:
I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to change it, although I am having no issues and it is performing as it did the day I took it home from the dealer. I have about 72k miles on it.
+1

·
Registered
715 Posts
Despite the 100K mile interval for this service, I tend to stick to the idea of getting ahead of the game and changing T-fluid at 35,000 miles back when Dex III was the norm. Now, with the Dex IV (A blend) I plan on changing at around 50,000 miles.
There is always a small amount of 'fines' in the pan and, since I've had a old Chevy that would lock up the trans every so often until the filter/fluid was changed and the pan cleaned out. No problems after that. So I like to stay ahead of he game.

My 2¢

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
dwendt44 said:
There is a drain plug under there so the DIY folks could change it themselves.

GM is big on filters and the transmission filter should be changed as well.
I'm going to look into this tomorrow Jpaw24, as I don't think the 2012 models have a tranny filter from what my Hubby tells me, earlier models could have though. If there is for the MY10 & 11's I will have him post the procedure. He has access to the service manuals electronically and I don't mess with his stuff in his office.

I sent you a pm as well.[/color]

·
Registered
673 Posts
POLRCUB said:
I'm going to look into this tomorrow Jpaw24, as I don't think the 2012 models have a tranny filter from what my Hubby tells me, earlier models could have though. If there is for the MY10 & 11's I will have him post the procedure. He has access to the service manuals electronically and I don't mess with his stuff in his office.

I sent you a pm as well.[/color]

transmission filter #24253594

1 - 20 of 30 Posts