GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 Nox that has been a perfect car. Just normal maintenance. It has 60K miles on it, no warranty anymore. I took my car to the dealer on Tuesday to have my fuel injection system cleaned, as well as induction/throttle body service. I picked the car up on Wednesday, and it drove fine, but I noticed the clock time was wrong. No problem...I figured that when they did their routine diagnostic checks on the vehicle, they must have detached the battery or something, so I reset the clock and went home. Later Wednesday night, I went for a drive and realized my CD player wasn't working. It said "CD Changer Error" (it's the 6-CD changer factory model that came with the car). Cant eject the discs, can't load new ones, and it won't play anything. The radio works fine, though.

I called the dealer this morning to find out what caused this and to ask if there's a code to reset it or something, and he said he forgot to tell me that the car was dead on Wednesday morning when they tried to drive it into the service bay, so they had to jump start it. Then he said the battery tested fine, and the car was mechanically fine from what the service guys saw.

He feels that the wiring of the CD player is faulty and caused the battery to run down overnight. He said he heard something 'running' when he got in the car to get the mileage on it when I checked it in on Tuesday, but he didn't check to see what it was. Now he thinks the CD player was what he heard running. So odd that it happens right when we take it in for service. Also odd that he didn't mention it until I called to ask about the CD Player not working anymore. It seems that would be important to tell someone---"Hey, your car died this morning". That's something I'd want to know, naturally.

Anyway, the dealer is saying it's nothing they did, and that we just need to go get a new radio somewhere (they suggested Best Buy since they admit their prices are over the top for new radio systems).

My question is...if we replace the radio, will it fix the problem? And that's why I'm typing this post--has anyone had this problem before? I've read about others online having it, and that over time, their batteries will just die and leave them stranded, so they end up having to pull the fuse for the radio in order to not break down everywhere. I don't want to spend money on a new radio just to have it do the same thing and still leave me stranded. I'm kind of nervous about driving it now and getting stuck with a cart load of groceries and a car that won't start to bring them home and have them go bad while I'm waiting for a ride.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Pat

·
Registered
338 Posts
That's not very good service for sure.

I would pull the fuse for the player, wait 30 seconds and then put it back in. Do this WITHOUT the ignition on. I do this on a lot of vehicles and most of the time it will reset the CD player and when you reinstall the fuse and turn the key on the CDs will eject.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 equinox as well. About two months ago, I noticed that my cd player was showing this exact message(cd changer message). I couldnt play or eject the cd's but since the radio worked, I didnt rush to have it looked at. My first priority was that my car was having issues of overheating occasionally. I fixed the overheating problem(radiator). But a few weeks later, my car wouldnt not crank up. I thought somehow it was the overheating problem. It was that my battery was dead. I thought that was strange since i purchased a new battery about two years ago. My battery was so dead that it could not be jumped and had to charge to restart my car. The following morning, it wouldnt start again. So now I am confused as to why my battery is dying. So, after all that i decide to buy a new battery. After I install it I noticed the cd error msg and I can hear the CD's changing with the car turned off. Thats when I realized why my battery was dying ::). I removed the fuse to the radio. But I am hesitant on taking it to the dealer...... :banghead:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts