GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally did it--changed the oil and filter on my new Nox. First time I have changed the oil on my own car in 40 years. I used this forum to help me and everything went without a hitch. Put a new WIX filter and 5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum at a total cost of 32.00. I did have to buy first time items--ratchet, sockets, wrench, oil pan and ramp--but won't have to pay for those items again. Took all of 20 minutes and I saved about 50 bucks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
With the saving of doing it yourself, you can purchase exceptional quality oil and filters for the price of a conventional oil change done at any shop. I've been doing my own oil changes since 1978 starting with my 1967 Cutlass. My son had a 2004 Cavalier with the I4 Ecotech motor and already had the tool for the oil filter, so when we bought the 2011 Equinox, I had these already. How much and where did you find the Wix filter?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went on Amazon automotive and purchased 3 for about 26 bucks with free shipping and no tax--they arrived in 3 days---also will try Mobil One oil filters in the future. It was nice to have no gas smell in the oil and no shavings or particles in the old filter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sweet. I'm fixing to head out to the garage to do mine. I picked up some Pennzoil Ultra w/a Pureone filter. It's only got 900 miles (give or take a couple) and it's time for change #1.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I definitely want to make my synthetic change to Pennzoil Platinum, just curious to where you guys find such good deals where its only costing $32 per change?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get the 5 quart size of pennzoil platinum at the big store that starts with W for 24.99 and order the filter online for about 8.00, so about 32.00 for both. My mileage was at 1600 for change # 1. Will probably do change # 2 at 7500 miles.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Congrats and welcome back the the DIY crowd. Makes you feel like you really accomplished something great doesn't it ..... and you know for certain that you got what you payed for.
It costs me just about $40 for 6 qts of Amsoil 5-30 syn oil (GM spec) and a Wix filter(sold through Amsoil). The warehouse is just down the street from my office so availability is not a problem.
I personnally think Wix is the best filter on the market.
You didn't mention it but you did buy some latex gloves didn't you?
I take my used oil to either Pep Boys, any auto parts store or an oil change store. Some full service gas stations will take it also. All at no cost.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
So you don't get all that bad used oil seeping into your skin and causing a third eye to develope in your offspring. ;D ;D

Even though I have never worn latex gloves, from what I read and hear there is some bad stuff in used oil. I don't have any warts yet though. I do wear canvas gloves, mainly because of the hot oil and filter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
GARYD said:
So you don't get all that bad used oil seeping into your skin and causing a third eye to develope in your offspring. ;D ;D

Even though I have never worn latex gloves, from what I read and hear there is some bad stuff in used oil. I don't have any warts yet though. I do wear canvas gloves, mainly because of the hot oil and filter.
I'm only 24 but I've been changing my own oil since I was 16. I have never used gloves and get some oil on my hands but never had any problem with warts or anything.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think it's all scare tactics myself. I've been changing oil for over 50 years and no side effects. I also use to break open thermometers and play with the mercury by coating coins with it. My mom told me when I was very young I use to chew on the window sills that were all painted with lead paint(everything was painted with lead paint back then). My parents house was sided with asbestos siding and I smoked for over 50 years (quit 11 years ago). According to all these things, I should be dead now, but I'm as fit as any 40 year old--according to my doctor. Never had any major health problems. I've outlived 3 doctors so far. ;D

Like I said, I only wear a glove because the filter is way too hot to handle bare hands.

·
Registered
10,396 Posts
GARYD said:
... but I'm as fit as any 40 year old--according to my doctor.
Ha - my Dr. told me the same this - but I was 21 at the time ! LOL

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Rit333, see what the good life will do to you! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
10,396 Posts
GARYD said:
Rit333, see what the good life will do to you! ;D ;D ;D
Actually, I am much older than 40, and would challenge my "real-age" with most people under 40. I try to take care of myself - and my cars also !

·
Registered
978 Posts
RIT333 said:
I try to take care of myself - and my cars also !
Who's winning? ;D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Rit333, I'm in the same boat. Too bad I can't get my kids to realize that if you take care of something it will last longer and you'll get more money for it when the time comes to sell it.

Well MOCHANOX, if Rit333 rubs Amsoil 5-30 syn all over his body....he'll win. ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
10,396 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
Who's winning? ;D
I like to "change my oil" more often than the "oil life monitor" (aka wife) says it needs to be changed !!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
There was something I was going to say to that, but thought I'd better not. ROTFLMAO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts