GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for the info! I haven't used the CFM oil cap breather since I installed the catch can; but I think it may be a good idea! I'll give it a shot!
Hello,Eric J, Kindly, could you update me, did using the cfm vented oil cap reduce the crankcase gunk from backing up into your cleanside PCV catch can?

As a background for other folks, as EricJ said in earlier in this thread,
he put a catchcan on his cleanside PCV and noticed it fill up with crankcase gunk quicly
Then , thinking his dirty side PCV was plugged , he replaced the the black plastic intake manifold, which is not an easy job in this equinox. The black plastic intake manifold has the dirty side PCV orificemolded into it.......
But
Despite a brand new, clean and unplugged dirty side PCV orifice,
Still the clean side breather hose, to which Eric J has a catch can hooked up...
Despite a new and clean dirty side PCV, piston blow by still filled the cleanside PCV catch can with crankcase gunk....

Then EricJ said he would use the cfm oil cap again.
So the question I ask, EricJ, is did adding the cfm oil cap stop the cleanside PCV catch can from filling up?

I predict, since the cfm oil cap keeps crankcase pressure at about zero psi, that ericJ's cleanside catch can should be clean, it should not fill up with crankcase gunk, since there is no crankcase pressure. To push thecrankcase gunk into the clean side PCV catch can...

And that same principle ^^ is how the cfm oil cap prevents rear main seal failure, since it is the gunk in cleanside PCV hose that freezes solid in Ice cold weather., and the cfm oil cap vents crankcase pressure...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,Eric J, Kindly, could you update me, did using the cfm vented oil cap reduce the crankcase gunk from backing up into your cleanside PCV catch can?

As a background for other folks, as EricJ said in earlier in this thread,
he put a catchcan on his cleanside PCV and noticed it fill up with crankcase gunk quicly
Then , thinking his dirty side PCV was plugged , he replaced the the black plastic intake manifold, which is not an easy job in this equinox. The black plastic intake manifold has the dirty side PCV orificemolded into it.......
But
Despite a brand new, clean and unplugged dirty side PCV orifice,
Still the clean side breather hose, to which Eric J has a catch can hooked up...
Despite a new and clean dirty side PCV, piston blow by still filled the cleanside PCV catch can with crankcase gunk....

Then EricJ said he would use the cfm oil cap again.
So the question I ask, EricJ, is did adding the cfm oil cap stop the cleanside PCV catch can from filling up?

I predict, since the cfm oil cap keeps crankcase pressure at about zero psi, that ericJ's cleanside catch can should be clean, it should not fill up with crankcase gunk, since there is no crankcase pressure. To push thecrankcase gunk into the clean side PCV catch can...

And that same principle ^^ is how the cfm oil cap prevents rear main seal failure, since it is the gunk in cleanside PCV hose that freezes solid in Ice cold weather., and the cfm oil cap vents crankcase pressure...
Hi ThreeNox, So I didn't like the CFM cap much because it left oil residue all over the place. I went with the Delco vented cap, and like it much better. I haven't seen much in the oil catch can lately. But I burned a qt in < 900 miles after an oil change! I also tried a new brand of oil that I've never used in the Nox, so maybe that was part of the problem...IDK. Next oil change I'm going back to Mobil 1 probably....although I had decent results with the generic Amazon full syn at a much lower price. I have about 136K on it now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wondering because I have been looking at a 12 at a dealer I trust. The pistons, rings and timing chain were done by them at 45K it has 73K on it now. It has the goodies I want and is in good shape and a good price.

Just want to know if I still would need to have to worry about the pvc thing or if anything like the oil cap can prevent that for sure.

I could wait for one with a 3.6L and everything I want but maybe not as nice or the price I want.

Guess I can only figure that out.
I know this is a couple months late....but I would NOT buy a used 2012 Nox w/ 2.4 4cyl. I'm nursing mine along at 136K...I'll probably end up changing the pistons & rings myself at some point...or just get a new crate engine...my wife really likes her car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know this is a couple months late....but I would NOT buy a used 2012 Nox w/ 2.4 4cyl. I'm nursing mine along at 136K...I'll probably end up changing the pistons & rings myself at some point...or just get a new crate engine...my wife really likes her car. :rolleyes:
Thanks. I ended up getting a 2014 GMC Terrain with the 3.6L 6 cylinder in it

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi ThreeNox, So I didn't like the CFM cap much because it left oil residue all over the place. I went with the Delco vented cap, and like it much better. I haven't seen much in the oil catch can lately. .
Great info, thanks for the feedback,
I would conclude, based on what you say, that the "oil residue" lleft over the engine around the cfm oil cap, was because......
..... of high crankcase pressure ... from piston blowby... as pressure was venting out cfm oil cap, it was also blowing out crankcase " oil residue" around the inside of your engine around the area of the cfm oil cap.
So instead of having crankcase pressure push "oil residue" back up into your cleanside catch can, it is venting out the oil cap.
Also, I do not recall the temperature when initially replaced your air intake manifold, but I would guess that winter vs summer makes a difference on how much crankcase gunk is collected in your clean side catch can.

On my 3 Equinox's, I have NO "oil residue" around the inside of my engine... after 1 year of use which includes 2 winters, one of which had temperatures of minus 20 degrees F.
To be clear,
After 1 plus year of use, and after someone complained about "smell" inside their equinox, I then added a radiator hose to duct away any possible smell, ( even though I never had smell).
so obviously, any oil residue IF ANY, that would be vented out of oil cap, would be contained within the radiator hose...... and ducted to ground level.
And Like you I also use 100% synthetic oil, but I have NO oil consumption (41k miles on 2013)

I am surprised fc219 oil cap "lately" reduces oil accumulation in your catch can , since I think the cracking pressure of the fc219 oil cap is greater then 1.5 psi, The fc219 oil cap behaves similar to the Oem cap, except for that it vents crankcase at pressure greater then 1.5 psi
AND since you have no "oil residue" inside your engine around the fc219 oil cap, that tells me it is not venting crankcase pressure.... your crankcase is not seeing pressure greater then 1.5 psi.....
Perhaps it is because "lately" it is not winter outside now..
who knows,?
Thanks for the feedback... cheers

·
Registered
145 Posts
Other end of hose, picture taken from front of equinox

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did use cable ties...
top and bottom of hose,

·
Registered
145 Posts
And if I want access to cfm oil cap, I just pull "radiator" hose up and swing it out of the way,,, see red circles,

·
Registered
15 Posts
....... Also, I do not recall the temperature when initially replaced your air intake manifold, but I would guess that winter vs summer makes a difference on how much crankcase gunk is collected in your clean side catch can.
I am surprised fc219 oil cap "lately" reduces oil accumulation in your catch can , since I think the cracking pressure of the fc219 oil cap is greater then 1.5 psi, The fc219 oil cap behaves similar to the Oem cap, except for that it vents crankcase at pressure greater then 1.5 psi
AND since you have no "oil residue" inside your engine around the fc219 oil cap, that tells me it is not venting crankcase pressure.... your crankcase is not seeing pressure greater then 1.5 psi.....
Perhaps it is because "lately" it is not winter outside now..
who knows,?
Thanks for the feedback... cheers
Well, I don't remember the time of year I changed the manifold, but you are correct, that the catch can collects more junk during the winter when it's more humid out, not so much in spring and summer. The radiator hose trick is pretty ingenious!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts