GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
As of about a month ago my wife and I purchased a 2011 Equinox 1LT 2.4l. This past weekend I performed the first oil change at right around 1200 miles. It's something I have always done with a new engine after 1000 miles. This post isn't about oil change frequency however. I took some time to look around underneath the car to see where everything was and how it's laid out. That's when I got a close look at the serpentine belt and it's proximity to the inner front fender. I hope that thing never breaks because I have no idea how someone would change it without pulling the entire engine.
How about the water pump or the alternator. The Alternator is halfway up the front of the engine and looks like it's too high up to reach from the bottom and too low to reach from the top. Anyone here know or have access to the GM manual that gives directions on how to work on the accessories on the front of the engine?

On an unrelated note the DIC is now showing a 2mpg average increase when I went from the factory oil to Penzoil platinum. We put about 60 miles a day on the car commuting so every little bit helps. If I can get 25mpg in mixed driving I will be very happy.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Yea, transverse mounted engines with a front wheel drive setup can be a bear to work on...probably best left to the people with the right tools and experience. On the other hand, oil changes on this engine are even easier than the 289 V8 in a 66 Mustang that i had in high school...and you could drop a wrench on either side of that engine and it would fall straight to the ground.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts