GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My center caps on two of my wheels have white spots on them.. I tried picking it off a little to see if it was just something on there but I think that the silver color has came off of the center caps.. is this something that can be replaced under warranty? I tried to take care of it in the winter since I'm from MN and there's salt on the roads in the winter as we all know. Also, my hitch receiver is starting to rust a little...

I hope there's something I can do, i mean paying 26+K is alot to spend on a car with chipping center caps. :-\

Is this happening to anyone else?

·
Registered
193 Posts
That's what happens when you drive on roads treated with salt :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there anything I can do to prevent this? It's only on the back wheels oddly. Pretty lame.

·
Registered
10,394 Posts
barn07 said:
Is there anything I can do to prevent this? It's only on the back wheels oddly. Pretty lame.
I also drive on salted roads in Upstate NY, and I do not notice any problem with the center caps. BUT, I have factory "mud guards" - possibly that it the answer. Possibly the reason your rear caps have the problem is from the dirt being thrown from the front tires. The front mud guards help prevent this.

Do you have mud guards ? ( if you say Yes, then my whole theory is shot down !!!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RIT333 said:
I also drive on salted roads in Upstate NY, and I do not notice any problem with the center caps. BUT, I have factory "mud guards" - possibly that it the answer. Possibly the reason your rear caps have the problem is from the dirt being thrown from the front tires. The front mud guards help prevent this.

Do you have mud guards ? ( if you say Yes, then my whole theory is shot down !!!)
I do have mud guards. I was looking at new ones.. found this link http://www.chevypartsplus.com/product_info.php/equinox-center-cap-p-1200

i don't know if this image is the same as what you get since they are different looking than the ones I have...but the first sentence of the description says this: "Made of durable material to resist corrosion for long life." :D

edit: I have the molded splash guards of whatever they are called..plasticy, I think this is the same think you are talking about

·
Registered
10,394 Posts
WOW - that is big buck for just center caps. I would think there must be a cheaper solution, although I don't know what it is. Won't the dealer warranty yours ? If so, then how about a bunch od coats of clear-coat, or I have some spray Chip-guard product that they used to use on cars along the rocker panels. If you can't find it, I can sell you mine. I have a ton (ok, a pound) of it left.

Let me know if you are interested - I can locate it, and let you know what the product is.

Additional info - Here it is http://www.goferauto.com/detail-chip-guard-aerosol-clear.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I found these, I think they are the actual OEM ones, MUCH cheaper!!:)

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214858&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2504&groupid=2504&subgroupid=2510&componentid=0&make=6&model=Equinox&year=2011&graphicID=GV10275&callout=5&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

When I got my nox they offered the "Zurich" guard with the car, which i opted to get, so I think that the paint is covered for chips, although im sure the dealer would say "oh thats normal wear and tear/owner neglect"

·
Registered
10,394 Posts
I just looked on Ebay with my search as :

(Chevy,Chevrolet) Center caps

and I had quite a few hits at some pretty good prices. Take a look.

Rit

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Why not go to the dealer? Its covered in the bumper to bumper warranty as long as they were not damaged. Lots of users have had the chrome replaced because it bubbled.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The dealer should replace them. When our '00 Malibu was still under warranty, I had two center caps replaced because the gray bowtie paint faded to the surrounding sliver color. Take it in and see what happens.

·
Registered
978 Posts
barn07 said:
Well I found these, I think they are the actual OEM ones, MUCH cheaper!!:)

When I got my nox they offered the "Zurich" guard with the car, which i opted to get,
so I think that the paint is covered for chips, although im sure the dealer would say
"oh thats normal wear and tear/owner neglect"
Here is my take on it...and I'm on your side OK?

As bballr4567 says...go to the dealer...or go back to the dealer.
Did you already go there and get shot down?
If you did already go to the dealer...was it the Service dept that said "no"?

Whatever the case is...the retail price you found in your link is probably around cost + 25% or a bit more.
That means the dealer probably gets them for about $12.00 a piece ($48.00 for 4)

If I was your selling dealer and my service department liked to play "hardball"
to keep their "Warranty dollar per vehicle ratio" low and "stay under the radar"
with GM using tactics like claiming "wear and tear" on an issue that should be covered.

And you bought your NOX from me and the bozos in Service tried to "blow you off"...
and you came to my Sales Manager and said...

"Look, I bought the NOX from you...I paid for your Zurich guard...and now after doing MY PART
your folks are telling me I can't get $50.00 worth of center caps replaced? I mean...come on...
GM can't make center caps that will resist corrosion for at least 3/36 and your folks are telling me
I don't have some kind of coverage?"

I'd be telling my folks to take care of you...NOW !!!

Personally I'd even bet they would save the owner's $50 bucks and warranty the caps...
which puts you in a position of having that nice piece of paper showing they did it once...
and if the second set goes belly up...you can shake that invoice in their face for another set.

I mean...that's just my take and how I would handle it if I were you

Now if you get close to the end of your basic warranty and the caps are still "failing"...then you might
consider "buying out of pocket" for a "good weather set" and having a "tore up set" for winter...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No I haven't gone to the dealer yet. I actually wanted them to clean something in my interior that got stained somehow, they said I would have to pay for a detail..which.. ahh no.. I have Zurich. I mean... really? Anyway, I am just trying to figure out if I have a legit case to get some new ones. I posted a few pictures, they aren't so great though. Here is what i found for the warranty: http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty/ "All body and sheet metal." I'm not sure if it falls under this. After I see this it sys " Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended." Meaning I shoudnt have to do anything to keep it clean even though I do, ALL the time!!

I shall go there and demand new center caps. I mean I got it in what.. September? I can't imagine what they would look like in three years! :-\

thanks for all the input everyone!

I will post back when I find out what they say

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
When its talking about rust prevention and all that crap, its talking about the stuff that the dealer tries to sell you when you purchase the vehicle.

Call the dealer. Seriously. Its covered under your bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
Yep..you shouldn't need to 'demand' anything. It is covered under warranty..just as practically everything else on your new car(bumper to bumper). BTW..is this your first new car?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IceMan said:
Yep..you shouldn't need to 'demand' anything. It is covered under warranty..just as practically everything else on your new car(bumper to bumper). BTW..is this your first new car?
Yes, this is my first new car. I'm only 21, so this is actually the only second car I have had. I had and still have an 01 Neon (awesome). I don't really understand the whole concept of an actual warranty for a car yet haha :D

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
barn07 said:
Yes, this is my first new car. I'm only 21, so this is actually the only second car I have had. I had and still have an 01 Neon (awesome). I don't really understand the whole concept of an actual warranty for a car yet haha :D
Ha..no problem ;) ..I was in the same boat..a long time ago.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: Center caps chipping, now have white spots

Finally had a chance to take the nox to the dealer. They went ahead and replaced the centercap and rim since both had defects/corrosion on them. The rim had raised bumps in some spots.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts