GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping around for a terrain and had a dealer this weekend suggest that when the vehicle comes in I purchase a ceramic paint protective coating for $500.00 He claims that once the vehicle is treated that you will never have to wax it again. If the paint becomes watermarked from acid rain, etc they will repaint the vehicle no questions asked. He also claimed that if the vehicle was ever in an accident that insurance will repay to have the vehicle retreated. I have never heard of such a paint treatment but thought that I would see if anyone on the board has.

Thanks,
Donny

·
Registered
265 Posts
When I bought my Terrain they included this for Free..Down here in Florida at certain times of the year we have love bugs which are a pain on front ends and paint..Mine is a 5 yr warranty and they redo it every year..Mine is a Simonize coat..I just go thru a good car wash no bristle brushes..I think its great..When I had my Rav4 and waxed it..No matter how careful I would always get wax swirls on the hood..Some people say its a waste of money but like i said i really like it..I have had my Terrain 4 months and no complaints with this treatment

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used to have a Pro detailing business in Florida and thru all my research found that the "coatings" the dealers put on are a joke. I also used to sell cars and know for a fact that any sealant we used to sell was always just extra cash for the salesman and the shop guys used to joke about all the suckers that paid for it. They push it hard because its extra cash for them not to protect you. No matter what they add to the paint it is not paint and paint is the only thing that lasts for the life of the car. You are much better off saving the 500 and having it detailed by a professional using quality products than having any "ceramic" thing put on. Some products do seal the paint but only for about 4 months max. Also you should not touch the paint of a new car for at least 4-6 months as this is how long it takes for the paint to seal from the factory. Up until around 6 months the paint is curing and sealing/adding to it can prevent it from doing it properly. You can apply a wax but sealing the paint is not recommended.

I would recommend finding a quality company to apply a good sealing product in about 4 months. I always used Menzerna which is designed for and used by most german car companies and has been adopted lately by a lot of the US car manufacturers. Again this seal will only last for maybe 4 months but should cost around 150 to apply from a good shop.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
We bought some kinda lifetime paint/rust/interior protection package.
I forgot what it's called but it is supposed to be comprehensive coverage.
I'll dig it up when I get home some time this week and post back more info.
We financed it so the $$/year was not that bad, overall.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What do you think of it..Do u wax your car..Like I said before I just get a carwash and when LoveBugs do happen to get on the paint the do come up rather easy and no water marks permanent like I had on my Rav4 from the Heat and Sun..Its been in the mid 90's for 2 weeks here..

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
nitti48 said:
What do you think of it..Do u wax your car..Like I said before I just get a carwash and when LoveBugs do happen to get on the paint the do come up rather easy and no water marks permanent like I had on my Rav4 from the Heat and Sun..Its been in the mid 90's for 2 weeks here..
Haven't done anything 'cept hand, auto soft cloth and no touch car washes.
Still looks like the day we got 'er knock on wood!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yep me also..I could not stand the swirls on my front hood of my Rav4 when I waxed..The black color I am sure did not help but the water here and watermarks were bad..I think the Carbon Black Metallic is a much better paint and I like u have had no problems(Knock on Palm Tree) ;D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
nitti48 said:
Yep me also..I could not stand the swirls on my front hood of my Rav4 when I waxed..The black color I am sure did not help but the water here and watermarks were bad..I think the Carbon Black Metallic is a much better paint and I like u have had no problems(Knock on Palm Tree) ;D
Knock on palm tree, LOL!
8) ;D
Yes, I didn't want the Carbon Black Metallic (I'd prefer the silver or mocha for less dirt visibility), wife did, but I must admit, it sure is sweet, especially in the sunlight with all the metal flake.

Anyway, we bought the GMPP (Protection Plus, 7 years total)[/color], Tire Protection Plan[/color] and the Sym-Tech Paint, Upholstery, Rust Protection and Rip, Tear and Burn Lifetime Guarantee[/color].

Don't think we could have bought anything else!
It was in our budget and it's wife's car so whether we got hosed or not remains to be seen, I guess.
We really like our Dealer and don't anticipate any major problems with them in the future.
They're a great bunch and have taken good care of us even post-sale.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
My new Nox will be garaged when at home and under a carport at work...I plan on just using "Nufinish" (had good luck with it before) once or twice a year and call it good. I live in north Texas and salt is rarely ever used on the roads, and even if it is we have the good fortune of relatively warm weather following an ice storm so we can clean our cars pretty quickly. $500 for a "lifetime" sealant sounds dubious at best...do they guarantee it to still bead water 5 years from application?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Gearhead...Son-in-law..daughter and grandson just got transferred to Troy,Michigan..Area any good?? I am originally from a burb of Buffalo NY trying to get back but can't sell our house :'(

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
nitti48 said:
Gearhead...Son-in-law..daughter and grandson just got transferred to Troy,Michigan..Area any good?? [/color]I am originally from a burb of Buffalo NY trying to get back but can't sell our house :'(
nittle48, Troy is a very nice, upper and upper-middle class suburb about 25 minutes drive north of Detroit via I-75 with all the amenities of most US suburbs.
Nice offices, shopping complexes, well maintained roads, good water supply, etc.
Troy's a fairly new, well developed, modern area.
I'd say they'll be very happy with their new surroundings.
Here's to their success and good luck!

Google map:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=troy+michigan&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=45.306953,114.521484&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Troy,+Oakland,+Michigan,+United+States&t=h&z=13

·
Registered
365 Posts
It is Snake oil!!!!!!
Keep a fresh coat of Rejex on the car and nothing will stick to it. I use it on the front of my white Corvette. It was made for the military to keep the planes free from stains. It is $20.00 a bottle. I get it at the local true value hardware store. Easy on easy off with no powder. I use it on my wifes black trailblazer also. Bugs hose right off as long as you keep a coat on the vehicle.

http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts